• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Walker Liberty Halves - Cleaned or Not? Gradable?

8 posts in this topic

Can anyone share their experiences with submitting Walker Halves for grading.  I have a few I would like to submit, but after careful exam under x20 magnifier I can detect some very fine lines that could suggest cleaning/whizzing.  How strict is NGC on the issue?  Will any indicator (i.e., possible whizzing in only 1 or 2 mms of the obverse surface) result in a "Cleaned Coin" verdict?  Pic's of three coins included. 1936.thumb.PNG.38f9f3613c5bd88365c0b0e85c1151b8.PNG Thank you for your responses.  Tom, Shillington PA.  

1942.jpg

1943.jpg

Generally speaking it is not possible to offer advice from photos of only one side of the coin, it is difficult enough to provide any help even seeing both sides.   However given your description and from the obverse photos you have provided I do not see the benefit to submitting any of these coins.   Each of these (assuming all are P mint) can be bought already in holders up to and including MS65 grades for the same or not much more that it will cost you to submit these.

the CoinBuf is correct... although a beautiful coin.  Most of the short set is readily availble in 6 5.  anything less would not be benifical to slabbiong unless that is what you want.

The 36’ and 43’ look sharply struck by looking at skirt lines possibly get 65+ or 66 grade is they are P mint mark not worth sending in 42’ or 43’ unless they are D or S mint . However the 36’ is nice worth sending in even if it gets 65 grade it still worthy grading holds some value again you buy them graded already like everyone else is saying … do you have pictures of the reverse of the coins? The eagle’s breast feather determines the grade on back of the coin 

Also the coins look very yellowish ? Is it toned that way ? Or just lighting and pictures . Yellow toned coins are not very desirable any whizzing on coin is not acceptable either I don’t think NGC will let that skirt by without putting it on the slab as a problem coin 

Edited by Jason Abshier

I was told graders use a 5x loupe when grading coins . A lot stuff sticks out on a coin when you move up to 20x - 30x power . You sure you see whizzing lines or mint polishing dies before striking can leave lines on coin that look like whizzing 

It's very difficult to tell from these pictures, but the 1936 looks low MS, the 1942 AU58, and the 1943 cleaned. 

20X magnification is perfect for looking for authentication markers. Not much need for magnification when grading Walkers.