• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983 D. coin

6 posts in this topic

Hi all. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions that you may be able to offer. 
Firstly it may be important to state that I am not a coin collector (rare books I am slightly knowledgeable on but not coin u unfortunately). 
That said, my daughter recently returned from a trip to the US where she was on a modeling assignment. She gave my son some coins and as has become habit, I look through all coins to see for any interesting ones and came across a coin which has Lincoln (I assume it’s Lincoln)  on one side and the other has a building (so it’s definitely a commemorative coin) and it is dated 1983 and a D. (Which I assume means Dollar?).

I thought it may be in some way valuable due to the fact that the D. As far as I know represents “dollar” yet the coin itself says one cent. 
my question therefore is, could this coin be valuable, how much might it be worth if so and where would I go to sell it if valuable in SA pref)?

FF81B574-CF91-4EA4-99C6-0F9D107C4F0A.jpeg

8E124DF2-6FE1-4CD6-B3E9-8581A6F52FEB.jpeg

D in fact is the mint mark, Denver Mint. I can't see the D on your photo, but if it's there, it does not make the coin special. Other mints are Philadelphia (formerly no mark, nowadays P, also unspecial), San Francisco (S), and West Point (W). The coin is not commemorative; the Lincoln memorial reverse was the standard Lincoln cent reverse since 1959 until very recent years. This is your equivalent of what would be, say, a 1990 RSA cent--common, in circulation, and interesting mainly because it's from abroad. I doubt it would sell for anything above its face value equivalent in rand. Sorry to disappoint.

Welcome to the forum. 

Where is the "D" that you see? The mint mark would be below the date on the obverse (front) of the coin, but there is nothing there, as far as I can tell. The reverse picture is fuzzy, so I can not see anything there, either.

29 minutes ago, JKK said:

D in fact is the mint mark, Denver Mint. I can't see the D on your photo, but if it's there, it does not make the coin special. Other mints are Philadelphia (formerly no mark, nowadays P, also unspecial), San Francisco (S), and West Point (W). The coin is not commemorative; the Lincoln memorial reverse was the standard Lincoln cent reverse since 1959 until very recent years. This is your equivalent of what would be, say, a 1990 RSA cent--common, in circulation, and interesting mainly because it's from abroad. I doubt it would sell for anything above its face value equivalent in rand. Sorry to disappoint.

Thank you for taking the time to reply nevertheless 😀Appreciated!

14 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Welcome to the forum. 

Where is the "D" that you see? The mint mark would be below the date on the obverse (front) of the coin, but there is nothing there, as far as I can tell. The reverse picture is fuzzy, so I can not see anything there, either.

Let me try get a clearer pic 

14 minutes ago, PeytonPrinsloo said:

Let me try get a clearer pic 

Appreciate the thought, but it would not matter. An 83 or 83-D just isn't special, so it would be just unnecessary effort on your part.