• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1997 nickel cool find

17 posts in this topic

On 7/16/2021 at 11:37 PM, Coinbuf said:

Just damaged it was sanded or ground down or rubbed against something abrasive, it was not created at the mint that way.

It had a different look and feel thought I’d share!!what you think about this one?

9C09A666-B0E6-4803-9B3E-272C9C6D61C9.jpeg

440A04BC-11D3-415B-A73B-6CF21AC8F0EE.jpeg

@coinjunky May I suggest what are you using to take pictures ? If it an iPhone ? You can get better quality pictures than that (actually really good pictures with an IPhone) . Simply lay coin down flat on black paper or dark blue . Get yourself a small cardboard box lay IPhone flat on box or book stacked up with camera just over the edge of box about 5 inches above the coin (the box or books helps hold your phone steady and flat)  , use zoom on your iPhone to get coin image as full as you can on your screen then shoot a picture , then crop the picture and save it will make it look bigger … 99% of my coins been shot with an IPhone I find “natural” light like about 4 feet from a window shows natural look of coin as if I was looking at the coin in my hands with no bright lights to alter the color of the coin 

practice and practice you’ll get better at it . Once you get it where you like it easy to take multiple pictures of multiple coins but do not try to edit “color” of a coin if you need light ? Try using LED light you can shade it out with “white paper” to stop bright glares on coin surface that show up on photos when using lighting you’ll have play around with distance of lighting above your camera or on side of camera and coin it’s not hard to accomplish just need practice and mess around 

Edited by Jason Abshier

That Germania proof 5 mark I should of tip the coin up a little on angle to stop the doubling glare on the lettering and the devices around the coin (it’s showing shadow doubling in the field of the coin) . Proof coins are sometimes tough to take good picture . But still looks better than some of pictures sellers take online when selling coins like Ebay ! Is full of annoying bad pictures of coins they are trying to sell . 

On 7/16/2021 at 9:46 PM, coinjunky said:

It had a different look and feel thought I’d share!!what you think about this one?

I'm not sure what your question is on the quarter, from your photo it appears to be a lightly circulated coin that is stained or dirty nothing special or worth keeping that I see.

I agree My iPhone 7 is very good. Practice. Natural light seems best. I can now hold the coin and shoot with the other hand. I add +3 magnification and I agree with Jason some very nice pictures coming from older iPhones   I have heard $350 -$1000+ for the camera and lens set up. Then come the how do I use this thing questions !:roflmao:i’m laughing with you as I have problems with instructions and comprehension 

On 7/17/2021 at 10:56 AM, Coinbuf said:

I'm not sure what your question is on the quarter, from your photo it appears to be a lightly circulated coin that is stained or dirty nothing special or worth keeping that I see.

That coin reminds me of a coin that been left in coin dipping solution too long etches the coin have that weird texture look to it almost like environmental damaged coin 

On 7/17/2021 at 10:56 AM, James Zyskowski said:

I agree My iPhone 7 is very good. Practice. Natural light seems best. I can now hold the coin and shoot with the other hand. I add +3 magnification and I agree with Jason some very nice pictures coming from older iPhones   I have heard $350 -$1000+ for the camera and lens set up. Then come the how do I use this thing questions !:roflmao:i’m laughing with you as I have problems with instructions and comprehension 

I do want get a better camera setup for taking some serious pictures of coin , I have been thinking about opening up an online coin business selling some of the personal coins I have in my collection . An IPhone is great tool it takes decent pictures but a better camera will make a world of difference . @Coinbuf shared a few articles with me other day about coin photography and lighting was a really good educational read that’s worth any coin collectors grain of salt to take some serious pictures of coins 

Found this yesterday when I took grandson to skate park. Setting on the ground next to the grandparents bench.  It’s a Cumberland   Pictures courtesy of iPhone 7.   Looks 100 it’s really fairly new. It is worth a quarter 🤓

2E1E0E99-DC62-4A80-A5F2-6D1C6746DD88.jpeg

D35ECC1E-957C-4B7D-A9C2-0EBB9C18AAC6.jpeg

On 7/17/2021 at 11:21 AM, James Zyskowski said:

Found this yesterday when I took grandson to skate park. Setting on the ground next to the grandparents bench.  It’s a Cumberland   Pictures courtesy of iPhone 7.   Looks 100 it’s really fairly new. It is worth a quarter 🤓

2E1E0E99-DC62-4A80-A5F2-6D1C6746DD88.jpeg

D35ECC1E-957C-4B7D-A9C2-0EBB9C18AAC6.jpeg

That’s what environmental damage looks like after while starts to getting a crusty corrosion eats away at the coin surface , and a dipped coin left to long in a dipping solution comes out looking like whole surface been lightly sand blasted 

On 7/17/2021 at 6:41 AM, Jason Abshier said:

That Germania proof 5 mark I should of tip the coin up a little on angle to stop the doubling glare on the lettering and the devices around the coin (it’s showing shadow doubling in the field of the coin) 

That appears to be being caused by the fact that it is still in the capsule. those are reflections seen in the field off the inside of the capsule.

On 7/17/2021 at 6:21 PM, Conder101 said:

That appears to be being caused by the fact that it is still in the capsule. those are reflections seen in the field off the inside of the capsule.

Agree ! I forgotten about the airtite capsule