• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We Are in Bizzarroworld
2 2

117 posts in this topic

On 7/16/2021 at 4:48 PM, DWLange said:

NGC receives large numbers of such "wishful thinking" coins every day. I hit the "sorry" button until my fingers are blistered, but there seems to be no end in sight.

On the other hand, NGC gets paid for every one of those "wishful thinking" coins. (compensation for a blistered finger.)  We don't.

On 7/16/2021 at 9:19 PM, VKurtB said:

Most went to a plating solution when silver became not viable.

Most went to either coppernickel, nickel, or stainless steel.  Plated coins didn't come along until later.  I don't think there were many plated coins until the 80's, long after the changeover from silver.  And we were one of the last to get rid of silver.

On 7/18/2021 at 9:18 AM, Conder101 said:

And we were one of the last to get rid of silver.

What about Mexico? I believe they were truly the last to stop using silver in coins 1977 I believe they minted silver in coins up until 2015 but a very very small trace of silver in coins . Been awhile since I brushed up on South American and Mexican coinage 

I could never understand why the so-called drug cartels, wherever based, and with all the connections they had and presumably still have, never solved the problem of storing vast currency reserves by substituting those assets, in part, for gold or silver bullion reserves. . .

On 7/18/2021 at 11:35 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

I could never understand why the so-called drug cartels, wherever based, and with all the connections they had and presumably still have, never solved the problem of storing vast currency reserves by substituting those assets, in part, for gold or silver bullion reserves. . .

@Quintus Arrius they probably do who knows there probably a drug lord out there that has all the MS67 rooster 🐓 you’re looking for the entire series right there hidden in their secret mansion bought with dirty deeds and drugs 

@Quintus Arrius you’re a good guy . Have you seen the movie the Mule ? With Clint Eastwood in it he worked for drug cartel doing deliveries he made a lot money doing so . You could do that ask for your payment to be made in the finest known gold roosters… but in the end of movie he winded up in jail (true story) so I don’t know if it’s all worth going to jail just for gold roosters 

@James Zyskowski I would not want to dispute the USG's claim that they were unable to locate any of "El Chapo's" assets for the purposes of forfeiture, but maybe the unprecedented fine the Federal court imposed and the recent arrest of his wife -- mother of his two girls -- will yield a bounty of new information.  

(To @Oldhoopster:  One sentence. Short and simple enough for you?) :whistle: 

On 7/18/2021 at 12:02 PM, Jason Abshier said:

@Quintus Arrius they probably do who knows there probably a drug lord out there that has all the MS67 rooster 🐓 you’re looking for the entire series right there hidden in their secret mansion bought with dirty deeds and drugs 

@RWB hit the nail on the head two years ago with his common sense remark that not enough of them [in the highest grades] have been submitted for certification either here or abroad.

On 7/18/2021 at 1:50 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@RWB hit the nail on the head two years ago with his common sense remark that not enough of them [in the highest grades] have been submitted for certification either here or abroad.

Especially abroad. Many superb gem coins reside in velvet trays in wooden cabinets and leather briefcases. Not so much in proprietary plastic tombs. Ours is primarily an American fetish. We try to infect the world with it. I hope they stay strong. 

On 7/18/2021 at 5:48 PM, VKurtB said:

Not so much in proprietary plastic tombs. Ours is primarily an American fetish. We try to infect the world with it. I hope they stay strong. 

@VKurtB Have you did any bidding on French live auctions lately ? Last year I just gotten back into French auctions I came across some newer slabs by a French grading company called GENI. I looked them up seems like they just came out few years ago I read a little I think they have a grading scale 1-100 . It’s a matter of time before their slabbing service takes off over there . I haven’t bought any of their slabbed coins I mostly prefer my world coins raw I’m 50/50 on raw and slabbed world coins 

88BEAF77-43AD-46C4-82A2-A9F0E286DEE5.jpeg

54C74DE5-66E0-4C97-99BA-9F8E90A6866A.jpeg

E37523A7-19FF-48B7-B9C7-B18102FB7B35.jpeg

Why do the French octagonal slabs have English language labels? From the left side of the images, the scale seems to be 1-100 for each adjectival grade.  ?

Edited by RWB

On 7/18/2021 at 6:06 PM, RWB said:

Why do the French octagonal slabs have English language labels? From the left side of the images, the scale seems to be 1-100 for each adjectival grade.  ?

