• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1886-0 Morgan silver dollar inquiry

9 posts in this topic

I recently picked this coin up from  A flea market down the road and it seems to be an absolutely superb condition and when I looked up the value it seems to be one of the most valuable. Can anyone give me any insight to this and what this coin could possibly have it have a grade of?? Any help would be appreciated!!Screenshot_20210701-052742_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c09f95d9dd179d8dcc05a86d6e8dd655.jpg

Screenshot_20210701-052748_Chrome.jpg

The photo makes it problematic to evaluate the surface, and whether it is cleaned or original. From a wear standpoint I'm thinking EF to AU, except that I think the edge dings keep it out of EF, so if authentic (can't evaluate; odds in favor) and if uncleaned (also can't evaluate; odds against), it'd be a rather nice VF. Big props for the photos' size and cropping; the issue seems to be the lighting.

4 minutes ago, Atlskrilla said:

What number grade would you give?? Based on photos??

The photos don't show the surface well enough for me to give it a number. I know what it shouldn't get, which is EF-40, unless the rules have changed on edge dings.

Extremely fine, dull (likely cleaned), a couple of reverse rim bumps. Not worth authentication and grading. Fees and postage would consume whatever value it might have. Here's a photo of a "MS-64" from a recent Heritage auction - it is not a "superb" coin.

1886-O.jpg

Edited by RWB

Welcome. These folks are pretty good at this. Hopefully you got a good deal on it anyway it’s a nice coin and would find a home at our house.  We have bought some very funky things along the way and only wish they had been half as nice. Plus it’s silver. We love our silver!