• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Purchased 5 modern coin proofs from mint, 3 of 5 have scratch or gouge
1 1

47 posts in this topic

I purchased 5 coins from a mint in UK. Thought of having them graded. Mintage 10,000. They are referred to as a proof, reverse frosted. On 3 coins there is either a scratch of gouge on the reverse design. They are PL quality, but I’m not sure how damage would effect grading. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

035E89B2-D21F-464D-A91E-3E2C0A0DAB97.jpeg

C7FF7A02-7F79-4860-A4B3-F9A1B1169F22.jpeg

Edited by Walter Holmes
Correct typi

I feel your pain! Did you get these directly from the mint or dealer ? Hopefully they take them back . Hopefully you can get a replacement if they aren’t all sold out . You should contact mint directly show them the pictures of gouge on the coin 

3 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Agreed 100%.  However "lately".  My disappointment began with the 1980s sets and really set me against US Mint with that 50 State Quarters Program.  Sometimes new ideas aren't always good ideas.  Once upon a time our money, coins and paper, was beautiful.  What happened to the Mint???

I disagree that perfection is a valid expectation. Ya pays yo money n’ ya takes yo chances. 

I have reached out to the mint, customer service seems to lack in a similar fashion to their quality control. Yes, definitely damage to coins. Gouge on eyelid has removed frosted finish leaving a twinkle of shiny silver  in her eye. Also under magnification long fine scratches on proof finish on flamingo similar to a slider. Here’s pic of eyelid damage, but couldn’t get the twinkle.  Just a real disappointment. 

EFF80616-1078-4B4B-913C-E89C4D3EE859.jpeg

Yes people think we coin collectors are way to fussy. And Yes I am fussy, If I am paying top dollar for a product that is graded on it's quality now and in the future it better look 100%. But who am I to say, I like coins with defects . But not new ones.¬¬

Edited by J P Mashoke

10 hours ago, Jason Abshier said:

You’re not alone I just ordered a ST. Helena Queen’s virtues Victory angel silver round that has nick just behind the Queen’s eye ! Your post Jinxed me ! I’m sending mine back 

A6771671-EC0A-4C0B-82BE-CCE25E803AFB.jpeg

E28E1709-7365-45DF-B07D-0E9BCD77F14E.jpeg

That is indeed a beautiful coin!🤩 There must have been a gremlin making havoc and mayhem at the mints. Obviously, the eyes were a favorite place to scratch. Definitely send it back. 

I was advised today to let the mint know in advance if I want the coin graded. They  will increase the price slightly due to extra handling and selection. 

7 minutes ago, Walter Holmes said:

I was advised today to let the mint know in advance if I want the coin graded. They  will increase the price slightly due to extra handling and selection. 

Are you serious ? They said that ? Lol! If they told me that I wouldn’t do business with them again . That’s BS right there they are supposed offer clean , honest business and fair prices to each and every customer, the prices shouldn’t increase because you want to have the coins graded. Sounds like they were being smarta** towards you about it or simply because they are too stupid or don’t care or have Q.C looking at coins when they are striking them …

Low mintage coins? Each coin should be carefully struck few times on high pressure to fully bring out best of the dies on the coin and handled right away in capsules .

My coin I’m sending it back to vendor who I purchased it through in return he shipping me another one back , he will ship the one I’m sending back to him back to mint to get a replacement 

@Walter Holmesdid you get your coins through Pobjoy mint ? I’ve heard of other who ordered from that mint weren’t to happy with their customer service or minting they did on some coins … Funny farm mint ! Probably have a QC guy with poor eyesight wearing glasses thick as the bottom of glass coke bottle looking at those coins coming off the minting press 

46 minutes ago, Jason Abshier said:

Are you serious ? They said that ? Lol! If they told me that I wouldn’t do business with them again . That’s BS right there they are supposed offer clean , honest business and fair prices to each and every customer, the prices shouldn’t increase because you want to have the coins graded. Sounds like they were being smarta** towards you about it or simply because they are too stupid or don’t care or have Q.C looking at coins when they are striking them …

Low mintage coins? Each coin should be carefully struck few times on high pressure to fully bring out best of the dies on the coin and handled right away in capsules .

My coin I’m sending it back to vendor who I purchased it through in return he shipping me another one back , he will ship the one I’m sending back to him back to mint to get a replacement 

It’s EXACTLY the way I’d do it if I were that mint. There is no right to a perfect coin. Never has been. What are they supposed to do with coins with tiny marks? Scrap them? Get real. 

Edited by VKurtB

7 minutes ago, Jason Abshier said:

@Walter Holmesdid you get your coins through Pobjoy mint ? I’ve heard of other who ordered from that mint weren’t to happy with their customer service or minting they did on some coins … Funny farm mint ! Probably have a QC guy with poor eyesight wearing glasses thick as the bottom of glass coke bottle looking at those coins coming off the minting press 

Yes. I purchased them directly through the Pobjoy mint. Reached out to a coin dealer and a collector I know in the UK. None have heard specific complaints about quality, though they found the quality of these coins very disappointing 🤷🏼‍♂️

1 minute ago, Walter Holmes said:

Yes. I purchased them directly through the Pobjoy mint. Reached out to a coin dealer and a collector I know in the UK. None have heard specific complaints about quality, though they found the quality of these coins very disappointing 🤷🏼‍♂️

Pobjoy Mint will probably have a booth at Rosemont. Stop by and rap with them about quality standards. 

12 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

It’s EXACTLY the way I’d do it if I were that mint. There is no right to a perfect coin. Never has been. 

Perfect is one thing, but careless handling of what they call BU uncirculated is quite another. These are quite noticeable gouges, scratches and dings on coins with a limit of 10000. Biggest disappointment was due to uniqueness of coins. Obverse has “P” privy mark and reverse has mint mark. The mint isn’t known for using a privy mark. 

1 minute ago, Walter Holmes said:

Perfect is one thing, but careless handling of what they call BU uncirculated is quite another. These are quite noticeable gouges, scratches and dings on coins with a limit of 10000. Biggest disappointment was due to uniqueness of coins. Obverse has “P” privy mark and reverse has mint mark. The mint isn’t known for using a privy mark. 

Previously, no one had been known for privy marks. Now everywhere is doing it. It’s what sells, so expect more. I really don’t care if the output is 10 million or 10 thousand or 10. Expecting (as opposed to hoping for) a perfect coin is not reasonable.