1834 bust cap half dime LM3
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Any way you can post some clearer pics? I have some concerns, but want to withhold comments until it’s clearer. This year did have some serious die clashes in and around the face area. That part isn’t surprising. 

2 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I don't think it is real.

I agree.  I'm no expert, and would never claim to be, but there is something about the Obverse that looks off to me.  I do hope I am wrong and good luck with it.

I am also in the not real camp, especially the reverse.  Note the bubbles under the right wing, and the overall field roughness.  Spark erosion maybe? 

Both side are fake, and there's no "mint mark." The edge probably says "Free egg roll 'till 6pm"

A real coin was not "put back in the press again" intentionally.

Please buy a copy of the Guide Book of United States Coins and study the photos and descriptions. Go to auction sites and look for the same coin by date and variety. Ask members here for specialty site suggestions, etc.

Edited by RWB

2 hours ago, RWB said:

Both side are fake, and there's no "mint mark." The edge probably says "Free egg roll 'till 6pm"

I love you guys. You tell it like it is. That is the truth.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It looks real---just clashed and severely eroded dies. The only negative is for cleaning.

Capped Bust Half Dimes are attributed by die states, such as LM-4.1, LM-4.2, etc. This is clearly one of the later states, though it would not have been unusual for the mint to then polish the dies to remove the erosion lines, resulting in a die state that could generate a PL designation in the grading process.

4 hours ago, RWB said:

A real coin was not "put back in the press again" intentionally.

Please buy a copy of the Guide Book of United States Coins and study the photos and descriptions. Go to auction sites and look for the same coin by date and variety. Ask members here for specialty site suggestions, etc.

Well, Mr. Lange says I'm wrong, so I'll have to defer to his greater expertise.

Hopefully some pictures with a little better focus will be posted. At a minimum it’s been cleaned. And I sure won’t argue with Mr. Lange. But it’s worth a better look. It has some question marks but the pictures are just out of focus enough to not be able to blow it up very well. 

Posted (edited)

Here's some more, thanks again, also I know there's like a bunch only 3 pics break the 200kb, thanks again :)

Edited by SlickCoins

This one I think you will need to send to NGC for certification. Mr. Lange feels it is real and that’s what really matters I guess, but I would personally say this coin is fake and pass on it every time. 

Posted (edited)

Yes I can, the weight is 1.33 grams, thou it ranges to 1.34 and won't stay, I bet it is cause a cheap scale

Edited by SlickCoins

Posted (edited)

Also the coin guy here in Denver said yes those are Engravers and recycled dyes he said, I mean when I took it to him and yes he said it looks lightly cleaned, well and we know how it went on the story and he was busy

Edited by SlickCoins

Posted (edited)

I'm new here and first thing I think when I hear cleaned is that it's worthless, for sure only time will tell us :) thanks all,

PS look all free egg roll lmao

P_20210612_073529_1.jpg

P_20210612_073542_1.jpg

Edited by SlickCoins

On 6/10/2021 at 3:19 PM, DWLange said:

It looks real---just clashed and severely eroded dies. The only negative is for cleaning.

Capped Bust Half Dimes are attributed by die states, such as LM-4.1, LM-4.2, etc. This is clearly one of the later states, though it would not have been unusual for the mint to then polish the dies to remove the erosion lines, resulting in a die state that could generate a PL designation in the grading process.

It looks genuine and cleaned to me, as well.

Posted (edited)

So now that you all have approved this LM3, woot awesome.

Now it's my turn to show you all where my approval is, I mean the master Engravers marks.

Also I totally understand if you all don't see them. {To the left of the 5 to the right of the c, under birds left wing same lion with 3 lines as on the one quarter 1955 D}{top pocket left wing, same as right as with both bottom pocket inside leaf/left and right being above the foot.}

Thanks all

Edited by SlickCoins