• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PVC in NGC holder MS-64 1921 Morgan ?
1 1

69 posts in this topic

Hello

1539241-044

PVC green residue in NGC holder MS-64 1921 Morgan ?

Disappointed. Heart almost failing literally. I can't trust NGC anymore. Sad.

The holder looks like after 2004 holder it is not old.

Morgan 1.jpg

Morgan 2.jpg

Morgan 3.jpg

"Did you contact Customer Service?  NO!  Did you take it to an Authorized NGC Dealer?  NO!  Just another NGC Baad post. PS:  1921 Morgan Dollars in MS are a dime a dozen." Alex in PA.

- Nice for you. I myself love every morgan even if it is a common 1921. But this PVC " monday or friday piece " is not funny to receive.

Edited by Iku

17 minutes ago, Iku said:

No help for a whiner.  You did NOTHING to help yourself with this issue except to come on this forum with an NGC Baad comment.

The word of the day is "Goodbye"   :hi:

Edited by Alex in PA.

Should I break the holder and acetone rinse it ?

- Will PVC just get worse if left in the holder ?

It is a 50-70 usd coin or so. "MS-64 1921".

Edited by Iku

21 minutes ago, Iku said:

Should I break the holder and acetone rinse it ?

- Will PVC just get worse if left in the holder ?

It is a 50-70 usd coin or so. "MS-64 1921".

"PVC" is chemical contamination. It will get worse. NGC can do a thorough job of removing it, but the total cost might exceed the value of the coin. Others here have deeper practical experience with this situation, so get their advice before doing anything.

55 minutes ago, Iku said:

Hello

1539241-044

PVC green residue in NGC holder MS-64 1921 Morgan ?

The holder looks like after 2004 holder it is not old.

Morgan 1.jpg

Morgan 2.jpg

Morgan 3.jpg

If you can’t trust NGC because of PVC on a coin in one their holders, you can’t trust any grading company. That happens on occasion.

If it were my coin, I’d crack it out, remove the PVC and sell it.

The good news is that, in or out of the holder, the value of the coin s more than it was several months ago.

First it does you no good to come here and bash the host, coins have had PVC develop in the holders of just about every TPG known.   While we hope and expect the TPG's to detect problems like this the fact is that PVC can be almost invisible at the time of grading and develop/grow years later.  And graders are human and every now and then mistakes are made and issues do slip thru.  Second that looks to be an NGC gen17 holder which if I recall correctly was used between 2004 and 2008 so it is older than ten years.

It sounds as if you just bought/received this coin; if that is true I suggest that you contact the seller and return the coin for a refund.   If I have misread your comments and you have had this for awhile that would sort of prove my thought that it may have been present at the time it was graded but not visible to the graders or you at the time it was graded and bought.

If a return is not possible then I suggest that you contact NGC customer service and see if they can remedy the problem under any guarantees or not.  As a worst case scenario I would suggest that you crack the coin out and give it an acetone bath to remove the PVC, if left unattended it will get worse and eventually (if not already) eat into and harm the surface of the coin. 

I bought it just now and I live in Europe which is far from USA and NGC.

Here we have PCGS Paris France only.

- I probably crack it and rinse it with acetone to remove the green goo.

In Europe EU it is very hard to send coins for grading you see.

- Is there any rule how long: minutes or hours to twirl the coin in acetone ?

Then gently press areas with cotton or such material if residue is stuck.

Edited by Iku

6 minutes ago, Iku said:

In that case, if at all possible, return it for a refund. If not, I’d crack and rinse it.

2 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Did you contact Customer Service?  NO!  Did you take it to an Authorized NGC Dealer?  NO!  Just another NGC Baad post.   :blahblah:

Under the circumstances, what good do you think that would have done?

I'll try to rinse it with acetone. Reading good results from online.

And this was just a budget 1921 Morgan so not 1895 Morgan. But I like every coin not just some limited edition coins forced to be rare and printed like under 100pcs.

So I did not lose so much though USA coins are more expensive here in Europe EU. (Distance, customs and such.)

1 hour ago, Iku said:

- Is there any rule how long: minutes or hours to twirl the coin in acetone ?

Then gently press areas with cotton or such material if residue is stuck.

Well as I said I would attempt to contact the seller and arrange a return.  If you do decide to crack and rinse in acetone this is a good process.  Have two containers of pure acetone, place the coin in the first container and let soak for 30 minuets, gently agitate the coin in the acetone to dislodge the PVC.  Once the PVC is loose and removed place the coin in the second acetone bath container and again agitate, this is to ensure that none of the PVC from the now contaminated first container has found a new home on the coin.  Remove from the second bath and place on a soft towel and gently pat both sides, do not rub.  Any small amount of acetone will evaporate very rapidly.  Be sure to do this in a well ventilated area.

2 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

Under the circumstances, what good do you think that would have done?

Are you now saying NGC Customer Service could would have been no help to this person?  Maybe if he/she would have contacted Customer Service or the dealer the situation would have been resolved.  Instead we get a Member since 2007 come on this forum and the first words out of his/her mouth were:  "Disappointed. Heart almost failing literally. I can't trust NGC anymore. Sad".  Perhaps the OP should stick to collecting European coins..

PS  ngccoin.uk

Edited by Alex in PA.

12 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Are you now saying NGC Customer Service could would have been no help to this person?  Maybe if he/she would have contacted Customer Service or the dealer the situation would have been resolved.  Instead we get a Member since 2007 come on this forum and the first words out of his/her mouth were:  "Disappointed. Heart almost failing literally. I can't trust NGC anymore. Sad".  Perhaps the OP should stick to collecting European coins..

PS  ngccoin.uk

Your original post, to which I replied and have copied below, didn’t mention “the dealer”. I would have taken that to mean the seller and would have agreed with you. But instead, you wrote “an authorized NGC dealer” and I don’t known how an authorized NGC dealer would have helped. Likewise, I don’t think the PVC problem is covered by NGC’s guarantee, so doubt that their customer service could help.

So I’ll repeat the question I asked you previously - under the circumstances, what good do you think that would have done?

“Did you contact Customer Service?  NO!  Did you take it to an Authorized NGC Dealer?  NO!  Just another NGC Baad post.   :blahblah:

2 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

So I’ll repeat the question I asked you previously -

And I stand by my reply.  This conversation is ended.  Thank you.

16 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

Your original post, to which I replied and have copied below, didn’t mention “the dealer”. I would have taken that to mean the seller and would have agreed with you. But instead, you wrote “an authorized NGC dealer” and I don’t known how an authorized NGC dealer would have helped. Likewise, I don’t think the PVC problem is covered by NGC’s guarantee, so doubt that their customer service could help.

So I’ll repeat the question I asked you previously - under the circumstances, what good do you think that would have done?

“Did you contact Customer Service?  NO!  Did you take it to an Authorized NGC Dealer?  NO!  Just another NGC Baad post.   :blahblah:

I rectum that them ngc boys and girls woulda at least given some kinda guidance or are you implying or even making a statement to the effect that ngc don't give a flip?

How would Heritage have handled it?

Considering it's CRAZY rarity ,being a 1921 ms64 Morgan and all that.. Would heritage just wrote that $50.00 check and said send it back.... SNAIL MAIL...

I just thank god that Laura Sperber and legend hadn't heard about this.. We might have another CAS Bean company coming out.. CAS ll  lol 

21 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

And I stand by my reply.  This conversation is ended.  Thank you.

A most apropos post it was and is :golfclap: 

Edited by MAULEMALL