• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 quarter
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,  just wondering how you can tell between SMS, and business strikes. I have this coin and thought it was a proof at first until I was doing some research and came across there were no proofs. But it's unlikely your going to find a SMS in the wild because there very rare. Is this just a good struck shinny business strike coin or is there something I'm missing. Thanks 

20210616_204038.jpg

20210616_204208.jpg

You can't. Even the experts who say that they can tell cannot give an explanation on how to tell. Other experts say they do not exist. In reality Special Mint Set is a misnomer as there were no sets ever made. Some experts say that the coin are merely first strikes on new dies that were kept aside.

Who is to say, Your coin may be a proof they still made Proof sets in 1964.

33 minutes ago, Moxie15 said:

You can't. Even the experts who say that they can tell cannot give an explanation on how to tell. Other experts say they do not exist. In reality Special Mint Set is a misnomer as there were no sets ever made. Some experts say that the coin are merely first strikes on new dies that were kept aside.

Here is a 1965 set .The paperwork says it is a special mint set from the San Francisco mint. 

1965 SMS.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

1964 "SMS" is/are bologna. They're merely early strikes off new circulation dies - not specially made or anything else.

Thanks everyone, I'm thinking it might just be a high graded uncirculated coin. But I could be wrong there too. Hmmm, this one got me puzzled. 

21 hours ago, Hinkle said:

I have this coin and thought it was a proof at first until I was doing some research and came across there were no proofs.

Do more research, there are LOTS of proof 1964 quarters.  They made 3,950,000 of them.

5 hours ago, RWB said:

1964 "SMS" is/are bologna. They're merely early strikes off new circulation dies - not specially made or anything else.

And they’re not even good Pennsylvania “Dutch” ring bologna or Lebanon bologna.

On 6/17/2021 at 7:39 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Who is to say, Your coin may be a proof they still made Proof sets in 1964.

Here is a 1965 set .The paperwork says it is a special mint set from the San Francisco mint. 

1965 SMS.jpg

The question was concerning so called 1964 Special Mint Set. My comment concerned 1964 coins only. 

38 minutes ago, Moxie15 said:

The question was concerning so called 1964 Special Mint Set. My comment concerned 1964 coins only. 

Sorry Moxie  I thought you meant that SMS sets did not exist at all?

On 6/17/2021 at 7:15 AM, Moxie15 said:

In reality Special Mint Set is a misnomer as there were no sets ever made.

I Should have said proof sets were available in 64 and SMS sets started in 65 to my knowledge.

9 hours ago, James Zyskowski said:

Here comes the newbie with his 2cents. (I’m trying to educate myself and ask questions or make a statement reflecting my learning). At least you have a silver quarter because the 65 on no gots silver🤓

true James, after 64 there were only 40% silver coins like Kennedy Half's and Ike Dollars and later special silver mint sets became available.