• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 penny s

24 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Geno g said:

Wondering what’s the value 

Without any photos it is impossible to give you any guidance other than it's worth the face value of one cent.

It’s value is in the copper, otherwise it is worth one cent.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think it is worth more?

Edited by Greenstang

It’s certainly not the strong DDO for this date/mint. There is another DDO that is much more subtle. Can you get a close up and nicely cropped photo of the date? The doubling would primarily be seen in the upper part of the 6 and 9 in the date if there. 

If you can’t get a good picture this is what the DDO would look like. It’s fairly subtle due to weak hubbing. If it is there this DDO is not attributed by NGC only the major one is. 

1C10B86A-B7B5-4267-BD31-215E49FA6FBC.jpeg

5AEC3E48-7982-483E-B45A-F678B3B3E9D0.jpeg

6D1930EA-A309-4D97-9F4C-83CF6728D693.jpeg

That "S" mint mark looks interesting. It would be nice to see a clear picture of it. There is a RPM listed on Variety Vista that looks similar.

It is at the very least a very slightly Misaligned Die or MAD (without seeing the reverse to tell if it is an off-center strike).  Not that it is worth more than face value but it is still a minor strike error and pretty neat and worth throwing in a 2x2 if you'd like.

Edited by GBrad

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

That "S" mint mark looks interesting. It would be nice to see a clear picture of it. There is a RPM listed on Variety Vista that looks similar.

7FAB7843-1204-49A3-898C-9D3D618E09FE.jpeg

I agree with Just Bob on the Mint Mark.  It possibly looks like something is there from your pics.  I looked at VV's listings for this year's RPM but I did not see any Mint Marks with the same positioning as your Cent. Unless those are just spectacularly placed die chips....... I'm not sure.  I will wait on the experts to comment.  

Edited by GBrad

While there is definitely something going on with the mint mark, I don’t think it is an RPM or OMM. It doesn’t appear to match any of the RPMs on variety Vista. Likely this is a worn die or chipped die. 

This is the one that I was looking at. It is RPM-001. Now that I see it on my laptop, it does not match as closely as it did on my phone. Sorry, if I got your hopes up, OP. :blush:

1969SRPM001af.jpg