1793 Wreath 1C Vine and Bars Edge, Special Strike SP?'s

76 posts in this topic

What is it you are saying can’t be matched? The devices that look rough from spark erosion counterfeiting most likely? No the mint won’t match that for sure. 

Posted (edited)

Rim shots, cause I didn't know what raised was and didn't ask.

I should've said, then show me the copy of this design for even a rookie like me knows they have a template or a drawing to try and match, for I can't find it.

Edited by SlickCoins

13 minutes ago, SlickCoins said:

Well I don't like that angle so I've just got one more question and thanks ahead of time, do they in turn I mean the counterfeiters scratch the planchets before using them to make them look more real, I mean then it would show a scratch under a letter, is that what this copper stuff is, I didn't want to call it wrong, I mean that spark erosion

20210611_16_51_57.png

20210611_16_51_29.png

The “scratches” are raised aren’t they? That would indicate they are breaks or scratches in the die or part of a casting process perhaps. Scratches on the planchet would be incuse. 

I assume you also see the extra blobs of metal around the D in your picture? That actually probably points to a cast. You wouldn’t see that if it was struck. 

Given how rough it is and all the other items it may be a sand cast. And not a very good one. 

27 minutes ago, SlickCoins said:

You are the man in this area, this coin was sold as a Reproduction so I'm not at a loss, just had questions and I can't find any Reproduction with this detail on, the ones don't even match :) I know this is fake just saying, I've been looking for 2+months

20210611_16_45_37.png

Not even a semi pro. I’m bush league. But determined to get better at identifying  real vs fake proficiently 

Edited by Woods020

If you are really curious, one of the best resources with real time examples is an ANA video. It’s not short but it’s good. 

9 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

What happened to all the pretty pictures ?

He did this same thing last time. Lots of questions and crazy pictures then deletes everything he says. It’s interesting to say the least. 

54 minutes ago, SlickCoins said:

Here's the other angle

20210613_06_33_11.png

20210613_06_32_38.png

20210613_06_31_40.png

20210613_06_31_37.png

20210613_06_32_05.png

20210613_06_32_01.png

What are you asking about? The consensus thus far has been this is a recent counterfeit. I speculated on the method of production, but I don’t think anyone will change an opinion on authenticity. 

By removing the photos/comments, you also removed the very, very slight chance that anyone would take you seriously. The "thing" was, and remains a counterfeit coin - subject to seizure without notice.

2 hours ago, SlickCoins said:

Yes that's why I'm sending it to pcgs for one or the other, proven legit or counterfeit

Why would you waste your money when everyone here told you the coin is a counterfeit?

1 hour ago, Grant Gerlinger said:

Why would you waste your money when everyone here told you the coin is a counterfeit?

Actually, I can go along with this. I'm always the one telling people that they don't even believe their own insistences, or they would just send the coins in for grading and ignore all us fogeys telling them it's fake/not an error/etc. Since nearly none of them actually follow through and send their coins in, I know I'm right in nearly every such case. Here, at least, someone has put up or shut up. It'll come back fake, and I won't feel sorry, but at least he really believed what he was saying--enough to plunk down his money to find out.

3 hours ago, SlickCoins said:

I'm always willing to work things out :) if you all take me serious like I take you serious

Nope, you ask too much here. People who think pieces like this might be real have obviously never even seen a real one. And I can’t take anyone like that serious, or even seriousLY. Sorry, it’s not you in particular, it’s ANYONE similarly situated. 

4 minutes ago, SlickCoins said:

;) hmmm 9.44 grams vs Reproductions that weigh 11.50

And what range do real ones fall in? That’s the more relevant question. 

Edited by VKurtB

Posted (edited)

13.48 is what they are supposed to weigh, I think I remember 14.00 to 12.96 is the acceptable range, (#'s have been corrected)

Thanks all

Edited by SlickCoins