• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“TOP POP”

14 posts in this topic

I am new to collecting and see items on eBay that sometimes say “Top Pop”.

What determines if a coin is Top Pop or not and is there a way to verify in advance?

Any other info on Top Pop will be appreciated as well.

Thanks everyone!

2 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

Welcome Glen. Top Pop simply means it’s the top of the graded population at that grading company. Nothing is graded finer numerically. This can be checked by verifying the Cert number on the slab and looking at the population of others graded similarly. Once you pull up the Cert it should be easy to see. 

Welcome I’m kinda new here. What I do is ask specific questions about any process or procedures I see especially in a post like Woods020   Lots of good advice and direction if I ask 🤓

In Idaho "Top Pop" means the most popular soft drink ("soda") in the town. It's what you drink while tubing on the Boise River (pronounced "Boy-see")

For a coin it refers only to those that have been graded by NGC, PCGS or ANACS - but naturally excludes all other coins of the same date and mint. Therefore, it's meaning is of limited practical use. Paying a big premium for a "top pop" coin, whose ranking can change tomorrow, is foolhardy.

49 minutes ago, RWB said:

the Boise River (pronounced "Boy-see")

When I was going to school in Oregon they said Boy zee.  :ohnoez:

32 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

When I was going to school in Oregon they said Boy zee.  :ohnoez:

Folks in Boise will quickly correct a visitor.  Kind of like "Will-a-met River" and "Will-am-ette River." But both are wet.

Edited by RWB

Don't try to pronounce DuBois in central Pennsylvania. You'll be wrong. They insist on "do boys". Nunna that there French talk. By the way, the French lady was the last place finisher for ANA Board of Governors. And Ross beat Kagin by a whopping 17 votes for Prez. 

Edited by VKurtB

Kurt makes a great point. Top pop may be very significant or may not mean much. Take for example a recent state quarter proof. A PF 70 DCAM /UCAM will be a top pop simply because there is no higher grade, but they aren’t hard to find either. It may be one of thousands in the same grade. 

Also in some coins you will notice one grading company or their other skews higher on a coin grade. You may see a top pop at NGC and look at PCGS and there are several graded higher and vice versa. I’ve seen a few Kennedy half years that come to mind where there won’t be a 70 at NGC but several in PCGS slabs. They each have their own grading standards. While they are all similar you will notice some differences over time. 

Edited by Woods020

A majority of high end world coins are “top pop” cause not many of them were sent in for grading you often see the Top pop in graded NGC/PCGS world coin and medals category that can change in next several years from now when more and more world coins or medals are being sent in for grading it’s a slow growing market in the US here and small crowd of collectors with a heart and passion for true numismatic beyond US coinage

6 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Don't try to pronounce DuBois in central Pennsylvania. You'll be wrong. They insist on "do boys"

Altoona is another one that sounds like “Al tuna”