• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions about Susan B Anthony Dollar coins

9 posts in this topic

Couldn't get good lighting. W/O Xtra illumination they are all the similar in color, etc except for the 1981-S. She's always had that curved line with different toning. Anywho... Can anyone advise What to look for in determining if SBA coins (in general) 1492490898_IMG_20210616_1340175253.thumb.jpg.96156447fdb43d1622a5d8814ff8d9b9.jpg1308389688_IMG_20210616_1346363522.thumb.jpg.15b5c83fb9f9a3fa734d9b8e5a3a4a2b.jpgare worth more than $1.00?  And if selling is it best to keep set intact even though no 1999 coins? Thank you!

I'm no expert but I think I've plucked out 2 67's in the past 2 years.  Just going off memory here's things I can remember.

1. Luster.  I *feel* like a coin with beautiful cartwheel luster gets a pass in other categories.  It's that eye appeal.
  2.  Obverse:
    1. Clean cheeks.  The cheeks get contact marks & chatter a bit.  A "clean" minute contact mark isn't a killer but it'll need to be lower on the profile, like towards the chin.
    2. well defined lines in the hair, especially the area north of the ear.
  3. Reverse:
    1. defined feathers on the eagle's breast.  it's a high point so it gets smushy a lot here.
    2. a moon with a full rim.  the lower left side of the moon tends to not get a full strike on worn dies.

I'm sure others can provide more details. 

31 minutes ago, Crawtomatic said:

I'm no expert but I think I've plucked out 2 67's in the past 2 years.  Just going off memory here's things I can remember.

1. Luster.  I *feel* like a coin with beautiful cartwheel luster gets a pass in other categories.  It's that eye appeal.
  2.  Obverse:
    1. Clean cheeks.  The cheeks get contact marks & chatter a bit.  A "clean" minute contact mark isn't a killer but it'll need to be lower on the profile, like towards the chin.
    2. well defined lines in the hair, especially the area north of the ear.
  3. Reverse:
    1. defined feathers on the eagle's breast.  it's a high point so it gets smushy a lot here.
    2. a moon with a full rim.  the lower left side of the moon tends to not get a full strike on worn dies.

I'm sure others can provide more details. 

Yes to all of this. 

I would want to buy it as a set. Now being new I’m learning to voice my opinion but be prepared for some hard fast learning. That said it’s very cool to me. There’s certain things about the 79 and or 81 type 1&2 these folks will know 

Edited by James Zyskowski

35 minutes ago, James Zyskowski said:

I would want to buy it as a set. Now being new I’m learning to voice my opinion but be prepared for some hard fast learning. That said it’s very cool to me. There’s certain things about the 79 and or 81 type 1&2 these folks will know 

Why not add the 1999 pieces and complete it?

On 6/24/2021 at 8:42 AM, NumisMagic said:

$$?

Probably $3 or $4.  Almost certainly less than $5. And that's total not each.

Edited by Conder101