• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I’m a vivid coin collector from inheritance! I love the hobby and never intended on selling any of my possessions. Help please

18 posts in this topic

99FE165E-5FFB-4194-866F-8130BC3420D2.thumb.jpeg.c25bff9158a6ee613b931a1cbdcff9b3.jpegE2A99606-6464-4C4A-93EB-A38FBEF610A6.thumb.jpeg.e381fed1276ce2a8d726dee30c5ac2f4.jpegThis is the first time these frames have ever been open on July 14th 2021. I know how important it is for the pics  to be clear I’m doing my best but it is just to see if I should continue to take these out the frame or should I put back in and sale as a whole. These coins or Maine State 67+ deep camo from my opinion but that’s based off my knowledge and research of coins.thanks and hope someone can help 1964 Washington quarter deep camo with dye breaks,1943 dime deep camo,1955 red camo,1943  Lincoln steel cent and so much more.

3C721B00-8615-4FC9-A757-E945B1875E82.jpeg

D4769748-142E-45C4-B805-451A860804B7.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by coinjunky
Wrong title

On 7/15/2021 at 3:38 AM, l.cutler said:

The coins themselves don't have much value.  All appear to be common dates and some have been polished.  I would just leave it as is, it makes an attractive display with the postage stamps.

None have been polished! I must have to much light on them..I’m thirty five and these frames have never been touch until yesterday I opened three of the frames to take pictures because the front covers were cloudy..

On 7/15/2021 at 3:51 AM, coinjunky said:

None have been polished! I must have to much light on them..I’m thirty five and these frames have never been touch until yesterday I opened three of the frames to take pictures because the front covers were cloudy..

I was thinking maybe because they were not circulated and also the color that it would make them worth opening to send off to b graded! Thanks again

Producers of novelty items, like the one shown, routinely clean and polish coins to "make them look nice" for potential buyers. Newer coins, including the quarter and half which were probably current when the set was assembled, might not be tampered with.

None of the coins pictured have much collector value other than silver bullion, and none are worth the cost of authentication and grading. The stamps are also common of little value.

Members here understand your disappointment - most have been through similar experiences. Keep asking questions and learn the terminology and characteristics of US coins.

Edited by RWB

On 7/15/2021 at 4:51 AM, coinjunky said:

None have been polished! I must have to much light on them..

First thing you'll need to learn is how to recognize polished coins.  The Mercury dime in the first picture has been lightly polished, The V nickels have been polished, the 1903 indian head cent has been polished as has the buffalo nickel and the 1955 D cent, and probably others not shown.  No one is saying that YOU polished those coins, but coins found in holders like the ones you show were intended for sale to  people who were NOT coin collectors and non-collectors tend to think "shiny is better".

If you are really interested in the hobby I would recommend getting a copy of A Guidebook of US Coins by R.S. Yoeman,  commonly known as the "Redbook".  If your local library is open check there, almost every library has a copy or two.  If you want your own copy, there is no need to have the latest edition and older editions are often available on abebooks.com for around $4 including shipping.  Once you get your Redbook, READ IT!.  You should pretty much ignore the prices of coins listed in it because those are typically off, but there is a wealth of background and historical information in the book, a brief history of each series, specifications, mintages, some grading tips for each series.  Frankly it is a great book except for the prices.  The best thing the prices will tell you is which coins are more valuable in each series, but like I said ignore the actual prices.

Edited by Conder101

Trust me. Several have been polished. We’re experts, we can tell. Oddly enough, the 1943 cent does NOT have a polished or replated look to it.

Edited by VKurtB

I agree with everyone else is saying they are harshly polished up if you see highly shiny spots all over the coin it looks shiny front to back chances are it was polished up old circulated coins even UNC. Coins don’t look like that with or without light .

There’s a difference between cleaning (polishing or rubbing friction on the coin to make it shiny)

dipping a coin which in opinion is not cleaning (which should only be done an a rare occasion for a coin that may benefit from a proper dipping) 

On 7/15/2021 at 4:47 AM, Morpheus1967 said:

They could have easily been polished before they were put in the displays.  

On 7/15/2021 at 4:47 AM, Morpheus1967 said:

They could have easily been polished before they were put in the displays.  

On 7/15/2021 at 9:27 AM, Jason Abshier said:

I agree with everyone else is saying they are harshly polished up if you see highly shiny spots all over the coin it looks shiny front to back chances are it was polished up old circulated coins even UNC. Coins don’t look like that with or without light .

There’s a difference between cleaning (polishing or rubbing friction on the coin to make it shiny)

dipping a coin which in opinion is not cleaning (which should only be done an a rare occasion for a coin that may benefit from a proper dipping) 

Okay thanks so much!

Okay thank you

Ok thanks for the info

Thank you

On 7/15/2021 at 9:04 AM, VKurtB said:

Trust me. Several have been polished. We’re experts, we can tell. Oddly enough, the 1943 cent does NOT have a polished or replated look to it.

Thanks so much

The 64 quarter and half appear untouched and nicely toned. They aren’t all damaged. But I agree let them be in the frames. They are probably worth more as art than numismatics. 

On 7/15/2021 at 8:58 AM, Conder101 said:

First thing you'll need to learn is how to recognize polished coins.  The Mercury dime in the first picture has been lightly polished, The V nickels have been polished, the 1903 indian head cent has been polished as has the buffalo nickel and the 1955 D cent, and probably others not shown.  No one is saying that YOU polished those coins, but coins found in holders like the ones you show were intended for sale to  people who were NOT coin collectors and non-collectors tend to think "shiny is better".

If you are really interested in the hobby I would recommend getting a copy of A Guidebook of US Coins by R.S. Yoeman,  commonly known as the "Redbook".  If your local library is open check there, almost every library has a copy or two.  If you want your own copy, there is no need to have the latest edition and older editions are often available on abebooks.com for around $4 including shipping.  Once you get your Redbook, READ IT!.  You should pretty much ignore the prices of coins listed in it because those are typically off, but there is a wealth of background and historical information in the book, a brief history of each series, specifications, mintages, some grading tips for each series.  Frankly it is a great book except for the prices.  The best thing the prices will tell you is which coins are more valuable in each series, but like I said ignore the actual prices.

Thanks for your time 

On 7/15/2021 at 10:04 AM, VKurtB said:

We’re experts

I been collecting for over 30 years I’ve never considered myself an expert or the other collectors/dealers around me not even the TPG are experts. 

but I gotten a wealth of good information on here from knowledgeable collectors like you and few others . good Ol’ information we just can’t find in book all time simply come here to gain knowledgeable information from members who study a specific field of numismatics 

Edited by Jason Abshier
I’m no expert at spelling either forgive me