• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021offset Lincoln
1 1

38 posts in this topic

On 7/1/2021 at 2:01 PM, Kevin Simpson said:

Found this one in a new roll and was wondering if it was offset enough to have interest and or value. I didn't think that the newer coins could no longer be offset like this. seeing this I guess I must be wrong. any thoughts on it?

Thanks in advance

20210701_134120.jpg

20210701_134017.jpg

That is a very cool find. 

11 hours ago, GBrad said:

Very cool find and definitely an off center strike.  Just wanted to add to this post regarding safe keeping of coins.  I was guided by a long time coin collector awhile back about the proper type of coin flips to use which won't cause any damage to your coins.  Being that Shield Cents are as fragile as any Cent in the Lincoln series (meaning the very thin copper coating on them just waiting to be "Zinc Rot'd"), you definitely need to be careful handling and storing them.  Whatever you do don't use any type of vinyl or PVC holder or else your coin will suffer some major consequences, use only Mylar flips. Here's a link to a good supplier of coin accessories, supplies and holders, IMO.  I have been very happy with this company, their customer service and shipping time.  You may be able to get coin flips elsewhere for cheaper but in my experience I have been very happy with this company and their products and will continue to buy from them.  Hope this helps. (Just FYI.... I am not affiliated whatsoever with this company :bigsmile:)

https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/saflips-2x2.html

Here's pics of the 2x2 "soft" flips I use for my coins and I couldn't be happier with them.

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

These, if used carefully, are THE GOLD STANDARD for flips. Everything else is a compromise.

3 hours ago, Kevin Simpson said:

Thank you GBrad for that info I have Guardhouse UPVC would they be the same as the SAFLIP ? I also have the do it yourself slabs, just as good also? I don't want to ruin the coin by doing something that cause a problem with it. Thanks again.

By no means am I an expert on coin storage and I don't want to tell you something I am not 100% sure of.  All I have been told is that MYLAR type coin flips are what need to be used because they don't contain any PVC or VINYL.  I did a quick internet search of Guardhouse UPVC and all it said was that they are "Unplasticized".  I'm not a chemist so I couldn't tell you exactly what they do or do not contain.  

2 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

These, if used carefully, are THE GOLD STANDARD for flips. Everything else is a compromise.

Well there you go...... VKurt and I posted at the exact same time.  This sums it up I believe.  

Edited by GBrad

6 minutes ago, GBrad said:

Well there you go...... VKurt and I posted at the exact same time.  This sums it up I believe.  

If used carelessly, and not kept scrupulously clean, they CAN scratch. That’s the only caveat. I just placed a Wizard order a few days ago and had two packs of these in it. The other items were MegaRed Volume 7 and some coin capsules. I have a few series for which I only use capsules and a Lighthouse capsule tray.

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/3/2021 at 11:53 AM, GBrad said:

I did a quick internet search of Guardhouse UPVC and all it said was that they are "Unplasticized".

My guess would be that UPVC means either UnPlasticized Vinyl Chloride or Unplasticized Poly Vinyl Chloride.  They are still Poly Vinyl Chloride, they just don't have the plasticizer.  They should be safe, but personally I would prefer Mylar (Biaxially-oriented polyethylene terephthalate).

Too lazy to go back thru this thread, but am I correct in assuming the flips dispensed by the various TPGS are safe, or being somewhat flimsy, IMHO, are intended for short-term use only, i.e., for submissions?