• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a small date 1982 d Lincoln penny?

7 posts in this topic

And if it is what is it worth? I haven’t weighed it yet, I need to get a scale... and I don’t know how to tell if it’s copper.. I mostly collect wheat pennies but I enjoy coin roll hunting so here I go! Any feedback is appreciated thank you 😊

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Blake marie
Adding tags

Welcome to the forum. Going by whether or not the tops of the digits align is not the easiest way to identify the date size on these coins. The shape of the "8" and the "2," plus the distance between the rim and the base of the "2" are the easiest ways to tell, in my opinion. 

Maybe this picture will help you identify small and large dates on these 1982 cents:

OIP.jpg

You were just shown a photo of how to tell the difference between a Large and Small date.

Please compare your coins to it and then come back if you have any questions. 
Nobody here minds helping those who are willing to learn but don’t expect us to do all the leg work for you.

The three cents listed in the subsequent picture appear to be Philadelphia mint. The small date rarity is only at the Dever mint (D mint mark). It’s not uncommon at Philadelphia.