Pretty amazing stuff, no? That Nazi 2(?) Mark reminds me of a local “thing” I’ve discovered here in Northern Alabama. I have never seen so many mint state Nazi coins at one show in my entire LIFE! I saw some in Pennsylvania, but not like THIS!! They’re thick as flies on doggie poo.

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/18/2021 at 7:06 PM, RWB said:

The product of innovative minds at work.  "If that crazy 🐓 guy from the U.S. orders again, give him what he wants."  I am guessing with all the money to be made between just the MS-66 and MS-67 grades, effectively doubling the value of many coins, NGC and PCGS slabs from Europe bear the Gad[oury]-1064 French classification but with a Sheldon grade chosen from out of the Fleurs de Coin (FDC) range: MS-65 to MS-70 to satisfy one of their major secondary markets: the U.S.  GENI stepped in to fill the void locally in Europe in 2017 anticipating a sea change in grading introduced to satisfy international demand.  I was unaware of this TPGS until member @Jason Abshier brought it up recently on another thread and, sure enough, it was listed in all my catalogs.  I did not know about it because I wasn't looking for it specifically. I didn't even know there were 100 gradations until you just mentioned it. I am surprised my European contacts never brought that option to my attention.  You learn something new every day. Incidentally, the slabs are much larger than your standard size.

On 7/18/2021 at 8:17 PM, VKurtB said:

Pretty amazing stuff, no? That Nazi 2(?) Mark reminds me of a local “thing” I’ve discovered here in Northern Alabama. I have never seen so many mint state Nazi coins at one show in my entire LIFE! I saw some in Pennsylvania, but not like THIS!! They’re thick as flies on doggie poo.

@VKurtB sorry about the german 3rd reich coin these pictures aren’t mine they were on net . I don’t support nazis however I do have few german coins with the Swastika in my collection only for numismatic reasons it was a time in German history it did happen 

On 7/18/2021 at 8:32 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I did not know about it because I wasn't looking for it specifically. I didn't even know there were 100 gradations until you just mentioned it

@Quintus Arrius I’m not really sure how their grading standard are but if you look in picture on left side of GENI slabbed coin you’ll notice strange grades like XF99 and AU99 and so on I read an article I can’t find it anymore explaining their grading scale 1-100 … but I also notice some MS63 -MS65 and so as well kinda confusing a little 

On 7/18/2021 at 7:06 PM, RWB said:

I read an article awhile back about GENI grading standard it was confusing how their grading scale worked 1-100 , but I also seen some MS63-MS65 as well . But I do notice some have like AU99 or AU97 graded on left side of the slab sometimes or XF80 strange number grading I have hard time finding any more information about GENI but they are there and collectors over there are submitting and buying graded GENI coins in holders 

Edited by Jason Abshier

On 7/18/2021 at 8:36 PM, Jason Abshier said:

@VKurtB sorry about the german 3rd reich coin these pictures aren’t mine they were on net . I don’t support nazis however I do have few german coins with the Swastika in my collection only for numismatic reasons it was a time in German history it did happen 

Perfectly understandable.

On 7/18/2021 at 7:36 PM, Jason Abshier said:

I’m not offended. I am of mixed Hoch Deutsch and Swiss-based Germanic pacifist (plain people of Pennsylvania) heritage. My mother grew up riding in a horse and buggy. I have a really high grade 1938 2 mark vonHindenburg in my collection.

On 7/18/2021 at 8:49 PM, VKurtB said:

I’m not offended. I am of mixed Hoch Deutsch and Swiss-based Germanic pacifist

Same here I’m sure you can tell by my last name it’s German and I really love my pork and sauerkraut 😉

On 7/18/2021 at 8:04 PM, Jason Abshier said:

Same here I’m sure you can tell by my last name it’s German and I really love my pork and sauerkraut 😉

Completely! I found a way to make really sauer kraut more palatable to those who find it “too much”, at least for New Year’s Day. I rinse the sauerkraut NOT SO THOROUGHLY and replace the moisture with leftover Champagne from the night before. For those not accustomed to the more intense kraut, it is a big hit. 

On 7/18/2021 at 9:13 PM, VKurtB said:

Completely! I found a way to make really sauer kraut more palatable to those who find it “too much”, at least for New Year’s Day. I rinse the sauerkraut NOT SO THOROUGHLY and replace the moisture with leftover Champagne from the night before. For those not accustomed to the more intense kraut, it is a big hit. 

