• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 D small date bronze penny, small date verify

5 posts in this topic

Hey there, I'm new to coin collecting and I was hoping someone could tell me if the dates on my 1982 D's are the small date variety? I'm fairly positive a few are but i just wanted to get a second opinion before I send them off for grading. Thank y'all in advance, I appreciate your time. 

20210707_045204.jpg

20210707_044939.jpg

20210707_045002.jpg

20210707_045019.jpg

20210707_045104.jpg

Welcome to the forum. All are large date and none of them are worth submitting. Check your coins against these pics to help you determine the difference.

783015B3-10AC-4E61-9DDA-2880623DDF56.jpeg

Edited by Lem E
Add pic

Agree, all are large dates.

I like to use the 2 in the date as my reference point.  If you look at the pics in the previous post, you can easily see the difference in the shape.  I also check the 8.  The loops are the same size on the large date while the top loop is smaller on the small date and makes it look more like a snowman.

Just be aware, the Denver Mint made over 6 BILLION cents (Both the copper and copper plated zinc types) in 1982 and only 2 copper small dates have been verified in almost 40 years.  You'll have better odds of winning the Power Ball than finding one.  Many times, those "get rich from pocket change" YouTube videos leave out a lot of important details.