• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What can you all tell me about this 2 oz?
3 3

31 posts in this topic

It’s a beauty MrBill. As others have said it’s a generic silver round, but they chose one of the all time best and most iconic designs in my eyes. Standing Liberty Type 1. That lady has her top off. 

12 hours ago, James Zyskowski said:

I have this one and have seen other 2oz pieces. Yours is very cool and I would never sell it at spot. The folks here will know and you will learn. 

D8589A8A-FBFD-48B6-9E42-26C4599EEFD5.jpeg

8FA5FB99-25C1-4756-BDCE-FFEDB6C9AAEC.jpeg

When I first saw the gold originally, I fell completely in love with it. One day on eBay I saw this one and $38 later tax, title and license I was an owner.  This was couple years back silver was cheap. Latest check shows prices are double. I did some research on the mint of issue and they checked out fine. Many different kinds of collectors out there. Yours has a family story/connection so value right there. Anyway I hope you find out enough to help. If not rephrase with knew question. Thanks 

A dealer near me has lots of ASE's and Indian silver rounds and some 2 oz.  ASE's also, not sure why anyone would want a ASE without a date it is only bullion for sure? But with a date it can be considered collectable, gradable and go up in value.  

Agree JP, as Jim Z said it’s sort of a shame that these coins are not considered collectibles but they really are. Why can’t they put a date on them? Is there a rule preventing that.

my sis’s coin the Standing Liberty design was made by intaglio mint. I’ve see many with dates so wonder why this one dies not have one. They sell for about $100. She does have an ASE but it has some browning beginning to happen . 

68ACD4B0-3B90-486F-8566-C417C3AB0C95.jpeg

Intaglio mint. Thank you. Mine also is a Intaglio baby. When the chance of owning a gold original are zero this is a lovely issue and your estimate of $100 seems right.    There appears to be a dollar value on ase’s how does that effect the only bullion argument. Just asking cause I’m a newbie 

That is a high mark up $100 for undated silver round? Gonna be hard to recoup melt value if your sister wants sell it gonna have hold onto it pray silver reaches $60-$80 an ounce someday … 

3 hours ago, Jason Abshier said:

That is a high mark up $100 for undated silver round? Gonna be hard to recoup melt value if your sister wants sell it gonna have hold onto it pray silver reaches $60-$80 an ounce someday … 

2ozsilver round 

20 minutes ago, James Zyskowski said:

2ozsilver round 

That’s what I meant 2oz @ $100 is what she paid , hopefully silver climbs $60-$80 (an oz) she will recoup back $120-$160 on that 2oz round that’s if silver ever reaches those prices which I doubt in a long time from now 

1 hour ago, James Zyskowski said:

I’m sure it is a little high but knock off$20. $78. Not bad

484606D0-5BC8-4167-AD99-49E75C2F5E75.png

@James Zyskowski it’s a nice silver round , it really no different than someone paying a high price of MS64-MS65 common Morgan dollar but some collectors do because one it’s graded . 2 it has numismatic value simply because the collector world in US embraced it to say it’s numismatic piece so the collector feels Like he hit a Hail Mary for buying a $300 common Morgan dollar which there 1,300 of them on market right now and another 2,000 in a bunch of collectors collections .

Right now the problem is some collectors haven’t embraced the concept that Silver bullion rounds are collectible among collectors right now in the “modern market”  is trying to shift over into a whole new “era of numismatics” and silver rounds do fall in that category it’s the next generation of collecting so prices right now are what some collectors are saying some folks are paying too much for a “nice and unique” silver round even if it’s dated, but these collectors have no problem spending $300 or more on a MS “common graded” Morgan dollar with only 90% silver which probably has a higher mintage figure than your Panama pacific silver round like I said whether anyone likes it or not there’s going to be a market coming collectible “odd” silver rounds at prices little more than premiums that an ASE would sell for it is what it is I see it everywhere in market strange silver rounds popping up I myself have 2 dozens of silver rounds I bought alone this year from around the world some of them have very low mintages and really cool the prices is little more hefty comes with package and box and certificates I posted them in world coin section on here although I don’t plan on sending in for grading I have no plans to sell them so grading doesn’t matter to me  … 

but I do see a lot bullion being graded and it is selling on the market I won’t lie about that I personally know few newer collectors that’s all they do is collect silver rounds bullion and send them in for grading sometimes they sell them for a nice profit just like a person selling a graded Morgan dollar it’s not different. I notice some on here say “it’s bullion no big deal” maybe not to me or them . But to someone else it’s a big deal . 

also don’t confuse a “silver stacker” to someone who collect different silver rounds so they all look differently that’s called “collecting”… A silver stacker buys tubes and tubes of all same coins cheap because they want to dump them on market later on when prices go up to make a little profit 

Edited by Jason Abshier

1 hour ago, James Zyskowski said:

Are you referring to the US Mint:roflmao:

Any of the above. If one collects them for their appearance or date sequences, that's what regular collecting is about. But attempting to acquire any precious metal at inflated prices is ridiculous. Buy and hold is not the way to make money in precious metals, either use it or flip it....more + flips = better total return on investment.

13 minutes ago, James Zyskowski said:

Where did it say what she paid. If it’s a couple years old she paid about $35-$40.   I have inspected a few Intaglio products and the US Mint could take some lessons.  ;)

It didn’t mr bill mention they sell for $100 I assumed she just bought recently, @James Zyskowski I agree the US mint doesn’t even come close to some of the other mints from Around the world that are offering very very nice quality silver rounds . But yet Americans are patriotic they love their ASE coming out of the US mint ! year after year , it is what it is … I read an article of a European coin collector calling Coin world to talk about US minting and what they make why is market so hyped up in USA , there’s a big coin show in Europe all mints from Around world attend to show off some of the new stuff they are making for modern collectors … Guess who not there ? The US mint 

5 minutes ago, RWB said:

attempting to acquire any precious metal at inflated prices is ridiculous. Buy and hold is not the way to make money in precious metals, either use it or flip it....more + flips = better total return on investment.

@RWB I agree somewhat with this statement about making a profit on silver or any precious metal … 

but where I disagree , try buy any silver round at let’s say $32 an .oz sure you can find some at that price (plain Jane silver rounds) … But say now you want something a little nicer to show as a collection? Better silver rounds more fancier your not going to get them at $32 an oz. The prices for some silver rounds are all over the market way way off the chart. Maybe some folks rather collect a handful of silver rounds and pay a little more over spot price such as $45-$50 a round just to have for for their collection means they would have sit on it longer to recoup the cost the silver market could drop next year out of blue everyone wasted their money either way it goes 

3 minutes ago, RWB said:

Any of the above. If one collects them for their appearance or date sequences, that's what regular collecting is about. But attempting to acquire any precious metal at inflated prices is ridiculous. Buy and hold is not the way to make money in precious metals, either use it or flip it....more + flips = better total return on investment.

That certainly sounds correct if I was a dealer or flipper. I am a grandpa who is proudly building a family heirloom collection of coins, stamps,gems,antiques and even a 1969 VW camper van   Every thing cycles in its own time. Right now stamps are CHEAP   My salvation is that over 10 years ago I stopped cigarettes and booze. Remember in my little world every thing I buy is free because I use money that was never going to provide me a “profit “ just guaranteed health problems. Imagine how good it feels to know that after spending money there is now something. Maybe not the best or proper collecting maybe some dumb purchases but not up in smoke or burning a hole in my guts. This being the newbie section I don’t know how much business advice adds to things. Maybe some guilt for being new. Just saying that profit comes in all forms 

No she bought it cuz she liked it and doesn’t want to part with it anyway.

she would not have paid more than $50 for the coin. Oops maybe I should have said bullion! No I and many others collect the beauty of the objects and the fun of collecting. If I wanted to stack silver for profit, I would buy Silver bars. BTW I have two one oz silver bars I’ll sell you for $25 lol 😆 

@James Zyskowskiyou’re doing alright on here being new and all to the Hobby. That’s is true there is a “cycle time frame” maybe in your life time you don’t plan on flipping your silver for money or investment , maybe you want leave it for your kids and grandkids to decide what they want to do with it . Every day people inherit coin collection from a dead relative who spent their whole life paying out money to build their collection then one day died suddenly not see a single dime back for what they spent into the collection … Not everyone has their heart set on “investments” … to tell you truth I’ve lost more money when it came time to sell certain coins even in high grades I paid more than what I could sell them that dirty secret behind coin collecting you can buy say  peace dollars at $200 graded by NGC but prices never really change much over next 10 years it hoovers around $180-$220 comes time for you to sell it nobody wants to pay $200 (there alot low ballers out there) but you sell for $180 you took a loss take it to a dealer you’ll lose even more money!  … it’s the way it is . A lot collectors spend more money than they would make selling most of their coins are very common on market unless they are key date coins always pull a demand and premiums for key date coins all the others in a series are common coins take forever for some coins to gain more value and some fall a little behind on value market moves in waves you have catch it at right time to sell 

I know I will never get my money back on my coins in my lifetime and I think there is a market for dated ASE's or there would not be a price chart of different values for different dates. I could have bought my whole ASE collection in 68 and 69 graded slab for between $1800 and $2200  but I bought them raw from dealers peace by piece for around $1500 it was more of a collection doing it that way and a lot more fun. And all my Morgan's I have paid 60 to 70 % less than there asking price but they are still common so no big deal there I just like what I got. I guess that is what it is all about in this collecting game. 

15 minutes ago, James Zyskowski said:

One of the first things I heard was “buy what you like”. As I move down this road that statement has taken on a larger meaning. 

That's how I buy. I've over paid many times buy I got coins I like. I got them to collect. I will pass them on to my kids one day and they will not have a dime in them. They may make them a good profit off them sometime in the future or they may pass them down. 

If folks on here are complaining about spending too much on coins , you ain’t see anything yet especially on European market they pay way way more for an American coin over there than we do . I’ve seen them pay $2 for a common statehood quarter ! $3 for a sacagawea dollar , $60-$80 for AU peace dollars ! … I just got back in bidding on live auctions on European market been a long while since did any live auctions mostly for old silver/gold UK and Germany , French coins totally different market over there