I like it straight out of the can however my wife is little picky about it I rinse it out as well mix in a little brown sugar to sweeten it up . 

my great grandmother always put beer in her homemade stuffing during thanksgiving she said it was an old German tradition to put beer in a lot foods back then , my grandmother did , my father did and now to this day on thanksgiving I still dump beer in my homemade stuffing , I’ve had guest come over my house and ask me “did you put beer in this” I simply reply “yes , we are German and we love our beer” 

On 7/18/2021 at 8:49 PM, Jason Abshier said:

I like it straight out of the can however my wife is little picky about it I rinse it out as well mix in a little brown sugar to sweeten it up . 

my great grandmother always put beer in her homemade stuffing during thanksgiving she said it was an old German tradition to put beer in a lot foods back then , my grandmother did , my father did and now to this day on thanksgiving I still dump beer in my homemade stuffing , I’ve had guest come over my house and ask me “did you put beer in this” I simply reply “yes , we are German and we love our beer” 

Same basic idea, I guess. I was always partial to the plastic pouch packaging. Locally produced. I’m told there are Alabama Amish. I haven’t found then yet, but I have tried their fruit preserves.

Edited by VKurtB

Thanks for a discussion about a tricky subject. My young numismatist is where the rubber meets the road. Been said alot those who forget history are bound to repeat it. I gently explain a little and how bad it can be. He’s a stamp collector. I use the same gentle explanation when trying to answer questions about state flags changing their look. People have the amazing ability to grow and change 

On 7/19/2021 at 9:01 AM, James Zyskowski said:

Thanks for a discussion about a tricky subject. My young numismatist is where the rubber meets the road. Been said alot those who forget history are bound to repeat it. I gently explain a little and how bad it can be. He’s a stamp collector. I use the same gentle explanation when trying to answer questions about state flags changing their look. People have the amazing ability to grow and change 

...more so when given the truth.

On 7/18/2021 at 9:51 PM, VKurtB said:

Same basic idea, I guess. I was always partial to the plastic pouch packaging. Locally produced. I’m told there are Alabama Amish. I haven’t found then yet, but I have tried their fruit preserves.

I wouldn’t know about Alabama . But I knew when we had a deer camp in Mayport PA (Jefferson county) we had Amish around us they amazed me everytime with their handy work we wanted a wooden shed built behind our camp they had that thing done in 2 days !!! All with hand tools no lie ! It would of took me a whole week or so to build that’s even cheating using power tools , They even transported 2 full cords of wood dumped and stacked in 1 day … only thing I disapprove of the Amish is their puppy mill breeding . They are responsible for a lot of the puppy mill breeding it’s not a healthy subject to to talk about 

Edited by Jason Abshier

On 7/19/2021 at 12:20 PM, Jason Abshier said:

I wouldn’t know about Alabama . But I knew when we had a deer camp in Mayport PA (Jefferson county) we had Amish around us they amazed me everytime with their handy work we wanted a wooden shed built behind our camp they had that thing done in 2 days !!! All with hand tools no lie ! It would of took me a whole week or so to build that’s even cheating using power tools , They even transported 2 full cords of wood dumped and stacked in 1 day … only thing I disapprove of the Amish is their puppy mill breeding . They are responsible for a lot of the puppy mill breeding it’s not a healthy subject to to talk about 

When I lived in rural Lancaster County, I didn’t have to look for them. Half the families on my road were Amish.

On 7/19/2021 at 10:20 AM, Jason Abshier said:

I spent early years in Reno County, Kansas, near a place called Yoder, which is Old Order Amish country. Lots of Mennonites as well (varying degrees of conservatism), plus a Mennonite college one county over in McPherson. You can't sneeze there without excusing yourself to a Schrock, or Unruh, or Yoder, or Stoltzfus. You know you're in Anabaptist country when you see the buggy caution signs on rural highways. In WA, where I lived for sixteen years, it was Hutterites and Old German Baptists (Dunkers). The bonnet was a common sight at fruit stands in town.

Being from a beer drinking family, we collect steins. My grandmother who came from the French German border, German side in 1899, insisted we eat sauer kraut to replenish the 'good' bacteria in our stomachs that the alcohol depletes.

On 7/18/2021 at 9:51 PM, VKurtB said:

I’m told there are Alabama Amish. I haven’t found then yet, but I have tried their fruit preserves.

AND?????? Were they any good????hm  I was just in Alabama this weekend at Lake Martin.  Beautiful lake! Thought about ya though VKurtB (just for a second....) :roflmao: