• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We Are in Bizzarroworld
2 2

117 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2021 at 1:14 PM, ronnie stein said:

Being from a beer drinking family, we collect steins. My grandmother who came from the French German border, German side in 1899, insisted we eat sauer kraut to replenish the 'good' bacteria in our stomachs that the alcohol depletes.

Ethnic German Alsace then? Been there. Gorgeous country. Great wines too.

On 7/17/2021 at 1:14 PM, VKurtB said:

I was still awake enough on the second one to be aware of them cutting my cornea open. Y

Had both eyes done and was wide awake for it all including the implants.

On 7/19/2021 at 1:15 PM, GBrad said:

AND?????? Were they any good????hm  I was just in Alabama this weekend at Lake Martin.  Beautiful lake! Thought about ya though VKurtB (just for a second....) :roflmao:

The preserves were just like back home in Lancaster County. 

On 7/19/2021 at 2:17 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Had both eyes done and was wide awake for it all including the implants.

Please excuse me while I go hurl!!!!! My wife works in the Ophthalmology field.  I can't even let them test my pressure without having to be sedated!

On 7/18/2021 at 7:06 PM, RWB said:

Why do the French octagonal slabs have English language labels?

In Europe, North, South, East and West English is the Business Language and French is the Diplomatic Language,

On 7/19/2021 at 2:20 PM, GBrad said:

I can't even let them test my pressure without having to be sedated!

The Doc used some drops pre-surgery and there was no pain or discomfort.  

On 7/19/2021 at 2:25 PM, Alex in PA. said:

The Doc used some drops pre-surgery and there was no pain or discomfort.  

Yup, I know what those are, can't remember the name of them shame on me (after 23 years of marriage you'd think I'd know).  The first time they checked my pressure many many many moons ago, I didn't even realize they actually touched my eyeball with the slit lamp (I think that's the right term for that machine) because I didn't feel anything which was definitely a good thing.  But when the wife told me they did..... OH boy.... I almost came unglued.  Something about my eyes... I guess I have some type of phobia.  I'm sure QA would know the term for that right off the top of his head.....lol.

On 7/19/2021 at 2:37 PM, GBrad said:

Yup, I know what those are,

My eye was wide open and they had the left taped shut.  One minute I saw and the next nothing.  I was sent home with a patch over the eye and told to leave it on for 6 hours.  Okay, took it off and everything in the room was sideways.  :roflmao:

Panicked and put the patch on for another six, took it off, and this time I was amazed and how brilliant and clear television was and the colors.  Went back the next day and had the other eye done.  Don't regret it in the least.  These Lens Implants I have are guaranteed for 100 years!  This was 15 years ago so I can't imagine what they can do today.

On 7/19/2021 at 1:50 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[Interesting how we went from auction shills to puppy dog 🐕 mills.  Bizarroworld, indeed!]

Auctions are an integral part of Amish culture, just as libertarian views of things like puppy mills are. I know the biblical roots of the latter (dominion over the beasts) but not the former. 

Something about my eyes... I guess I have some type of phobia.  

No, I was very nervous not knowing what was going to happen if doctor made a mistake.

On 7/19/2021 at 2:08 PM, Alex in PA. said:

No, I was very nervous not knowing what was going to happen if doctor made a mistake.

But that never happens, … does it? Or are only our contemporary numismatic authors incapable of error?

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/19/2021 at 4:05 PM, VKurtB said:

But that never happens,

Not that I know of.  :facepalm:

In what was, perhaps, the most publicized case of a surgical mistake in its time, a Tampa (Florida) surgeon mistakenly removed the wrong leg of his patient, 52-year-old Willie King, during an amputation procedure in February 1995.

On 7/19/2021 at 3:41 PM, Alex in PA. said:

In what was, perhaps, the most publicized case of a surgical mistake in its time, a Tampa (Florida) surgeon mistakenly removed the wrong leg of his patient, 52-year-old Willie King, during an amputation procedure in February 1995.

Unfortunately, I've seen medical reports & claims that involved things like this more than once in my career.

I think it's the norm these days, but not sure if it's independent hospital/ASC policy, but somebody should be marking the body part or area with a non-toxic marker while the patient is still awake and prior to anesthesia so that there's no dispute later from whomever starts the procedure.

On 7/19/2021 at 4:10 PM, Crawtomatic said:

Unfortunately, I've seen medical reports & claims that involved things like this more than once in my career.

I think it's the norm these days, but not sure if it's independent hospital/ASC policy, but somebody should be marking the body part or area with a non-toxic marker while the patient is still awake and prior to anesthesia so that there's no dispute later from whomever starts the procedure.

In the last five surgeries I know of personally, one of mine plus four of my wife’s, this is precisely what was done.

