• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We Are in Bizzarroworld
2 2

117 posts in this topic

On 7/16/2021 at 2:08 PM, Coinbuf said:

People do not want to go back to work so they have turned to the get rich quick youtube hucksters for those sure fire ways to get rich from the in your pocket.   Its not that these folks are interested in collecting or the hobby, just how rich can I get and how fast because they are lazy.

Except: It was this way before the pandemic. Well before it.

On 7/16/2021 at 11:00 AM, JKK said:

One way would be to stop responding to argumentative ignoramuses once they have been told that their parking lot coin or their Jesus-shaped mint mark is PMD, gotten mad, been ridiculed, and then decided that they'll now have the only fun they are going to have here by trolling. We end up with very long threads whose very size might tend to confer at least some potential cred upon bull*spoon* in the eyes of the observing novice.

If someone would tell them, once, credibly, that it's nothing special, and no one kept dignifying the subsequent lack_of_teachability with continuing to engage, maybe they wouldn't keep trolling and drawing in the resident troll enablers who make sure to charge up the paddles to shock to life any such thread when it looks like it might finally stop wasting time. As it is, we serve them up weeks of juvenile fun spiking all the grumpy old fogies' BP while they keep posting pics that even they know are not worth the bits used to make the images. It's the social equivalent of a bratty kid who can't have his elders' approval, so he goes for their annoyance.

This is one I recently had a discussion with myself about. You have to simply be ok saying what needs saying and move on. Even if that means letting them seemingly recuse their ignorance. Now if I will just listen to what I told me in that stern talking to all will be well 😂

On 7/16/2021 at 11:37 AM, Jason Abshier said:

Iron city beer used to be okay back Then up until the late 90’s rumors were floating around they were weren’t paying their water bill hanging on bankruptcies and they were tapped into the river next to the sewage plant using river water 🤣 always wonder why I got headaches after drinking I.C

now a days I’m Team RWB . @RWBdrink RWB juice while you read some RWB book on coins and minting *warning ! After drinking so many RWBs you’ll start to notice every coin you see is a double die ! That’s only a short term side effect of RWB juice*

BF75E9DA-C65E-40B3-842D-A29FBA121EF7.jpeg

RWB and Pottsville, PA are a match made in heaven. Only those who have been to Pottsville will understand the “shade throwing” that represents. 

On 7/16/2021 at 4:08 PM, Coinbuf said:

The intellectual level in the US is dropping and will continue to do so until the education system stops teaching opinions.

Bravi,  bravi, bravissimi. . 

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/16/2021 at 5:27 PM, VKurtB said:

This. If you don’t have legit experience in this field, you have no stinking business including the word *coin* in your handle. Those of you of a certain age or cable lineup will understand the following reference.  It’s like Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies using the word “doctor” for what she does. 

Irene Ryan is the great forgotten genia of women's comedy. That voice sounded like someone tearing up a bag of old bedsheets. I still howl with laughter when she cuts loose in protest, or talks about her rheumatiz medicine.

On 7/16/2021 at 12:46 PM, JKK said:

Don't forget....usernames like "coinz4u" or "KoinKapone" or "coinbadazz." Truth told, when I see one of those I already know what's coming.

On the other hand, @cladking called clad coins a technological marvel and I went from regarding them as repugnant genetic mutations to being an acceptable form of modern coinage. Bizzaroworld, sho nuff.

On 7/16/2021 at 8:02 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

On the other hand, @cladking called clad coins a technological marvel and I went from regarding them as repugnant genetic mutations to being an acceptable form of modern coinage. Bizzaroworld, sho nuff.

I still don’t fully understand why we went to a clad coin, and virtually no other major nation did. Most went to a plating solution when silver became not viable.

What if we post the ten most asked questions. Then list some  possible answers for each. Update it as needed. Kinda prescreening  The poster then eliminates answers and hopefully is directed to a relevant question. Post a quick list of most requested information photos weight size. With a little work it might be done. Seems like intelligent folks around here should be able to figure this out. Just a thought?

On 7/16/2021 at 4:56 PM, James Zyskowski said:

This forum sez newbie. That in and of itself opens the door to anyone

This is a topic of discussion I have had with several members in the past via messaging. The consensus amongst those discussions was that the term "Newbie" could possibly be re-named to something more (or less) inviting to "new comers" and collectors (hey, there's a decent label...."New Comer").  Maybe a mod will see this and take it to heart.  I myself never really liked the label "Newbie", made me feel like a insufficiently_thoughtful_person to even ask a question amongst the pros but I did because I am thick skinned.  New coin collectors do not need to be labeled as any type of distinguished, veteran, or experienced collector, etc...... until they have proven themselves in their knowledge of numismatics.  

