1965 proof lincoln cent
1 1

10 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Just Bob said:

In this case, it has to be a Special Mint Set coin, as there were no proofs made in 1965, 66, or 67.

Hello Bob.  Question here on this one if you don't mind sir?  I am familiar with the whole SMS thing for the years you pointed out for LMC's and that there were not any proofs during this time frame.  What are you seeing on the OP's Cent that would make it an SMS? I've read somewhere in the past about the controversy about SMS's vs. business strikes...... when and where I read this I do not remember.  To my eye this cent appears to be a normal business strike (still a decent Red though).  I say this because in my comparisons with SMS Cents, there seems to be an ever so slight bit more of a separation between the rim and the motto on an SMS (if I am seeing this correctly during my comparisons granted I am wearing my readers...:bigsmile:, I could be totally wrong in saying this). Just trying to learn as much as I can here on this subject.  Not trying to hi-jack this thread, I just think many of us could learn from you and others' exceptional knowledge on this subject. Thanks!

Edited by GBrad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member: Seasoned Veteran

It looks like an ordinary currency strike, though the obverse is faintly PL. The San Francisco Assay Office (Mint) coined the 1965 SMS sets in 1966, and the dies no longer needed for that purpose were likely put to work striking regular coins until August 1, 1966, when the current year's coinage commenced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, GBrad said:

Hello Bob.  Question here on this one if you don't mind sir?  I am familiar with the whole SMS thing for the years you pointed out for LMC's and that there were not any proofs during this time frame.  What are you seeing on the OP's Cent that would make it an SMS? I've read somewhere in the past about the controversy about SMS's vs. business strikes...... when and where I read this I do not remember.  To my eye this cent appears to be a normal business strike (still a decent Red though).  I say this because in my comparisons with SMS Cents, there seems to be an ever so slight bit more of a separation between the rim and the motto on an SMS (if I am seeing this correctly during my comparisons granted I am wearing my readers...:bigsmile:, I could be totally wrong in saying this). Just trying to learn as much as I can here on this subject.  Not trying to hi-jack this thread, I just think many of us could learn from you and others' exceptional knowledge on this subject. Thanks!

I should have worded my response differently, evidently. I did not mean to imply that I thought the OP's coin was a special mint set coin. I just meant that, because of the date, it could not be a proof coin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I should have worded my response differently, evidently. I did not mean to imply that I thought the OP's coin was a special mint set coin. I just meant that, because of the date, it could not be a proof coin.

I'm clear Just Bob.  Thank you.

Edited by GBrad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In any case we need better pictures, for we might see something, then not say anything cause your pictures are lacking.

I for one have questions on this, I in IN GOD, the W in WE, also keep in mind it might be nothing,,, but without better pictures it's hard to say anything about your coin.

Hope this helps :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In response to your comments about the coin. I will post closer and clearer pictures or at least try. Also if this is a business strike would you say that this coins condition would be in a mint state condition and if so could you give me an idea on how high roughly so i can compare my other finds. I am truly a newbie obviously trying to learn has not been easy but always up for a new challenge and willing to search through thousands of coins in order to find at least one inspirational find to keep my enthusiasm high without being too discouraged by the more seasoned professionals? Also dont want to put too much into a hobby i have no business picking up in the first place if i lack the proper skills and ability to identify and remember all the many varieties and errors as there can be so many that look similiar in nature through regular wear and tear. Im certainly amped up on the subject and am getting other people concious to the point of searching through all of thier coins on a daily basis. I must have collected from 1919-1965 over 200 coins that being of lincoln wheat cents are in at least really good to very fine or better state.That was through the bank or somebody elses piggy banks just for fun. Im working now on learning to identify the differences in wear and tear and actual error. Thank you for all of your helpful comments and thank you for clarifying that in this particular year there were no proof sets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Michelemoney said:

In response to your comments about the coin. I will post closer and clearer pictures or at least try. Also if this is a business strike would you say that this coins condition would be in a mint state condition and if so could you give me an idea on how high roughly so i can compare my other finds. I am truly a newbie obviously trying to learn has not been easy but always up for a new challenge and willing to search through thousands of coins in order to find at least one inspirational find to keep my enthusiasm high without being too discouraged by the more seasoned professionals? Also dont want to put too much into a hobby i have no business picking up in the first place if i lack the proper skills and ability to identify and remember all the many varieties and errors as there can be so many that look similiar in nature through regular wear and tear. Im certainly amped up on the subject and am getting other people concious to the point of searching through all of thier coins on a daily basis. I must have collected from 1919-1965 over 200 coins that being of lincoln wheat cents are in at least really good to very fine or better state.That was through the bank or somebody elses piggy banks just for fun. Im working now on learning to identify the differences in wear and tear and actual error. Thank you for all of your helpful comments and thank you for clarifying that in this particular year there were no proof sets.

Michelle,

Its good to hear you are excited and want to learn. The pictures aren’t clear enough for good grading feedback, but I can point you to a few resources that I find helpful. This is just my personal recommendation. 
 

1. PCGS photo grade app is free and a nice way to see side by side photo comparisons through the grading scale. It’s also convenient in that it is a phone app. 
 

2. ANA grading standards is a nice book to study if you want to go deeper. I don’t remember the cost, but I don’t believe it was unreasonable. A gently used copy can probably be had for a very reasonable price. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anytime you have a subject with a substantial amount of knowledge it’s going to take time. Welcome to the forum. Newbies we are asking away question after question and those who have a greater volume of knowledge and advice answering them. It sounds like you have the desire so please stay awhile. Thanks for posting 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1