1916 Wheat Cent, Train Wreck Comparisons

15 posts in this topic

Comparisons added with flattened marks circled, hmmm kinda makes you wonder,,, why close to 1300 proof coins minted that year and not more, just saying :)

Definition of train wreck for me is like a pile up of coins, all same year with matching marks, somehow these made the Proof status regardless,, (pics removed), whereas mine did not.

Added pictures, where excess copper has been pushed to the edges, also these match the same buildup on my 1978 D. (added)

I'll also get better pics and switch them around with better buildup photos.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1916-1c-rd/3326

Thanks all

P_20210625_184403_1.jpg

P_20210625_184246_1.jpg

20210706_00_09_42_1.jpg

20210706_00_09_28_2.jpg

20210625_22_23_58_1.jpg

20210625_22_23_09_1.jpg

20210706_00_09_28_1.jpg

21-04-08 18:51:01.png

Edited by SlickCoins

Sorry, but that's a Philadelphia Mint coin - there is no mintmark.

On 6/22/2021 at 10:06 PM, SlickCoins said:

I was wrong, @RWB

After doing some research on it, could it be a proof, with a matte finish?

Thanks again all :)

If you are referring to the 1916 cent, it has no characteristics of proof cents of that date....Well, the design and date are the same... :)

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It's a well struck currency piece from fresh dies and with a bit of strike doubling.

12 minutes ago, SlickCoins said:

I added more pics also, yeah the proof is super rare, so I highly doubt this is one, I'm just going off comparisons.

Thanks all

Did you try to match up any known die markers?  

BTW. The rims are too rounded to be a proof

Posted (edited)

The more I'm looking at it, yeah I have to chase down some marks, chances are it's a train wreck also.

I'm not 100%, but right above the E in Liberty, looks like something raised, looks like a cat or something, lol I'm seeing things again, amongst other marks.

I had no idea about that Oldhoopster, thanks 😊

Again thanks all

Edited by SlickCoins

37 minutes ago, SlickCoins said:

The more I'm looking at it, yeah I have to chase down some marks, chances are it's a train wreck also.

I'm not 100%, but right above the E in Liberty, looks like something raised, looks like a cat or something, lol I'm seeing things again, amongst other marks.

I had no idea about that Oldhoopster, thanks 😊

Again thanks all

20210625_22_22_28.png

20210625_22_26_31.png

20210625_22_25_47.png

Not sure you understand.  Numismatic researchers have studied Matte Proof Lincolns and determined specific marks found on the dies used to strike these coins.  

Once you feel that a potential MPL has proper striking characteristics (sharp squared rims, full detail, etc) you can search for the known markers and see if they match your coin.  You're not just looking for any marks, you're looking for the known marks that are found on 1916 MPL coins.  Requires some research.

However, it would be a lot easier if you listened to the extremely knowledgeable numismatists that posted helpful answers to your question.   Here is a book by Kevin Flynn that should answer your questions if you don't want to listen to the people trying to help you.  

31EHjPBAhOL._AC_SY350_.jpg

Posted (edited)

Ok, I finished the obverse  MPL comparisons and it's looking like I said, flattened over & crazy marks all over the coin, I'll add date and reverse in awhile.

We all know what I think 🤔😂

Thanks again :)

Edited by SlickCoins

How about defining "flattened" for us? You've used it multiple times to describe something only you are able to see. Your help is needed.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I'm gonna get better shots of the back, I do see stuff that might match,, the MPL I found just was one page and was obverse only.

Thanks again for everything

Edited by SlickCoins