A very interesting question about Grading.
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Few photos and questions.
Two blank planchets identified like "Estonia"
So the question is why Estonia? Why not Austria, or France, or Latvia, or Portugal? How to recognize the Country?
And the final question.
If I will write in description like on the photo, do I get them with countries which are written?

5 eurocent.jpg

2 euro.jpg

IMG_20210715_123932.jpg

IMG_20210715_123940.jpg

Your question is about attribution, not grading.

This is likely something only the authentication company (NGC) can answer.

On 7/15/2021 at 6:26 AM, medved said:

So the question is why Estonia? Why not Austria, or France, or Latvia, or Portugal? How to recognize the Country?
And the final question.
If I will write in description like on the photo, do I get them with countries which are written?

5 eurocent.jpg

2 euro.jpg

IMG_20210715_123932.jpg

IMG_20210715_123940.jpg

Documentation, sometimes simple, sometimes complicated, (like provenance from auction), if the French Planchet was 2.8g and the Latvia was 2.5g and both Metallurgically the same...then certain aspects could be matched to which mint produced. I was adding to my U.S. struck Foreign coin collection and I enjoyed the comparisons in my mind of which mistakes have happened and which ones we know of etc,..pretty cool stuff...could also be the Boys and Girls doing direct submission then returning them to the U.S. market, which might account for a few more Obscure coins from obscure countries slabbed. More POPULATIONS of graded coins of 1 only and/or 2,3...5,6 certified now/soon/then...etc..

On 7/15/2021 at 6:26 AM, medved said:

And the final question.

5 eurocent.jpg

2 euro.jpg

IMG_20210715_123932.jpg

IMG_20210715_123940.jpg

Sorry, your last question I think that I was submitting Canadian coins recently and was selecting which ones for the Canada special holder red images I think..they have a list of countries that they can do that, as of a couple weeks ago..

It's likely that NGC had some sort of documentation that pointed to this being Estonia. Perhaps the coin came from a mint roll of Estonian coins or even sealed in a mint set of Estonian coins. Or it is possible that the submitter wrote down Estonia and when entered into the NGC system, the person confirmed it met Estonian secs and didn't look any further.

Given the fact that there is really $0 value difference between this being from Estonia and Austria or France or any other country, and the coin isn't exactly valuable as is, they probably aren't going to be super strict on documentation.