"Indra Seno Collection" Pedigree
4 4

54 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, MapmanSRQ said:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cause a controversy. I am not an expert on grading, and had never seen it before. I purchased a modern Canadian PF70 coin with that label and just wanted to know what it meant. You all answered my question right off, and I am good. I appreciate the comments and perspectives.

Thanks!

 

Don't scare the Mapman guys... Welcome to the forum.....They actually like each other Mapman this is how they do it. Enjoy the show:popcorn:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2021 at 12:16 AM, Woods020 said:

It means it was part of a private collection, and the owner of the private collection named it the Indra Seno Collection. I am unfamiliar with this collection or the owner. 

Me neither.  If I manage to assemble a collection of pure perfection, the finest of the finest 1/0, improbable but attainable where fanaticism knows no bounds, I know precisely what I will call it:

"The Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Collection."

Owner:  Anonymous

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem is:  He left Pennsylvania and lost all command and use of the American language.  In order to be cleansed the One must return immediately to Pennsylvania where we speak American in it's truest form.

Pedigree - Provenance = One and the same.  Only newbies to coin collecting use Provenance.  :preach:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

The problem is:  He left Pennsylvania and lost all command and use of the American language.  In order to be cleansed the One must return immediately to Pennsylvania where we speak American in it's truest form.

Pedigree - Provenance = One and the same.  Only newbies to coin collecting use Provenance.  :preach:

Outside of the Philly local accent and the “Dutchie” accent areas, which also strangely affects some areas around Pittsburgh, most of the populated areas of Pennsylvania are absent a discernible accent. Penn State, the Capitol region, the Allentown to Easton I-78 corridor, pretty close to a neutral accentless American English.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Outside of the Philly local accent and the “Dutchie” accent areas, which also strangely affects some areas around Pittsburgh, most of the populated areas of Pennsylvania are absent a discernible accent. Penn State, the Capitol region, the Allentown to Easton I-78 corridor, pretty close to a neutral accentless American English.  

 

Other than the pronunciation of water I agree with you it was surprisingly neutral to me when I lived there recently.

And if you go any further up the coast the accents start pretty quickly. Cross the deleware and the Jersey accent is quickly upon you. Keep going and it grows. Before you know it you are trying to pahk the cah in Boston. 
 

Funny story I used to work with a lady that grew up until she was 8 or 10 in Augusta Georgia. Her family relocated to Boston and she was made fun of in school for her southern twang. Her family put her in speech therapy to neutralize it and now she has one of the thickest Boston accents I have ever heard. From one extreme to the other. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

 

Other than the pronunciation of water I agree with you it was surprisingly neutral to me when I lived there recently.

And if you go any further up the coast the accents start pretty quickly. Cross the deleware and the Jersey accent is quickly upon you. Keep going and it grows. Before you know it you are trying to pahk the cah in Boston. 
 

Funny story I used to work with a lady that grew up until she was 8 or 10 in Augusta Georgia. Her family relocated to Boston and she was made fun of in school for her southern twang. Her family put her in speech therapy to neutralize it and now she has one of the thickest Boston accents I have ever heard. From one extreme to the other. 
 

 

I ran into a waitress down here who had a different accent working. She said she was originally from Minnesota. I was imagining her saying, “Y’all jes set down over there, dontcha know”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Outside of the Philly local accent and the “Dutchie” accent areas, which also strangely affects some areas around Pittsburgh, most of the populated areas of Pennsylvania are absent a discernible accent. Penn State, the Capitol region, the Allentown to Easton I-78 corridor, pretty close to a neutral accentless American English.  

[Is it not true that Pennsylvania Deutsch (German) is the original form which today is commonly mispronounced Dutch?]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Outside of the Philly local accent and the “Dutchie” accent areas, which also strangely affects some areas around Pittsburgh, most of the populated areas of Pennsylvania are absent a discernible accent. Penn State, the Capitol region, the Allentown to Easton I-78 corridor, pretty close to a neutral accentless American English.  

Us Pittsburgh natives have odd accent like we say “crick” instead of Creek ! Or yinzers… few other odd words we say that puzzles people 

2 years ago I went down Camp Lejeune to see my oldest son he was station at Marine Corp base . The wife and I went down rented a beach house near the beach and to see him for few days for his re-enlistment sworn oath ceremony. I asked him what cooked meal he misses the most back home ? He said “Islay’s BBQ chipped ham sandwiches” I told him I’ll make it now back at the beach house, went to store deli section asked guy for chipped ham . He was confused I told him Pittsburgh style ham he had no clue ! Funny I told him set slicer up cut ham paper thin and chop it against the blade into crumbled pieces … All it is chipped ham , ketchup , little brown sugar or molasses, dill relish and little corn starch thicken up sauce and burger buns … And there ya go got yourself a islay’s BBQ chipped ham sandwich   

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jason Abshier said:

s Pittsburgh natives have odd accent like we say “crick” instead of Creek

The proper pronunciation for that small, flowing ripple of water is 'Crick'.  Creek is a Native American nation.   :nyah:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

Bostonians and most of us local folk have no time to add E's and R's to the busy day .A's work good enough to shorten up the sentence that way we can be home by 5 aclock

Sorry, but this has absolutely no basis in fact. Yours is a mere regional dialects no different from Brooklyn's "toity toid n toid" (Thirty-Third Street and Third Avenue). The NY Times long ago dispensed with periods in acronyms citing printing costs. In Washington, D.C., where acronyms abound, you've got POTUS, or simply 46. But I believe rappers, prisoners and drug addicts all share the distinction of reducing people, places and things to their own distinctive shorthand. Every profession has their slang, if you will, including numismatics -- and chatboard participants who have developed their own lingo to avoid the censors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[Is it not true that Pennsylvania Deutsch (German) is the original form which today is commonly mispronounced Dutch?]

