• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Definition of SP (Specimen)

6 posts in this topic

Hello NGC,

Several members in the forum were discussing the various attributes of an SP or specimen designated coin. It was surprising to see that many very knowledgeable numismatist feel it’s unclear. In the NGC grading standards it essentially says somewhere between MS and Proof. 

Could you provide us a detailed definition, in NGC’s determination, what constitutes SP?

Edited by Woods020

Also in reading much of the description on various parts of NGCs website, it seems very vague and confusing. It often mentions mirrored fields and frosted devices as reasons to label a coin SP, but this would seem more fitting of a PL designation. It would be very helpful to many collectors to understand a stricter definition and to have the rationale applied when a coin is labeled SP. 

Not that you asked me, but I’ll post my interpretation:

1) Not technically a proof, for lack of one or more defining attributes.

2) Not intended for circulation.

3) Not struck on presses designed for circulation strikes. 

This is a work in progress. 

Note: this would define all “strike your own coin” pieces at the Llantrisant British Royal Mint as SP coins. 

Edited by VKurtB

7 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Note: this would define all “strike your own coin” pieces at the Llantrisant British Royal Mint as SP coins. 

I welcome all opinions. I think we could all benefit from a defined usage of the term. Any time a term in a subject as technical as numismatics is nebulous problems and misinformation are soon to follow. 

9 hours ago, VKurtB said:

2 out of 3 not too shabby....if it were baseball ud be in the hall of fame at cooperstown...first two seem plausible n realistic...number 3, ur thinking only in terms of US minting which is fine if that is the parameters...several of the other mints in the world define their specimen strikings not so much as to special planchets, dies or presses but to the handling of the coins after striking, i.e. king nortons mint describe their specimen strikes as to the fact that after striking the coin is manually removed from the dies n segregated from all other coins n placed in separate envelopes thereby not coming into contact with other coins, normally these specimen coins r from the very first coins struck from that issue n archived as such, technically speaking the last specimen strike n the first circulation strike would be virtually indistinguishable from each other, except for their handling following the minting process.....essentially subsequent handling following striking as opposed to special preparations prior to striking.....

10 hours ago, zadok said:

2 out of 3 not too shabby....if it were baseball ud be in the hall of fame at cooperstown...first two seem plausible n realistic...number 3, ur thinking only in terms of US minting which is fine if that is the parameters...several of the other mints in the world define their specimen strikings not so much as to special planchets, dies or presses but to the handling of the coins after striking, i.e. king nortons mint describe their specimen strikes as to the fact that after striking the coin is manually removed from the dies n segregated from all other coins n placed in separate envelopes thereby not coming into contact with other coins, normally these specimen coins r from the very first coins struck from that issue n archived as such, technically speaking the last specimen strike n the first circulation strike would be virtually indistinguishable from each other, except for their handling following the minting process.....essentially subsequent handling following striking as opposed to special preparations prior to striking.....

That works for me too, as a replacement for my #3.