• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slab tag titles
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I have recently purchased a 1936 Oregon Trail 50c coin MS66 and noticed this tag does not call our 'Oregon' or 'Oregon Trail' or any other reference to the coin in the holder except the date, denomination, grade and the certification number. Was this or is this common practice on NGC commemorative coin holders?

1936 Oregon.JPG

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That is simply an entry error. In all likelihood your coin does not appear among the 1936 Oregon coins in NGC's census. Instead, it's lumped in with the 1936 Walking Liberty halves.

You can get this fixed by NGC at no charge by submitting it as "mechanical error."

5 minutes ago, DWLange said:

That is simply an entry error. In all likelihood your coin does not appear among the 1936 Oregon coins in NGC's census. Instead, it's lumped in with the 1936 Walking Liberty halves.

You can get this fixed by NGC at no charge by submitting it as "mechanical error."

I was advised by another classic commemorative collector that this 'oversight' is due to the holder (slab) is an older holder and at that time the tag reflects the habit of not entering the name of the coin, rather just the denomination. The holder appears to have been started in 1997, according to the information provided at https://www.ngccoin.com/about/evolution-of-ngc-holder/

1936 Oregon.JPG

NGC Holder dated.JPG

20 minutes ago, DWLange said:

Thank you for your explanation. I am an NGC member but not a PAID subscription member. Can I still submit the coin for re-tagging and encapsulation?

• Administrator

Hello Typeset,

I will email you directly with instructions on how to ship this back to us.

Thank you,

Lisa