• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Came across this coin while searching my great nephews world coins last weekend. 1930 Panama Balboa .900 Silver
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I spent six hours on Saturday going through my great nephews loose coin collection. About 15 pounds tossed into a box. Everything imaginable, Germany, Britain, France, Italy, Chile, Panama, Caribbean, Mexico, Switzerland, Austria, China, Singapore, Hong Kong. I just don't know enough about world coins and I didn't even get to half of them. I considered making him an offer of $250 for the whole box, But knowing just how long it would take to sort, categorize and value the collection was what I deemed to much for me. I think there may be a time in the future where I can complete the transaction. One of the most interesting coins that I came across was this 1930 Panama Balboa .900 silver coin.

56F4BA22-3DB4-4887-A2C6-0D9AB526931D.jpeg

DFA50394-1C45-43ED-9B9F-D4E46CF81E02.jpeg

Edited by Mr.Bill347
Missing photos

Well...the lettering on the coin says VN CVARTO DE BALBOA.....that would be 1/4 or Quarter Balboa. It seems to me to be on the lower end of MS.

What other coins are there in the collection ? Any large crown sized ones ?

No crowns, just shillings, shequels, pences, Deutschmarks, francs, rubles, lira, euros and yuans.. Lots of small coins which I did not have time for.

Edited by Mr.Bill347
Typo

World coins can be fun for investigation if they're older.  For me at least, as there are obscure but noticeable die varieties to be found amongst the shrapnel.

Don't feel pressed to make an offer on your great nephews collection.  Personally, I created a rule for my son back when he was 8 or so that "you don't make money off family".  I.e. don't view family members as customers or clients.  You know how grandparents are, and he was delightfully "selling" grandma wheat cents which she probably turned around and gave back to him a week later.  It works for me since I want him to understand the value of doing fair business.  He gets it and he understands fair market value.  And I certainly don't mind passing along an item I get a great deal on at cost to him if it helps his collection grow.

There's a few ways you can approach the great nephew collection that'll satisfy the desire to investigate coins.  Help identify and facilitate a sale in exchange for choice of certain coins.  Allow him to set the asking price if he wants to sell them (to you or otherwise).  Or just help identify and help him collate the collection into something easily sortable if he agrees to pay for the supplies.  

Edited by Crawtomatic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Panama did not have its own mint, so that coin was struck at the Philadelphia Mint. From 1874 until the 1980s the U. S. Mint took on many such contracts.

@Mr.Bill347 you plan on selling any of the coins ? I might be interested in old German coins . I’m working on my German Baden 1 Kreuzer (KM# 242) and German Baden 1/2 Kreuzer (KM# 241) if got any in MS condition (chocolate brown or splash of red copper) I’ll buy them if you want to sell.

I been working on a set putting them together they are pretty hard to find in MS condition , but I may consider AU at the most if I see what they look like 

Sorry Jason, I decided not to jump on them for the moment, but I don't recall seeing any Baden just Phennig and deutschmarks. I may get into them later on but for now, I'm in the process of sorting and cataloging 8,000 mint baseball cards from 1987 to 2003. Worked for several months and up to the J's and over 4,500 already. They are my Sons collection and we are hoping to sell the entire collection once cataloged.

@Mr.Bill347look like nice raw collectible German coins . If you ever want to sell you know where put them on here if you do I’ll definitely buy some … The coin I was looking for the set I’m working on right now look like this , I can’t find them minty condition I just bought 2 more over in France that are in mint condition I’m waiting on them to ship to me but every once in awhile I see some minty Baden Kreuzers pop up from time to time ,definitely a tough coin to find in mint condition

E1FEB6FF-CBCE-4B30-A42D-B27ACAD42DEB.jpeg

06D9EAC5-24B8-46C2-B934-7701D119333B.jpeg

Edited by Jason Abshier