Correct, sir. Incidentally, just ONE of the reasons that so many Hessians captured in the Battle of Trenton after the crossing of the Delaware (numismatic connection) by Washington’s troops, remained and settled in eastern Pennsylvania, was the HUGE existing population of German speakers in the region. The prison camp in which they were held is now within the City of Reading, at its far eastern limits, in a neighborhood appropriately known as Hessian Camp. Duh. The descendants of those Hessian soldiers founded a Lutheran Church in Reading, in which I was baptized (at age 35) and where I suppose I technically remain a member.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

The proper pronunciation for that small, flowing ripple of water is 'Crick'.  Creek is a Native American nation.   :nyah:

And the “Jyaniggle”? Also spelled Giant Eagle?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

The proper pronunciation for that small, flowing ripple of water is 'Crick'.  Creek is a Native American nation.   :nyah:

Warsh-rag is another word I always say that throws people off or warshing-machine . Go warsh the dishes I often tell my wife when she gets on my nerves 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jason Abshier said:

Warsh-rag is another word I always say that throws people off or warshing-machine . Go warsh the dishes I often tell my wife when she gets on my nerves 

They warsh all the way into at least Indiana.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jason Abshier said:

Warsh-rag is another word I always say that throws people off or warshing-machine .

Exactly.  I just don't know what's wrong with people these days.  :bigsmile:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sooooo Mapman are you enjoying the ride. There’s another forum available pcgs. But this one is pretty awesome because it has gone here and there in this post and well we’re here and better for it. Just witnessed a very long thread on ase’s and new dollars get the boot over there. Lovely people there and lots of knowledge but I don’t have enough armor to venture into it much. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Like I said I'm good, except my email is blowin up about accents and stuff. By the way It's a wahshah, but I'm not from mass. We called tourists from Mass, Flat Landers. and a bunch of other names.

I did write to the guy and it is Indra, and he seems like a good guy.

Edited by MapmanSRQ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, James Zyskowski said:

Sooooo Mapman are you enjoying the ride. There’s another forum available pcgs. But this one is pretty awesome because it has gone here and there in this post and well we’re here and better for it. Just witnessed a very long thread on ase’s and new dollars get the boot over there. Lovely people there and lots of knowledge but I don’t have enough armor to venture into it much. 

That's the problem with "over there."  All they want to do is talk acoins.  And it's done with humorless, surgical precision. Bor-ing. Anti-social. And ultimately user-unfriendly.  Many Great Minds here were exiled from there.  I survived only because I kept my mouth shut. It's too bad the few days I take off here now and again can't be banked as gaol-time against future violations. Man, I love this place! You think they'd allow Jayiniggle, crick or warshrag over there? Fuhgettaboutit!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

That's the problem with "over there."  All they want to do is talk acoins.  And it's done with humorless, surgical precision. Bor-ing. Anti-social. And ultimately user-unfriendly.  Many Great Minds here were exiled from there.  I survived only because I kept my mouth shut. It's too bad the few days I take off here now and again can't be banked as gaol-time against future violations. Man, I love this place! You think they'd allow Jayiniggle, crick or warshrag over there? Fuhgettaboutit!

They can be difficult.  I guarantee this is the only big time site with a newbie section. A place where going in its understood newbie questions and experienced answers might need a minute to mesh😎   I’m not trying to keep track of violations I’m trying to be in the forgiveness and learning business. As for me your ok and will probably always be….it’s crick up here 

72494964-82D3-42B1-8F0E-523FF6E48D16.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like I said, I wrote to Indra, and he seems like a decent guy and has a lot of coins. I checked and NGC has a nice Canadian Label that is available to us individual members. So I am going to spring for having them re-labelled and have the name removed. I'm not going to tell him that his heirs won't find them.

I bought a few, and going to sell some.There is a strong market for the special labels, and people pay a premium. I don't think it is right that they have other labels and slabs only available to the big dealers. But that is another topic.

Happy 4th of July!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MapmanSRQ said:

There is a strong market for the special labels, and people pay a premium.

Sadly, it's true. I try to avoid them, standard brown please, but if the coin and price are right label be danged. It's difficult to not end up with at least a few in your collection. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a very big world and I get surprised all the time. I can’t believe you’re going to spend a small fortune to change history. Many many times I have heard we are but humble keepers of our collection. I used to spend a lot of time wondering why people do what they do. Now I just take a note and move on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4