• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A very interesting question about Grading.
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Few photos and questions.
Two blank planchets identified like "Estonia"
So the question is why Estonia? Why not Austria, or France, or Latvia, or Portugal? How to recognize the Country?
And the final question.
If I will write in description like on the photo, do I get them with countries which are written?

5 eurocent.jpg

2 euro.jpg

IMG_20210715_123932.jpg

IMG_20210715_123940.jpg

Your question is about attribution, not grading.

This is likely something only the authentication company (NGC) can answer.

On 7/15/2021 at 6:26 AM, medved said:

So the question is why Estonia? Why not Austria, or France, or Latvia, or Portugal? How to recognize the Country?
And the final question.
If I will write in description like on the photo, do I get them with countries which are written?

5 eurocent.jpg

2 euro.jpg

IMG_20210715_123932.jpg

IMG_20210715_123940.jpg

Documentation, sometimes simple, sometimes complicated, (like provenance from auction), if the French Planchet was 2.8g and the Latvia was 2.5g and both Metallurgically the same...then certain aspects could be matched to which mint produced. I was adding to my U.S. struck Foreign coin collection and I enjoyed the comparisons in my mind of which mistakes have happened and which ones we know of etc,..pretty cool stuff...could also be the Boys and Girls doing direct submission then returning them to the U.S. market, which might account for a few more Obscure coins from obscure countries slabbed. More POPULATIONS of graded coins of 1 only and/or 2,3...5,6 certified now/soon/then...etc..

On 7/15/2021 at 6:26 AM, medved said:

And the final question.

5 eurocent.jpg

2 euro.jpg

IMG_20210715_123932.jpg

IMG_20210715_123940.jpg

Sorry, your last question I think that I was submitting Canadian coins recently and was selecting which ones for the Canada special holder red images I think..they have a list of countries that they can do that, as of a couple weeks ago..

It's likely that NGC had some sort of documentation that pointed to this being Estonia. Perhaps the coin came from a mint roll of Estonian coins or even sealed in a mint set of Estonian coins. Or it is possible that the submitter wrote down Estonia and when entered into the NGC system, the person confirmed it met Estonian secs and didn't look any further.

Given the fact that there is really $0 value difference between this being from Estonia and Austria or France or any other country, and the coin isn't exactly valuable as is, they probably aren't going to be super strict on documentation. 

On 2/9/2022 at 6:26 PM, tj96 said:

Unless I'm missing it (and I'm sure I am), why would any blank planchet be considered an error?

Indeed. Why? I know several mints hand them out like scrap. 

On 2/9/2022 at 9:22 PM, VKurtB said:

Indeed. Why? I know several mints hand them out like scrap. 

It probably has something to do with the weight.  A wrong weight planchet for a specified coin??  I'm just guessing.

Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 5.09.32 PM.png

On 2/9/2022 at 8:51 PM, tj96 said:

It probably has something to do with the weight.  A wrong weight planchet for a specified coin??  I'm just guessing.

Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 5.09.32 PM.png

I know the U.S. Mint hands out two piece sets of a recent BU cent and matching plain planchet at virtually all coin shows where they exhibit. I have many of them. I picked up a couple of U.K. ones at Llantrisant, Wales in 2019. There was one euro nation who handed out plain euro cent planchets. They really aren’t THAT tough to acquire, unless you sit in your butt at home in front of a screen. I just got my annual mileage report from App in the Air. My flying mileage is down ONLY because so many coin shows have not happened, NOT because I wasn’t going to go. I’m all ready to wing to ANA Colorado Springs next month. Maybe I can get a picture with Dan Carr just to “urine off” RWB and the other haters. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/9/2022 at 10:26 PM, VKurtB said:

I know the U.S. Mint hands out two piece sets of a recent BU cent and matching plain planchet at virtually all coin shows where they exhibit. I have many of them. I picked up a couple of U.K. ones at Llansitrant, Wales in 2019. There was one euro nation who handed out plain euro cent planchets. They really aren’t THAT tough to acquire, unless you sit in your butt at home in front of a screen. I just got my annual mileage report from App in the Air. My flying mileage is down ONLY because so many coin shows have not happened, NOT because I wasn’t going to go. I’m all ready to wing to ANA Colorado Springs next month. Maybe I can get a picture with Dan Carr just to “urine off” RWB and the other haters. 

Ask him if there will be any more Broken Sword Peace dollars will you ?

On 2/12/2022 at 1:53 PM, numisport said:

Ask him if there will be any more Broken Sword Peace dollars will you ?

I expect he’ll be there; it’s tantalizingly close to his home base, and he had a booth at the 2017 World’s Fair of Money in Denver (and oddly enough, Boston 2010). I could bring the Denver U.S Attorney to meet him at Colorado Springs, and Dan would be completely safe. They might even have a drink together at the bar. I’ll pay. My point? Dan Carr is NOT a counterfeiter. Not under the facts, not under the law. Only under a tortured intentional misreading of statute by amateurs in the art of statutory construction, something I did professionally for over 13 years. 

What did I accomplish? I warned my bosses that over 10 bills they passed would be struck down by our Courts as unconstitutional, and I was proven correct EVERY time, without exception. But the process took years each time. Meanwhile, people were harmed by unconstitutional law for years each time. 

Edited by VKurtB

Incidentally, the procedures used in Pennsylvania during the 2020 election have now been declared unconstitutional by Commonwealth Court. They are unconstitutional now, and were unconstitutional in 2020. Alas, the decision is likely to be overturned by the most unashamedly partisan state Supreme Court in the history of the Republic. All of the justices’ election campaigns are funded by the state political parties. Both sides. “What could possibly go wrong?”