• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheat Penny weight question?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hi Guys 

l just needed to ask about some of my wheat penny that l have, just  wondering why morethan 3.11 is their weight and some are 3.00, the 3.00 are they struck with silver? 

Thanks

881B9614-05AD-4AD2-87BD-BF6E702B87A9.jpeg

Cents have went through composition changes through the years, but no silver. The various compositions have weight variances. I’ll list the list below. This cent isn’t a little heavy. I think the variance is +\- .13 grams, but a copper expert will soon correct that if it’s wrong. Are you certain your scale is accurate? Even if it is a little heavy I don’t think that is enough out of tolerance to be worth a premium, but others may correct that. 

Bronze Lincoln Cents

Dates: 1909-1942, 1947-1962, 2009
Composition: 95% copper, 5% tin and zinc
Weight: 3.11 grams
Diameter: 19 mm

Zinc Coated Steel Lincoln Cents

Date: 1943
Composition: steel coated with zinc
Weight: 2.70 grams

Copper Lincoln Cents

Dates: 1944-1946, 1962-1982
Composition: 95% copper, 5% zinc

Hi Greenstang thanks for your help,  regards the weight  for Wheat penny 2.99 to 3.23g  are still acceptable and  there was no error or changes in composition right that happened if that case right and anything morethan 3.23 and lessthan 2.99 are those considered error or worn? Sorry just want to clarify..

thanks really appreciate!

1 hour ago, Woods020 said:

Cents have went through composition changes through the years, but no silver. The various compositions have weight variances. I’ll list the list below. This cent isn’t a little heavy. I think the variance is +\- .13 grams, but a copper expert will soon correct that if it’s wrong. Are you certain your scale is accurate? Even if it is a little heavy I don’t think that is enough out of tolerance to be worth a premium, but others may correct that. 

Bronze Lincoln Cents

Dates: 1909-1942, 1947-1962, 2009
Composition: 95% copper, 5% tin and zinc

Zinc Coated Steel Lincoln Cents

Date: 1943
Composition: steel coated with zinc
Weight: 2.70 grams

Copper Lincoln Cents

Dates: 1944-1946, 1962-1982
Composition: 95% copper, 5% zinc

Hi woods Thanks for the info, Regarding the scale yes it is callibrated  just came accross with my wheat penny and l notice those 1944-58 mostly more than 3.11 - 3.19 and from 1909-1939 mostly between 2.70 - 3.00

20 minutes ago, Cresencio said:

Hi woods Thanks for the info, Regarding the scale yes it is callibrated  just came accross with my wheat penny and l notice those 1944-58 mostly more than 3.11 - 3.19 and from 1909-1939 mostly between 2.70 - 3.00

The earlier cents must be worn from circulation. They went on a circulation diet. 

I have some of the collectible coins my grandfather gave me. Some of these coins are very rare, but some are very cheap. For example, one day, my wife wanted a smart body scale, and I exchanged one coin from my collection for this scale https://www.vont.com/product/smart-scale-bathroom-scale-weight-scale/ . I want to sell this collection in a few years to build a house for my children. One appraiser said that my collection is very expensive. If I add some money, I could buy a house in a nice neighborhood. And I have a stamp collection and plan to join the philatelic club.

Edited by BrookMunshi5

On 7/20/2022 at 8:52 AM, BrookMunshi5 said:

I have some of the collectible coins my grandfather gave me. Some of these coins are very rare, but some are very cheap.

Members would probably like to hear about both the rare and the cheap. Post some nice clear photos and tell us about the collection.