• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1900-O Morgan

23 posts in this topic

Can you post closer pictures? Cropped just to the edge of the coin. It looks like some haze in that area but I can’t tell for sure 

Yep, ain't going to get anywhere with the combination of blur and non-cropping. For a detail like that we need a good sharp shot.

The cropping is much better but as you can see they are not focused. They will appear to us just as blurry as they do on your end. With coins pictures are hard enough but image quality is essential for anyone to give you anything meaningful information wise 

I do see a black spot now atleast haha. 

Edited by Woods020

Sorry, but that simply will not allow any reasonable judgment to be made. Not faulting you, just the reality. Until you can find some way to improve the sharpness of the photos, can't help.

On 7/17/2021 at 11:49 PM, JKK said:

Sorry, but that simply will not allow any reasonable judgment to be made. Not faulting you, just the reality. Until you can find some way to improve the sharpness of the photos, can't help.

PS: The photos are not blurred from camera/phone motion - they are simply out of focus. You might have to move further away from the coin to get a sharp image.

On my old iPhone 7 I get the best natural light I can. Push magnifying up to 2.5-3 .0. Photo setting. Give it a second camera will focus shoot 3-4 snaps pick best one turn coin over repeat. Practice or get an old iPhone cheap.  

On 7/18/2021 at 7:04 PM, ldhall said:

Last Shot lol

Scan.jpeg

Coin photography with iPhones is not really in their “wheelhouse”. My new version SE is better, but not exceptional.  I gave up on phones and moved to an interchangeable lens camera with a dedicated macro lens. I just couldn’t get good enough shots often enough. I realize that’s a big disappointment to people who may be “overtrusting” their phones to be “do everything” devices, but they really aren’t. 

Well this old man has appreciation for a good camera and is ok with my iPhone. I would get a fancy rig but my associate is rolling on the floor laughing at me. I guess he’s got a point!  Why do I need a fancy camera that costs more than our best coin!:roflmao:He’s killing me. Gasping about not having any gold not even a tenth oz coin. Friends can be so cruel 😂

Edited by James Zyskowski

On 7/18/2021 at 8:04 PM, ldhall said:

Last Shot lolScan.thumb.jpeg.e8ec4fb8162d2c7120949097930101df.jpg

That's much better. Move a little farther away until the coin and holder are in sharp focus. Even though the coin image will be smaller, it will have much better detail than the out of focus shots previously posted. (I cropped your "Last Shot" and straightened the 2x2.)

Edited by RWB

On 7/19/2021 at 4:41 PM, ldhall said:

I'm sorry that was a scan picture - can't move it farther away :(

If that was made on a flatbed scanner, you should return it and buy a much better one. The color is ok but nothing is in focus.

To answer your question I think we can pretty much tell you what the spot is. It’s a carbon spot where carbon has built up on the coin. It happens often, but the small black spots that are deep are generally unappealing. Once they get dark black to my knowledge there is no reversing. Even a dip won’t do it, and acetone sure won’t. It’s not the end of the world, but it is generally a negative to a coin. 

As far as grade as we have said not anything really accurate can be shared without clear photos. I can say the cheek looks clean and the fields don’t look too bad. Assuming, and this is just an assumption, there is no wear on the hair or eagle on the reverse you are probably in the MS63-MS65 range. But without being able to really see if there is wear, if the luster remains, are there more marks we can’t see, etc. you can take that grade guess with a grain of salt. 

if you are using a phone the trick is to take the picture from a sufficient distance for the coin to be in sharp focus, then crop the photo down in edit after the photo is done. If you get the phone close to enough to fill the screen with coin it more than likely won’t focus. If you have an iPhone take a clear sharp photo from the least distance the coin is in sharp focus, then go to edit and crop the photo so that the coin fills the screen. Non iPhone I’m sure has similar capabilities but I am not help. 

Most of my coin photos are taken using the family cat. Plug the camera attachment in to the accessory slot just below the tail-piece, and your camera into the USB plug. Pinch the cat's whiskers...your photo will be visible on your PC or phone screen. Here's a picture of the special plug --- easy to use but will not slip out of place.

Image1.jpg

Edited by RWB

On 7/21/2021 at 11:33 AM, RWB said:

Most of my coin photos are taken using the family cat. Plug the camera attachment in to the accessory slot just below the tail-piece, and your camera into the USB plug. Pinch the cat's whiskers...your photo will be visible on your PC or phone screen. Here's a picture of the special plug --- easy to use but will not slip out of place.

Image1.jpg

🙀

On 7/22/2021 at 12:35 AM, ldhall said:

Thanx Woods020 - that makes me feel better. RWB, how much did that run you ?

The cat was free - as they always are - the camera attachment was $7.95 at the local Fuzzy Image store in the half-empty mall.

:)