• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 "Top Pop" graded coins
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I have received "Top Pop" designation on several 2021 and 1978 coins that I have recently submitted. Is the designation significant? How much of an increase in value does it command if any? Thanks

On 7/15/2021 at 8:18 AM, Rigs said:

I have received "Top Pop" designation on several 2021 and 1978 coins that I have recently submitted. Is the designation significant? How much of an increase in value does it command if any? Thanks

Depends on the coin sometimes good, sometimes mehh and sometimes no one cares. Check the population reports if it has a population of 1 could be very good, if there are 100,000+ probably less significant. Without knowing which coins I couldn't really say but in general, yes, a top pop would carry a premium.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

On 7/15/2021 at 2:05 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Depends on the coin sometimes good, sometimes mehh and sometimes no one cares. Check the population reports if it has a population of 1 could be very good, if there are 100,000+ probably less significant. Without knowing which coins I couldn't really say but in general, yes, a top pop would carry a premium.

I don't know. I have an MS65 Zimbabwe dime that is a  TOP POP and I would not expect that to hold up if there was enough demand to get more graded. It is the only one graded so it is the best! lol At the end of the day I think it's all just marketing and comparing sticks. lol

On 7/15/2021 at 7:43 PM, Revenant said:

I don't know. I have an MS65 Zimbabwe dime that is a  TOP POP and I would not expect that to hold up if there was enough demand to get more graded. It is the only one graded so it is the best! lol At the end of the day I think it's all just marketing and comparing sticks. lol

Yep, absolutely. I would put the Zim MS65 in the "no one cares" category. I have many Top Pop coins, most in the "no one cares" category, and truthfully I would say that the Top Pop designation is irrelevant for 90% of them and the 10% where the designation might matter it's only a matter of time before it doesn't. But it's still fun to have a Top Pop, just picked one up the other day.:bigsmile:

On 7/15/2021 at 1:40 PM, VKurtB said:

Are they 70 graded? All 70’s are top pops. Now if you have a top pop below 70, that bears some interest.

All are 70 graded with relatively low population #s. Price guide shows $345 for the 1978s 5c 70 UC but no prices for the 2021 50c,5c,10c and 25c that are all graded 70 UC, top pop. Is there a best of the best?

On 7/16/2021 at 6:58 AM, Rigs said:

All are 70 graded with relatively low population #s. Price guide shows $345 for the 1978s 5c 70 UC but no prices for the 2021 50c,5c,10c and 25c that are all graded 70 UC, top pop. Is there a best of the best?

70 is perfect under 5x IIRC.

The pop numbers on the 2021s will probably increase over time.

They do tend to get a 3 or 4x mark up over 69s. They are nice - for when people want to spend the money on them.