• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And now for something different
1 1

35 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Jason Abshier said:

Were you in the military? When you say meters , my oldest son is a Marine when ever he can come home to hunt with me he takes the opportunity last year he harvested a deer he said   “Dad I shot this deer at about 100 meters” we all say “yards” although meters are longer than yards I’m just not used to hearing meters all time … I notice military people use meters more than yards to describe distance 

many of the best rifles in the world n their associated scopes or fixed sights r calibrated in metres (meters) versus yards...from personal experience almost all i have used were in metres with a few exceptions on US sniper rifles which still adhere to yards....

1 hour ago, zadok said:

many of the best rifles in the world n their associated scopes or fixed sights r calibrated in metres (meters) versus yards...from personal experience almost all i have used were in metres with a few exceptions on US sniper rifles which still adhere to yards....

Many years ago a Marine on shooting range once told me I can sight my 30/06 Remington 760 pump rifle dead on a 25 yards it will be able to shoot me out to 200 yards still on vital target of a deer … I’m not a rifleman I only own 1 deer rifle for over 35 years I’ve used Remington 760 gamemaster (30/06) with factory ammo since I’ve sighted it in at 25 yards it hold true on deer out 200 yards rarely do I shoot that far anyways most of deer are killed within 150 yards or less but I know that gun isn’t deadly accurate but for deer hunting a sloppy pump rifle does the job it ain’t no where as accurate as my son’s (.270 Remington 700 classic bolt action) ,my daughter uses a (.308 Remington 700 as well bolt action) both their gun can shoot a half dollar group at 150 yards … in Pennsylvania we call the Remington 760 pump rifles “the Amish machine gun” since we aren’t allowed to use semiautomatic rifles for big game hunting the Amish use Pump rifles a lot nice gun for fast follow up shots when it needed but again I’ve seen some guys use a bolt action that seemed faster than I can rack the pump on my rifle 

4 hours ago, Jason Abshier said:

Many years ago a Marine on shooting range once told me I can sight my 30/06 Remington 760 pump rifle dead on a 25 yards it will be able to shoot me out to 200 yards still on vital target of a deer … I’m not a rifleman I only own 1 deer rifle for over 35 years I’ve used Remington 760 gamemaster (30/06) with factory ammo since I’ve sighted it in at 25 yards it hold true on deer out 200 yards rarely do I shoot that far anyways most of deer are killed within 150 yards or less but I know that gun isn’t deadly accurate but for deer hunting a sloppy pump rifle does the job it ain’t no where as accurate as my son’s (.270 Remington 700 classic bolt action) ,my daughter uses a (.308 Remington 700 as well bolt action) both their gun can shoot a half dollar group at 150 yards … in Pennsylvania we call the Remington 760 pump rifles “the Amish machine gun” since we aren’t allowed to use semiautomatic rifles for big game hunting the Amish use Pump rifles a lot nice gun for fast follow up shots when it needed but again I’ve seen some guys use a bolt action that seemed faster than I can rack the pump on my rifle 

The trajectory of a bullet is a slight arc. Depending on many factors there will be a closer yardage that will match a yardage further away. Most people think bullets fly completely flat until they start dropping from gravity. Depending on your rifle and rounds it could be that you aight it dead at 25 yd, it’s an inch or so high at100yd, and back flat at 200yd. But ballistics is probably more complex than numismatics. Depends on a ton of factors like the load, barrel twist, bullet weight, environmental conditions, speed of travel as it leaves the barrel, etc… 

One of my far too many hobbies is long range shooting. It takes forever to work up a load for a new gun and barrel. If you see a guy with a chronograph, taking notes, etc. he is trying to work out a lot of things  Then once you have them figured out you can calculate your ballistics and effect of the round from cross winds, heat, and all the other factors  

Very long winded response to say for deer hunting that’s probably close enough to do as you were told. But precision shooting it wouldn’t just be ok to sight in at 25 and assume it’s flat out to 200  

1 hour ago, Woods020 said:

One of my far too many hobbies is long range shooting. It takes forever to work up a load for a new gun and barrel. If you see a guy with a chronograph, taking notes, etc. he is trying to work out a lot of things  Then once you have them figured out you can calculate your ballistics and effect of the round from cross winds, heat, and all the other factors  

I have a friend who into that long range bench shooting , when ever they go black bear hunting they set up long range gun (some caliber I never heard of) 2 years ago they shot a black bear at little over 900 yards , a group of hunters pushed the bear out it ran up mountain top stepped out on open powerline 900 yards away … that’s furthest they ever killed anything it was 435lbs black bear … 

last year I helped another friend move a lathe and milling machine in his garage he was starting a gunsmithing business , he showed me a couple of bench guns he made in gunsmithing school , Man ! Them things weighed a tank ! Big fat barrels with long scopes made gun weigh like it was 30lbs ! The other month I was visiting him he was turning down threads on barrel to fit a receiver in his lathe the barrel had carbon wrap around it I’ve never see that before a carbon wrapped barrel also I never knew bench guns were that heavy … I’m mostly a shotgun guy , I do a lot rabbit hunting with beagles shotgun is my primary weapon of choice in thick thick brush and brambles shooting at rabbits 

Edited by Jason Abshier

This past Winter I got into a little more air gunning. Boy, has that technology come a long way ! You can go as high as a 50 caliber, and it can have suitable velocity for big game. I have a PCP (pre-charged pneumatic), you pump up a cylinder with a hand pump to 3000 PSI. Of course you can use a compressor or scuba tank too. My rifle is good for 40 shots or so with one charge. .177 caliber and 1050 FPS velocity. It's really quiet, and, of course, ammo costs virtually nothing. One way to beat this ammo crises.