• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And now for something different
1 1

35 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, RWB said:

That's a load of azz-fault !

How'd that dime get in there?

Sometimes you have to take what your given, I'm sure I'll find a more suitable upgrade soon; or is that a downgrade.(shrug)

18 minutes ago, RWB said:

Think of the expense of having custom cut holders made. Which ANA exhibit category will this be in? That's worth a quick run to a Chicago suburb.

Then if he chooses the right Chicago suburb, which there are many, he can add a coin with a bullet hole or two. That’s deserving of a spot in the set for sure. 

That's a beautiful collection. 

I received an error coin in my change at the supermarket the other day. Of course, I tossed it out of the car window in the parking lot as I left.

I could just imagine it joining all the other errors laying in that lot.

The Jeff in the SE corner, I believe, is Extra Special and likely unique.

When's the last time anyone saw multi-colored peripheral pointillism applied in so disciplined and yet seemingly random a manner as to avoid a charge of defacing a Federal landmark?

This coin, exhibiting an unusually creative approach to mimicking PMD using ice cream sprinkles, is in a class all by itself.

Nice recovery, Coinbuf!

53 minutes ago, RWB said:

Hitting a coin with a bullet is easy. Putting clean hole through one with a bullet is difficult.

I wonder if Annie Oakley ever got a clean strike-through?:bump:  Even hitting a coin in motion is quite a feat

6 hours ago, Jason Abshier said:

If you really wanna hit your set out in the ball park don’t forget $1 Goldie and half dollar is probably the most rarest to find in the parking lot edition. 

These two will be the most difficult to find in problem free while having outstanding parking lot condition and a plethora of mint errors, the search continues.  (:

4 hours ago, numisport said:

Can your Registry Set include Details graded coins ?

I do believe that a details coin could become a part of the P-lot collection; however it will need to be a true parking lot condition coin with at least one unverifiable mint error to its credit.  :devil:

7 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

The Jeff in the SE corner, I believe, is Extra Special and likely unique.

When's the last time anyone saw multi-colored peripheral pointillism applied in so disciplined and yet seemingly random a manner as to avoid a charge of defacing a Federal landmark?

This coin, exhibiting an unusually creative approach to mimicking PMD using ice cream sprinkles, is in a class all by itself.

Nice recovery, Coinbuf!

That nickel looks more like a character from The Walking Dead than Jefferson. 

On 6/10/2021 at 10:36 PM, Coinbuf said:

Well I don't think the set will be ready for display that soon, however the chance to obtain a bullet holed coin for the set is a powerful motivator.  :devil:

Chicago again in 2022, then the War Zone formerly known as Pittsburgh in 2023. 

On 6/11/2021 at 2:43 PM, Coinbuf said:

I do believe that a details coin could become a part of the P-lot collection; however it will need to be a true parking lot condition coin with at least one unverifiable mint error to its credit.  :devil:

An exhibit of road rash once won a top award at an ANA show. 

On 6/11/2021 at 1:01 PM, RWB said:

Hitting a coin with a bullet is easy. Putting clean hole through one with a bullet is difficult.

Finding the coin after you hit it with a bullet is more than just 'difficult'.

On 6/11/2021 at 2:00 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I wonder if Annie Oakley ever got a clean strike-through?

No!  Never!  Not once!  The old time 'Trick Shooters' - Oakley, Cody and whom ever you want to call up never put a hole in a coin tossed in the air.  Though they hit it every time.  Cain you figure out how they did it?  Hint:  Has something to do with birds.

22 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

I got some dandys I can sell you that would go real good in that collection. Even got some that's been shined up really nice. 

Lemme guess... they were all mounted and a well-oiled Gatling gun was used.  xD

19 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Gatling gun was used. 

Wrong.  The Gatling would never come close to hitting the coin.   In the days of Cody and Oakley they would open the cartridge, dump half the black powder put and then fill the cartridge with very fine BBs known as, you guessed it, Bird Shot.  Disregard the stories you hear about guys like Wild Bill.  Hickok only made one truly amazing show, across a town square of about 50 yards, to hit Dave Hutt in the heart.  Hickok fired with his converted 36 Navy Colt resting over his forearm.  No quick draw or single hand for him.  I have been known to hit a Kennedy Half Dollar at 50 yards, off hand, with a Thompson Center Hawken .50 Cal single shot Black Powder rifle.  I challenged a guy who had a multi shot .22 Caliber rifle with a scope.  He hit 0 for 5 while I hit 5 for 5.  How did that happen?  Hint:  Technology.

12 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

I have been known to hit a Kennedy Half Dollar at 50 yards, off hand, with a Thompson Center Hawken .50 Cal single shot

Ever shoot golf balls with a shotgun ? I used bring few golf balls with me toss them out in front of the barrel hold gun up to my shoulder one handed while other hand tossed ball out in front of gun if you hit it right that ball will fly like 400-500 yards like a rocket . I didn’t hit every golf ball but I hit most of them I learn that trick from Tom Knapp shotgunning trick shooter … Right now ammo too precious and hard to come by and too expensive you won’t find me goofing off and shooting golf balls this year. I mostly shoot oddball gauges like 16GA and 28GA ammo real PITA to find for those 2 gauges even online everywhere is sold out ! Back order ! All stores are stripped cleaned no ammo , private sellers want like $20 a box for basic shotgun ammo . I hope the ammo craze ends sooner return back to normal 

12 hours ago, RWB said:

Used to line up silver dollars as targets at about 25 meters

Were you in the military? When you say meters , my oldest son is a Marine when ever he can come home to hunt with me he takes the opportunity last year he harvested a deer he said   “Dad I shot this deer at about 100 meters” we all say “yards” although meters are longer than yards I’m just not used to hearing meters all time … I notice military people use meters more than yards to describe distance 

Edited by Jason Abshier