• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Purchased 5 modern coin proofs from mint, 3 of 5 have scratch or gouge
1 1

47 posts in this topic

Just now, VKurtB said:

Previously, no one had been known for privy marks. Now everywhere is doing it. It’s what sells, so expect more. I really don’t care if the output is 10 million or 10 thousand or 10. Expecting (as opposed to hoping for) a perfect coin is not reasonable. 

Hahaha! You know - you are absolutely right!

Just now, Walter Holmes said:

I would preferred damage was to the field and not to the focal point of the design. 🙄

That’s fair. 

8 hours ago, VKurtB said:

There is no right to a perfect coin. Never has been. What are they supposed to do with coins with tiny marks? Scrap them? Get real. 

They are supposed to fix the problem right there before it creates more problems down line , it could of happened at end of production …. I work in machine shop for living setting up CNC machines and manufacturing precision bearings for customers believe me tight tolerances are a must there not short cut or “if it got a scratch or dent we’ll send it out anyways hope and pray customer understands us we tried our best” …. Time is money to some people, a good experience machinist doesn’t scrap parts especially large parts weigh over 1-2ton big solid chunk of steel …A good  QC person makes world of difference 2nd set of eyes make sure everything measuring right all tolerance are clicking in before it ships out to customer …. Yeah maybe my machining background is interfering with way I’m look at mint making modern coins with newer technology coin presses and better dies with nicks , gouges , scratches are not acceptable should be fixed . Or if someone is handling them rough before encapsulated them ? That person should be trained better … so getting real ? Goes a long way me when it comes to manufacturing 

9 hours ago, Walter Holmes said:

The mint isn’t known for using a privy mark. 

:roflmao:

Sorry, not trying to be mean but as an IoM collector I found that statement funny. Pobjoy is one of the biggest purveyors of privy marks that I've seen. They've been sticking privy marks on IoM coins since at least 1979, maybe the privy mark is unusual for that series (flamingo) but it's not unusual for that mint to use them.

I suspect that the coins have some frosting defects, around the eye area on two of the coins, as opposed to a gouge or scratch but it is hard to tell from the pics. A frosting defect is not that unusual for modern proofs. 

11 hours ago, Walter Holmes said:

I would preferred damage was to the field and not to the focal point of the design. 🙄

That make more sense to me , I can live with small nick or gouge in the outer field of the coin or around the rim edges but not smack dabbed right in middle of the coin’s design , if it were plain old bullion like a silver eagle for investment purposes I wouldn’t mind … it’s like collecting Morgan dollars a lot of them have scratches and scuffs all over the coins from being in mint bags we have choice keep looking for a better Morgan with lesser scuff marks it is what it is . But proof coins struck for collectors there shouldn’t be any marks like that each customer pays the same amount money to receive the mint’s best of the best . That’s why they make proof coins for collectors to show customers how good they can mint a coin or how good their QC is when they are striking coins for collectors .

Although I don’t plan on sending any of my silver coins in for grading they don’t warrant the price tag to me to be graded but I still like and admire a collector’s coin that was well struck and handled properly before it arrived to my door 

Edited by Jason Abshier

1 hour ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

:roflmao:

Sorry, not trying to be mean but as an IoM collector I found that statement funny. Pobjoy is one of the biggest purveyors of privy marks that I've seen. They've been sticking privy marks on IoM coins since at least 1979, maybe the privy mark is unusual for that series (flamingo) but it's not unusual for that mint to use them.

I suspect that the coins have some frosting defects, around the eye area on two of the coins, as opposed to a gouge or scratch but it is hard to tell from the pics. A frosting defect is not that unusual for modern proofs. 

I agree, however, this is a silver bullion coin where Pobjoy states “A silver bullion privy mark “P” is also present which is unique to Pobjoy Mint bullion coins.” The defect is a gouge dug deep into the coin removing the frosted effect on the eye lid. 

Pobjoy is incorrect on the P mint mark. Ase’s from the 90’s like a1996P and Perth mint Aus. Might have a few🙀  Oh boy might have opened the MM versus privy door . Kinda same same to me but this is where the learning begins 

Edited by James Zyskowski

27 minutes ago, Walter Holmes said:

A silver bullion privy mark “P” is also present which is unique to Pobjoy Mint bullion coins.”

Yep, they have used that privy mark on other series, the Angel series comes to mind as one.

39 minutes ago, James Zyskowski said:

Pobjoy is incorrect on the P mint mark. Ase’s from the 90’s like a1996P and Perth mint Aus. Might have a few🙀  Oh boy might have opened the MM versus privy door . Kinda same same to me but this is where the learning begins 

I interpreted the privy mark as a minter, or as a proof in this case. It makes no sense to me to have both a minter privy mark and a mint mark on the same coin. Getting confused.🤷🏼‍♂️

12 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Now everywhere is doing it. It’s what sells,

Whoever said "There's a sucker born every minute" must have had these so called 'Privy Marks' in mind.  You should read the out pouring of love for the CC Privy Mark ATS.  :D  If I want to see a Double C mint mark I'll dig this one out.

89CC_XF45_F.jpg

2 hours ago, Walter Holmes said:

This one has no defects, a beautiful proof like quality. 3F3D3455-B3B1-4D4C-9D84-FB4139A1F8DB.thumb.jpeg.f2d5ca00644b0adc03af332426ef4c30.jpeg79337F4D-C71B-4B71-A924-678615B58769.thumb.jpeg.b4c26e99e21c48cfc7424c06bfcadded.jpeg

I may just be seeing dust (I can't tell from a still photo), but I see all kinds of marks here, particularly on the flamingo side.

9 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I may just be seeing dust (I can't tell from a still photo), but I see all kinds of marks here, particularly on the flamingo side.

I thought that also, appears to be shadows from the plastic capsule. I have not yet removed to actually determine if it is the coin 😊