• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will PCGS foreign coins be accepted in NGC registered sets?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I purchased a beautiful 1859 2 Tornesi Kingdom of Naples & Sicily PCGS-registered coin yesterday. I tried to upload it to the registry and was told that NGC does not yet accept PCGS certified foreign coins for registry purposes. I will be hard pressed to find a similar NGC-certified coin. When will PCGS foreign coins be accepted to the NGC registry?

Welcome to the forum. I do not collect foreign coins, but my understanding is that PCGS does not grade them to the same standards as NGC. That being the case, they are treated the same as any other third party grading company that does not use NGC's standards, and so are not included in the competitive registry. I believe you can put them in a custom set, though.

Hopefully someone will correct me, if I am wrong.

Also welcome to the forum, @Just Bob is correct that NGC has said many times before that PCGS does not grade and attribute world coins the same as NGC thus PCGS graded world coins are not allowed in the competitive registry.   Judging from the NGC management's replies to prior requests by other members on the subject of including PCGS world coins I do not think that NGC has any plans to include PCGS world coins at any time in the foreseeable future in the non US competitive registry sets.   For now a custom registry set is your only choice for any PCGS graded world coins.

Hello SilverSummoner, you actually have 2 other options if you really want to put it in the NGC Registry: (1) try using the NGC cross-over service, or (2) crack it out and submit it to NGC.  

Personally, I no longer cross over coins (in either direction) because there is about 50% chance of paying for nothing. If I really want the coin in a particular holder I will buy it in that holder or crack it out and resubmit.  It's painful, I know, but it is an option.

7 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Welcome to the forum. I do not collect foreign coins, but my understanding is that PCGS does not grade them to the same standards as NGC. That being the case, they are treated the same as any other third party grading company that does not use NGC's standards, and so are not included in the competitive registry. I believe you can put them in a custom set, though.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, BlakeEik said:

There is a rumor (actually a bit stronger than just a rumor) that the ANA may have a registry "soon." They would presumably have a Registry that would allow both PCGS and NGC if you can wait that long.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, BlakeEik said:

Hello SilverSummoner, you actually have 2 other options if you really want to put it in the NGC Registry: (1) try using the NGC cross-over service, or (2) crack it out and submit it to NGC.  

Personally, I no longer cross over coins (in either direction) because there is about 50% chance of paying for nothing. If I really want the coin in a particular holder I will buy it in that holder or crack it out and resubmit.  It's painful, I know, but it is an option.

Thank you.

5 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Also welcome to the forum, @Just Bob is correct that NGC has said many times before that PCGS does not grade and attribute world coins the same as NGC thus PCGS graded world coins are not allowed in the competitive registry.   Judging from the NGC management's replies to prior requests by other members on the subject of including PCGS world coins I do not think that NGC has any plans to include PCGS world coins at any time in the foreseeable future in the non US competitive registry sets.   For now a custom registry set is your only choice for any PCGS graded world coins.

Thank you.

7 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Thank you.

at one time PCGS was strictly PCGS registry only , I believe they did for business purposes have people buy their graded coins and register them with them only … I guess NGC was being taken advantage of allowing PCGS coins in registry, it’s no brainer that NGC finally put a stop to that … both grading companies grade world coins even US coins at different standard … I believe your only option is a cross over to NGC … 

from my personal experience, based on successful cross-over results...80% of the time when trying to cross-over foreign pcgs coins to ngc the coins r either returned if the same grade is requested or downgraded if no grade is specified...it is obviously one of two things r occurring, either pcgs standards r sub-par to ngc standards or ngc has a bias towards pcgs grading...i believe it is the former...i personally do not submit any coins to pcgs for grading n try to not purchase any of the coins i deem essential if in pcgs holders if the coin is destined to my registry sets...if the coin is not registry material n i am only concerned about authenticity then either tpg is satisfactory...if the coin is critical to my needs n is in a pcgs holder, i then buy it n remove it from its pcgs holder n submit to ngc raw....this works for my needs with minimal submission frustration, it may or may not work for urs.....

16 hours ago, Jason Abshier said:

at one time PCGS was strictly PCGS registry only , I believe they did for business purposes have people buy their graded coins and register them with them only … I guess NGC was being taken advantage of allowing PCGS coins in registry, it’s no brainer that NGC finally put a stop to that … both grading companies grade world coins even US coins at different standard … I believe your only option is a cross over to NGC … 

Correct...............

NGC Coins in the Registry Here???

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just read a post ATS that NGC coins were going to be allowed in the PCGS registry. Does anyone know any more about this or is it just a rumor?

I may be wrong but.....................a long time ago PCGS stopped accepting NGC coins in their Registries.  Then NGC, in retaliation, quit accepting PCGS coins.  I suspect the uproar over the years brought about some changes.

Hmmm well I have been a member at PCGS since 2002 and here since 2004 and I do not recall there ever being a time that PCGS allowed NGC graded coins into the PCGS registry.   It is allowed to add non PCGS coins to your inventory in the PCGS registry system; just as it is here; but not into competitive registry sets.   I came here because I wanted to be able to start sets that would allow for both and back in 2004 NGC did allow this for US sets.  Then that feature was taken away and only NGC graded coins could be added (any PCGS coins were grandfathered in) to US sets just like the world sets; I do not remember when this was but maybe 2012 or so?    Then just within the past two or three years NGC did a reversal and once again allowed PCGS sets to be included in US sets; the prevailing opinion for this reversal had to do with NGC setting up and managing the ANA registry.

To the best of my knowledge and from the time I joined in 2002 PCGS has never allowed NGC graded coins into their competitive registry, only the inventory section of the registry.  It certainly is correct that both times NGC has changed the US NGC registry in regards to PCGS coins it has resulted in a lot of uproar from collectors on each side of the isle.

• Administrator
On 6/12/2021 at 10:03 AM, SilverSummoner said:

I purchased a beautiful 1859 2 Tornesi Kingdom of Naples & Sicily PCGS-registered coin yesterday. I tried to upload it to the registry and was told that NGC does not yet accept PCGS certified foreign coins for registry purposes. I will be hard pressed to find a similar NGC-certified coin. When will PCGS foreign coins be accepted to the NGC registry?

Hello and thanks for your interest.

Thank you for the inquiry into the NGC Registry.  The decision to remove PCGS coins from World NGC Registry sets was made by Mark Salzberg, Chairman of NGC, in early 2012, and that decision remains. 

In 2012, there was a significant expense to our company to expand the World NGC Registry to support both NGC and PCGS, and the result had been that we could not release new features that support collectors of World coins (such as integration with the World Coin Price Guide, Krause, and the Census). The different attributions and designations used by NGC and PCGS for World coins have compounded that difficulty. The goal is not to force crossovers, but NGC does maintain a significant market share advantage over PCGS.

Great question.  Another one is when will NGC start pricing their own certified world coins?  If NGC is willing to accept them for grading and collect the fees for that then they should definitely be assigning a value in the Price Guide.  It bothers me that I have NGC coins in the registry with no value.