• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with numismatic terminology please

5 posts in this topic

Been collecting for awhile but I continue to see this phrase (from K-7)  pop-up occasionally on other sites when comparing my finds to online databases. I'm not completely sure what it is referring to.  Tried to google it but haven't found a definition or description as to exactly what this means.  Here's a copy and pasted example from coppercoins.com

Strong doubling from K-7 shows on all upper reverse details

Thanks for your comments!

On 7/15/2021 at 3:50 PM, DWLange said:

I believe it refers to a clock position; 7 o'clock would thus be at the lower left on a coin or medal. In the instance cited by the poster, K-7 refers to the pivot point from which the doubled image emanates, so this doubling would become more pronounced the further it is from that position.

Years ago there was a device for measuring degrees of rotation between dies, or the Kolit Scale. Evidently, Kolit was the fellow who created this tool, and the K positions are still used by some. I'm not certain whether this use of "K" applies to the example cited.

One of the best answers EVER. 

On 7/15/2021 at 4:50 PM, DWLange said:

I believe it refers to a clock position; 7 o'clock would thus be at the lower left on a coin or medal. In the instance cited by the poster, K-7 refers to the pivot point from which the doubled image emanates, so this doubling would become more pronounced the further it is from that position.

Years ago there was a device for measuring degrees of rotation between dies, or the Kolit Scale. Evidently, Kolit was the fellow who created this tool, and the K positions are still used by some. I'm not certain whether this use of "K" applies to the example cited.

Thank you very much DWLange.  That is some good information.  I assumed it was referring to some type of an orientation on the coin but I was just not sure of the exact meaning.  Here is the link from copper coins which I was referring to regarding the K-7.

http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1968&die_id=1968d1dr001&die_state=mds

Edited by GBrad