• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's A More Valuable Proof Error Coin?
2 2

38 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Errorists said:

A error proof coin still in its proof set or one that has been taken out of the set and certified??? 

Respectfully, I cannot imagine anything being worth more out of the packaging it originally came in.

2 hours ago, Errorists said:

A error proof coin still in its proof set or one that has been taken out of the set and certified??? 

It is highly unlikely you have a proof coin error. It is far more likely damage, or less likely but possible, a variety.

17 hours ago, VKurtB said:

It is highly unlikely you have a proof coin error. It is far more likely damage, or less likely but possible, a variety.

Didn't ask if it were likely or not..

14 minutes ago, Errorists said:

Didn't ask if it were likely or not..

But you should have. I don’t believe I have ever seen a proof error, and I’ve been doing this for 58 years.

I understand the point you are making but any card-carrying, dyed-in-the-wool experienced nuismatist with a practiced eye 👁 whose seen it all would know what mint error or variety is, whether still encased or in the raw.

20 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

But you should have. I don’t believe I have ever seen a proof error, and I’ve been doing this for 58 years.

And yet, they exist, so others have seen them, both in and out of their original packaging.

20 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Respectfully, I cannot imagine anything being worth more out of the packaging it originally came in.

I disagree. In a great many cases, attribution of the the error (and grading by a major grading company) will add value and make such a coin far more liquid.

15 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

And yet, they exist, so others have seen them, both in and out of their original packaging.

What sorts of errors? Why would they not be found during QC? Lots and lots of varieties, sure. But errors?

Edited by VKurtB

10 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

What sorts of errors? Why would they not be found during QC? Lots and lots of varieties, sure. But errors?

Certainly, not nearly all of the below linked coins would have been in sets, but some of them would have.

https://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=51+330+790+231&Ntk=SI_Titles&Nty=1&Ntt=proof&limitTo=all

52 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

Certainly, not nearly all of the below linked coins would have been in sets, but some of them would have.

https://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=51+330+790+231&Ntk=SI_Titles&Nty=1&Ntt=proof&limitTo=all

Yeah…. the vast majority of those would be surreptitiously removed from the mint, and likely created on purpose, not found in a set.

8 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Yeah…. the vast majority of those would be surreptitiously removed from the mint, and likely created on purpose, not found in a set.

Agreed, but there are still a surprising number of legitimate/unintentional Proof coin errors. 

2 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

Agreed, but there are still a surprising number of legitimate/unintentional Proof coin errors. 

And in 58 years My Cousin Vinny hasn't come across any?  Not even one? After hundreds of thousands of road- and frequent-flyer miles?

35 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

And in 58 years My Cousin Vinny hasn't come across any?  Not even one? After hundreds of thousands of road- and frequent-flyer miles?

Only at Fred Weinberg’s tables at shows. Never “in the wild”. To repeat, though, lots of varieties. Ex. 1960 sd, 1979 & 81 Type 2’s, various doubled dies (NOT errors).

Edited by VKurtB

13 hours ago, VKurtB said:

How about this one.

1166503300_DiecrackedJeffersonNickelProof.thumb.jpg.971c0f3f2fdedef536ae3d3b4accda1b.jpgimg126.thumb.jpg.6630f3e5ae93865f8e3222f750b87dc3.jpg

14 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

How can these coins be classified as errors if they were obviously struck on purpose in a clandestine fashion.

10 minutes ago, Callinectes said:

I randomly came across this is a proof set, would this be an error? There is something on the coin causing the radiating toning? Thanks in advance

IMG_20210705_113822.jpg

IMG_20210705_113828.jpg

That looks like an environmental issue, not an error.

27 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

That looks like an environmental issue, not an error.

Thanks, The dark spot on the center is three dimensional like a piece of slag on the coin, could that be from the mint?

1 minute ago, Callinectes said:

Thanks, The dark spot on the center is three dimensional like a piece of slag on the coin, could that be from the mint?

It could.

1 minute ago, MarkFeld said:

It could.

I guess I will send it in for grading, Should I leave it in the case set or take it out for submission. I have never sent a set to NGC before. Thanks

10 minutes ago, Callinectes said:

I guess I will send it in for grading, Should I leave it in the case set or take it out for submission. I have never sent a set to NGC before. Thanks

See? This is precisely the kind of thing that is NOT an error. It’s damage.

4 hours ago, 1946Hamm said:

How about this one.

1166503300_DiecrackedJeffersonNickelProof.thumb.jpg.971c0f3f2fdedef536ae3d3b4accda1b.jpgimg126.thumb.jpg.6630f3e5ae93865f8e3222f750b87dc3.jpg

Cracked dies are NOT errors! This was the point of my challenge to the OP’s post. Everybody thinks everything’s an error, and they simply are NOT!

Edited by VKurtB

I strongly advise against having it slabbed, you will be disappointed. Millions of these can be found with no problems or you could even buy one already slabbed in Pf 69 Ultra Cameo on the cheap. For a little more money look for a piece graded Pf 69 Star Ultra Cameo with optimum eye appeal as an early strike.

13 minutes ago, Callinectes said:

I think it would be a waste of money to have it graded.

I am referring to the types of errors defined as such in Appendix A of the Red Book, not some definition made up by an Internet surfer.