• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

British Large Cents - Album??
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I love these large coins, want to start an album, can't find one. I have several dating 1914 through 1966.

Does anyone in the community know if there is a manufacturer out there and where I might find them, new or used?? 

Thanks.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

First, a correction---these are not cents---they are pennies.

There are no current manufacturers of folders or albums for British pre-decimal bronze coins. Whitman folders printed during the 1960s-70s are not hard to find on eBay, and they don't cost much, perhaps $5-10 each. Whitman's slide-type Bookshelf albums are more scarce and expensive. These date from the same period. You would need two such albums, 1902-36 and 1937-. The example linked above is higher priced than ones sold in the USA. You should be able to pick these up in decent condition for around $25-35 each.

Volume 3 - front cover - small.jpg

On 6/19/2021 at 5:13 PM, DWLange said:

You would need two such albums, 1902-36 and 1937-.

They didn't have one for the 1860 - 1901 coins?

Yes, but I didn't mention it, because the OP didn't have any pennies that old. The 1860-1901 album is quite scarce and in high demand, as there was just a single printing in 1965. A clean copy will bring $100+ on eBay.

30 minutes ago, szugelder said:

Hey Guys - I appreciate the feedback. Wording the search correctly netted me some results. Ebay UK has options that I'm considering, would really like to find those nice bookshelf albums. 

I use Millimeter sized Dansco pages. I think most British pennies are 31mm. The problem is finding them in stock anywhere lately.

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

I use Millimeter sized Dansco pages. I think most British pennies are 31mm. The problem is finding them in stock anywhere lately.

[Well! That certainly explains the presence of the thumb print left on a 🐓 with ample original mint luster I'd acquired. Sources universally indicate their diameter as 21 mm, but they actually run higher and their embossed edges would prove problematic for a drop-in Dansco, hence the assist with an opposable thumb.]

BTW, would you, or anyone else for that matter, indicate the proper procedure for inserting highly graded coins into coin collecting coins as opposed to sarcophagi manufactured by Dansco, Whitman, et al.?

14 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[Well! That certainly explains the presence of the thumb print left on a 🐓 with ample original mint luster I'd acquired. Sources universally indicate their diameter as 21 mm, but they actually run higher and their embossed edges would prove problematic for a drop-in Dansco, hence the assist with an opposable thumb.]

BTW, would you, or anyone else for that matter, indicate the proper procedure for inserting highly graded coins into coin collecting coins as opposed to sarcophagi manufactured by Dansco, Whitman, et al.?

The pre-decimal pennies are 31mm. The ones since 1971 are 21mm. I figured that one out when I needed nickel sized tubes to store the leftover pennies from my last trip across the pond. Going again when they figure out how to beat the “VID”. They already canceled two dates for my VIP tour at Llansitrant.

On 6/23/2021 at 10:19 AM, DWLange said:

Yes, but I didn't mention it, because the OP didn't have any pennies that old.

Yes but if he starts collecting the large pennies he will eventually want to extend back into the Victoria pennies.  Good to know they did make a book for them. (I have the full set in Whitman folders, didn't know they made albums for them.  May have to consider trying to track them down.

Here's the album in question. It's variety WBB1dA1 in my book, and that stands for Whitman Bookshelf British, 1 Penny, First Title, 1st Edition:

WBB1dA1.jpg