On 7/16/2021 at 11:19 PM, GBrad said:

insufficiently_thoughtful_person

wow..... I didn't even use the word "I..D..I..O..T"  and it still auto corrected. hm

Edited by GBrad

On 7/16/2021 at 11:21 PM, VKurtB said:

We need much more of that in the younger generation. So emotionally fragile!

It's a total tragedy what this new generation has brought (or should I say HAS NOT brought) to the table. It saddens me to think what this world will be like in another 10 years and not to mention numismatics.......  Very sad.  

Edited by GBrad

Ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to almost every middle and high school teachers daily challenge. I wouldn’t want them to give up    Now we have a list of complaints is it not time to work on them      Or complain and never get anything done 

On 7/17/2021 at 7:47 AM, Oldhoopster said:

should I get it graded

Answering this one in the negative (the usually correct answer) does make me sad nonetheless, given who our hosts are.

To me, this is the equivalent of holding out a handful of pocket change and asking "Is anything valuable?  I don't want to waste my time doing any research. Just give me an answer"  

I believe this is because they have a fundamental lack of understanding of probability. They believe it’s a 50/50 shot, or close to it.

That gets lost on the net.

I guess THIS is the underlying point from me. LOTS gets lost on the net, some EXTREMELY important things around this field in particular get lost on the net. It’s a bad medium for this field. 

I understand that lots of people are okay with shipping stuff back and forth, and returning coins that didn’t meet their standards, and the concomitant delays. I am not. I’d rather stick needles in my eyes than deal with shipping.

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/17/2021 at 11:45 AM, James Zyskowski said:

No no we need you to help inspect rabbit holes and such. Not the eyes 👀🙀😵💫

Not needles exactly, but I’ve had cataract surgery and I was still awake enough on the second one to be aware of them cutting my cornea open. YIKES!

Here’s a quote from an unrelated story about how conspiracies and misinformation are aided by the Internet:

”Michael Barkun, professor emeritus of political science at Syracuse University's Maxwell School, said internet forums and social media platforms have served as mass media outlets without gatekeepers. They allow unconventional ideas to quickly become mainstream.

“Now anyone with an idea, no matter how bizarre, has a way of potentially getting it in front of fairly large audiences,” he said. “That has eroded what was once a firm boundary between the fringe and the mainstream.”

On 7/17/2021 at 8:47 AM, Oldhoopster said:

Just a few random comments...

I hate long, rambling posts that could make an equivalent point with only 20% of the words ...

Iknowwhatchamean!  🐓

I have been following this for a while now and tried to bite my tongue. I for one research a lot and submit a little for your review. This week I went and watched a group of 9 year old kids play an all-star baseball game. When the game ended I was foolish enough to ask who won. A mother of one of the kids said to me "we don't keep score, we just want them to feel good about them self's." If there is no winner then they all are losers, If people are not taught that there is a difference in doing something right and just doing something this is what happens. When the get a job they think the should get paid just for being there. Then think they should get paid the same as a person that works hard and get promoted. My coin with a PMD flatted S, should be worth as much as that coin. If there was a company that gave some selling an approval certificate, and could with draw it if they did not meet a standard, it would help all the new coin collectors. Then people could chose to buy from a certified dealer or just get what ever someone want from someone out to make money. 

On 7/17/2021 at 12:50 PM, Rummy13 said:

I have been following this for a while now and tried to bite my tongue. I for one research a lot and submit a little for your review. This week I went and watched a group of 9 year old kids play an all-star baseball game. When the game ended I was foolish enough to ask who won. A mother of one of the kids said to me "we don't keep score, we just want them to feel good about them self's." If there is no winner then they all are losers, If people are not taught that there is a difference in doing something right and just doing something this is what happens. When the get a job they think the should get paid just for being there. Then think they should get paid the same as a person that works hard and get promoted. My coin with a PMD flatted S, should be worth as much as that coin. If there was a company that gave some selling an approval certificate, and could with draw it if they did not meet a standard, it would help all the new coin collectors. Then people could chose to buy from a certified dealer or just get what ever someone want from someone out to make money. 

The other one that gets my blood boiling is, “my opinion is as good as yours, because they’re both opinions”. Noooo, that’s not how the real world works, “flowsnakes”. Ask any trial judge. The only people allowed to give opinions are certified experts. 

I’m really confused with your response. It’s like you’re describing events that occur daily kids baseball parental views. Then a description of the normal business of buying and selling coins.  Ofcourse the buyer has options. I think you are referring to TPG and coin value mags perhaps eBay sold prices as something rare or unavailable. :whistle: