• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the most popular or valuable State Quarters?

22 posts in this topic

Quarter on left is 2001-P, & on right is 2001-D. I thought the 2001-D was interesting? I had to use magnification, microscope, and/or extra light source so pics not the best. But I have many of the Quarters from 1999-2008. There are so many it is hard to know which ones to keep? XxxOoo 😁

CM210616-115118014.jpg

CM210616-115138016.jpg

CM210616-114739005~2.jpg

IMG_20210616_125622861.jpg

CM210616-115300030.jpg

CM210616-115410063~2.jpg

CM210616-124231008.jpg

CM210616-114550001.jpg

There were hundreds of millions of each state coin produced so unless they are in high MS condition, they are only worth face value.                                               As far as popularity, it probably depends on which state you live in. I would just keep the best one of each series and spend the rest.

Your 2001D quarter is just badly damaged.

I sent in a thousand or more state quarters to NGC. Sold very many high grade quarters over the years and stayed with the state quarters for some time. I have VERY many extra doubles in NGC MS66 holders that I would let go for $5 - $10 each. I also have extra NGC MS67 and higher for $10 and up each.

Anyone interested in starting a lower cost State Quarter set just PM me and I will help you get started.

Thanks,

Rick

Edited by Six Mile Rick

On 6/16/2021 at 1:13 PM, NumisMagic said:

There are so many it is hard to know which ones to keep?

Don't keep the one on the right, the 2001 D.  Get rid of it as soon as you can.

On 6/17/2021 at 8:51 PM, Conder101 said:

Don't keep the one on the right, the 2001 D.  Get rid of it as soon as you can.

IDK. Doesn't appear to be post mint damage on closer inspection. I think I'll keep it until I can have it examined "in the flesh" by a pro. My favorite coins are the "rejects", the fugly ones 😆. I can relate. Their value may not be readily apparent on face value alone?! If not, that's ok too. But I TRY to go with my gut. I've learned the hard way that not listening to that "inner voice" is a big boo-boo 99.9% of the time. But thanks for all the responses. The consensus seems to agree with you so that tells me the chance I'm correct is slim. Maybe one of those 0.1% times my radar is scrambled. It happens! In the meantime I'm having a bit of fun and it's nice to have a space to communicate with people who know so much more than I do concerning "coins of the realm". 😁 Every comment is valuable in my book. XxxOoo

2 hours ago, Crawtomatic said:

Can I answer the 5oz silver ones?  Do those count for the question?

Ya those are goofy looking ,what will they come up with next to get our hard earned cash.

12 hours ago, NumisMagic said:

IDK. Doesn't appear to be post mint damage on closer inspection. 

What do you think happened during the minting process to cause your coin to look like that?

7 hours ago, Just Bob said:

What do you think happened during the minting process to cause your coin to look like that?

I'm not sure but I've seen many error coins that were likely passed on as such. So ... Intuition? 😆 Wing and a prayer? I'm trying to determine how to recognize a coin that may be worth the cost of grading despite obvious low grade? OR high grade. I'm on a budget but something keeps telling me to soldier on. XxxOoo Thanks for responding. 

On 6/16/2021 at 3:15 PM, Alex in PA. said:

That style of picture posting reminds me of someone we haven't heard from in a while.   :preach:

I've never been on here before. 😔😁

On 6/23/2021 at 11:57 AM, NumisMagic said:

IDK. Doesn't appear to be post mint damage on closer inspection. I think I'll keep it until I can have it examined "in the flesh" by a pro. My favorite coins are the "rejects", the fugly ones 😆. I can relate. Their value may not be readily apparent on face value alone?! If not, that's ok too. But I TRY to go with my gut. I've learned the hard way that not listening to that "inner voice" is a big boo-boo 99.9% of the time. But thanks for all the responses. The consensus seems to agree with you so that tells me the chance I'm correct is slim. Maybe one of those 0.1% times my radar is scrambled. It happens! In the meantime I'm having a bit of fun and it's nice to have a space to communicate with people who know so much more than I do concerning "coins of the realm". 😁 Every comment is valuable in my book. XxxOoo

Just an FYI.  Some of the members responding to your thread have decades of experience in numismatics.  The are extremely knowledgeable of the minting process and have demonstrated their knowledge on coin forums over the years.  They are not " some guy at the end if the bar" giving an opinion.  

Show it to a "pro" but make sure that pro is knowledgeable of errors and varieties.  Just because somebody sells coins, doesn't mean they know about errors.

I'm sorry if your gut feel says this might be something, even with the responses you were given.  As you learn the minting process, you'll easily see that this cannot occur at the mint.  It isn't from a defective planchet, it isn't die related, it isn't a collar problem, and it isn't a filled die.  

Let us know what the "Pro" says.  Wouldn't want to be wasting  time time trying to help new collectors learn if the aren't going to believe the responses, especially in cases where it's absolutely obvious they have a damaged coin

On 6/24/2021 at 6:39 AM, NumisMagic said:

I'm not sure but I've seen many error coins that were likely passed on as such. So ... Intuition? 😆 Wing and a prayer? I'm trying to determine how to recognize a coin that may be worth the cost of grading despite obvious low grade? OR high grade. I'm on a budget but something keeps telling me to soldier on. XxxOoo Thanks for responding. 

eBay has tons of ngc pcgs anacs slabbed coins all prices (amazing amount available for 10-20$)perhaps saving all those grading fees and just get a variety of slabbed coins in different grades and then you’ll have something to compare with 🤓The errors may be a little more but photo grading books around not sure about errors. 

Edited by James Zyskowski

9 hours ago, James Zyskowski said:

eBay has tons of ngc pcgs anacs slabbed coins all prices (amazing amount available for 10-20$)perhaps saving all those grading fees and just get a variety of slabbed coins in different grades and then you’ll have something to compare with 🤓The errors may be a little more but photo grading books around not sure about errors. 

I roll hunt all the time it is fun to find coins with cracks chips and strike related problems. That is why I made the Cherry Picker Post thread to ask questions and learn from the professionals here on the forum. Anything that has potential I will label and save in a file. I may never send a coin in for grading because most are to small a defect to be worth the cost but there is always a chance that someday I will post a coin the collectors here say may be a slab keeper and when that day comes I will send it out. I agree that buying a slab coin is cheaper most the time and you may get lucky like that VAM Morgan I just found the other day. It's not worth a big chunk of $ but still finding it was the most fun. Have fun with your hobby and always be honest to yourself, and others, and keep looking :preach:

On 6/23/2021 at 11:57 AM, NumisMagic said:

I've learned the hard way that not listening to that "inner voice" is a big boo-boo 99.9% of the time.

My "inner voice" has more experience than yours.  :D