On 7/19/2021 at 5:10 PM, Crawtomatic said:

but somebody should be marking the body part or area with a non-toxic marker while the patient is still awake

That should be every hospital's policy.  Now that you brought it up I will have that done if needed.

On 7/19/2021 at 4:40 PM, Alex in PA. said:

That should be every hospital's policy.  Now that you brought it up I will have that done if needed.

Penn State Hershey does it as a policy. But you’re probably closer to Geisinger. I haven’t been up there since I sold X-Ray film in the 70’s. 

On 7/19/2021 at 5:43 PM, VKurtB said:

you’re probably closer to Geisinger.

No.  UPMC (University of Pittsburg Medical Center) bought Lock Haven Hospital.  Pretty much all I've had is UPMC now.  

On 7/19/2021 at 5:22 PM, VKurtB said:

In the last five surgeries I know of personally, one of mine plus four of my wife’s, this is precisely what was done.

In both my hip-replacement in 1999 and hip re-replacement in 2018, performed in different hospitals in NYC, a marker was used to identify the limb involved. 

On 7/19/2021 at 6:59 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

In both my hip-replacement in 1999 and hip re-replacement in 2018, performed in different hospitals in NYC, a marker was used to identify the limb involved. 

For her knee replacement, they not only did markings for the correct side, but they did about twenty parallel lines perpendicular to the planned incision so that they could avoid misalignment of the skin while closing. No “bunching” or puckering.

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/18/2021 at 11:01 AM, Jason Abshier said:

What about Mexico? I believe they were truly the last to stop using silver in coins 1977

From what I see their last circulation coin with silver were the one peso coins and the last silver ones were made in 1967. (.100 fine)  They did briefly return to silver circulation coins after the currency reform for the 10, 20, and 50 New Peso coins 1992 - 95.

On 7/18/2021 at 7:06 PM, RWB said:

From the left side of the images, the scale seems to be 1-100 for each adjectival grade.  ?

They appear to be the same standard Sheldon grades except they are using 99 to indicate a problem coin such as cleaning or damage.

Something about my eyes... I guess I have some type of phobia

Same reason I'm avoiding back surgery.  They want to go in a chip away calcium deposits growing on the inside of my vertebra pressing on my spinal cord.  The idea of them chipping at something next to the cord bothers me.

Just in the past few days there was a story where they transplanted a kidney into the wrong patient.

Evidently, I was wrong in assuming they would yield to the existing French grading scheme but something tells me with so many sides to work with -- and a fairly low profile for a concern that's been around going on five years, they may be trying to appeal to a wide variety of coin collectors saddled with their own country's grading system.  The slabs, judging by a picture of one being held in someone's palm is massive.  Sound plausible?

On 7/20/2021 at 7:16 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Evidently, I was wrong in assuming they would yield to the existing French grading scheme but something tells me with so many sides to work with -- and a fairly low profile for a concern that's been around going on five years, they may be trying to appeal to a wide variety of coin collectors saddled with their own country's grading system.  The slabs, judging by a picture of one being held in someone's palm is massive.  Sound plausible?

The slabs for "Panama Pills" are even larger....?

;)

On 7/21/2021 at 9:26 AM, RWB said:

The slabs for "Panama Pills" are even larger....?

;)

Idk if you are joking or not. Both the 2-1/2 cent "Panamanian pill" and massive 20 Balboa 4-oz  [sterling] silver coin would likely require their own custom-made holders. The GENI 4-prong octagonal holder is standard but would have to have a modified line to accommodate the smallest and largest of coins. As I recall, the One Kilo silver bullion Australian Kookaburra coins were presented in their own original Perth Mint lucite holders.

Aside:  I have found, without exception, that if you take a numismatic or bullion bar to a local gold & silver exchange, they will not respect a hallmark such as Englehardt and insist on testing your precious metal using intrusive methods such as drilling and treating it as one would common "scrap" destined for melting.  None will bother using standard weights and measurements to determine authenticity. Finally, none will make an offer. They will test your knowledge first asking, How much do you want for it?  It goes without saying a pawnshop will take you to the cleaners.

Bullion business buyers try to intimidate and stretch the margin whenever they can. It is not possible to verify anything about a gold or silver bullion piece stuck in a sealed holder. The assumption is that it is a nice looking fake.

On 7/21/2021 at 8:10 PM, RWB said:

Bullion business buyers try to intimidate and stretch the margin whenever they can. It is not possible to verify anything about a gold or silver bullion piece stuck in a sealed holder. The assumption is that it is a nice looking fake.

Nothing in sealed holders. Engelhardt 100 oz bars were distributed in original cardboard 📦 boxes.  The kilo-sized Kookaburra was fully accessible in a Mint issued air-tite capsule.