• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Nickel Questions

11 posts in this topic

1. I apologize for the number of pics. 2. Some taken in daylight, some under magnification or microscope, w/&w/o Xtra lighting. 3. Is location and blending of letters/date due to damage or from mint? 4. Something just looks odd about this coin's pattern of "damage"IMG_20210623_124303830.thumb.jpg.5089e11551700efce61e6eeaf191c31b.jpgCM210623-125211022.jpg.c89ce1419ea69bf80408bdc9b9cf5d9d.jpgIMG_20210623_124145938.thumb.jpg.620aeec402d938b6698a9ffd2860a70b.jpgCM210623-125211022.jpg.c89ce1419ea69bf80408bdc9b9cf5d9d.jpgCM210623-124821004.jpg.3298400bd601817514062591268129b2.jpg? 😁 Thanks for tolerating me during this learning curve. I really appreciate it! XxxOoo

CM210623-125052013.jpg

CM210623-125049012.jpg

CM210623-125056015.jpg

CM210623-125054014.jpg

No errors.

Just extreme Die Deterioration and circulation wear.

When looking at a coin, ask yourself how this could have happened during the striking of the coin. If the answer is it couldn't, then it is damage, no matter how it happened.

One thing I’m doing is watching video and reading forums and information on line about the minting process. Also I’m learning about this wonderful artist name of Dan Carr. Moonlight mint. He posts now and again on the other forum. I’m too new to-this forum to know if he’s here and I lack the armor to jump in too much with that group but I do read it.All this is rather eye opening. Welcome! We’ll learn together 

11 hours ago, James Zyskowski said:

One thing I’m doing is watching video and reading forums and information on line about the minting process. Also I’m learning about this wonderful artist name of Dan Carr. Moonlight mint. He posts now and again on the other forum. I’m too new to-this forum to know if he’s here and I lack the armor to jump in too much with that group but I do read it.All this is rather eye opening. Welcome! We’ll learn together 

You'll find a lot of conviction and opinion on the topic of Daniel Carr and Moonlight Mint in these forums.  Do a little search and grab some popcorn.  There's a lot of reading to be done.  :)

2 hours ago, Crawtomatic said:

You'll find a lot of conviction and opinion on the topic of Daniel Carr and Moonlight Mint in these forums.  Do a little search and grab some popcorn.  There's a lot of reading to be done.  :)

Don’t hold your breath for video of Dan and @RWB in a bear hug. Not happenin’!

17 hours ago, James Zyskowski said:

Note my reference to needing armor over there 🤓. NumisMagic hang on we’re about to possibly get a look at DCarr’s effect on the business. I know he designed for the mint and now produces interesting repunchs. And outside the box coin designs and makes them himself. What we possibly might learn is about the man and his interactions with others 

39 minutes ago, James Zyskowski said:

Note my reference to needing armor over there 🤓. NumisMagic hang on we’re about to possibly get a look at DCarr’s effect on the business. I know he designed for the mint and now produces interesting repunchs. And outside the box coin designs and makes them himself. What we possibly might learn is about the man and his interactions with others 

I don’t know that anyone has had a bad experience with him personally. It’s more a debate on if his work is largely counterfeiting and/or damage to coins or is it artistic creation? I have an opinion myself, but lots of people on both sides of the argument. I will say that I fundamentally hate to see an authentic coin altered in any way. Whether it be artificial toning, cleaning, or re-striking. My own personal view. I want it as close to the way it left the press at the mint the day it was struck as I can find it.