• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Registry - What new features would you like to see added?
3 3

57 posts in this topic

On 7/16/2021 at 1:50 PM, Coinbuf said:

it would be nice if the registry team could find a way to verify the validity of the sets in the registry

Yeah, it would be nice...  But I cannot think of any feasible way of doing this without creating bigger messes.  There are thousands of sets from users all over the world and to put the onus on NGC to police its users would make the effort too costly for the return.  I do like the idea of the ability to "challenge" a set when something looks suspicious, where someone can ask NGC to poke the owner and make sure they are still active and in possession of their coins. But how long to wait, what kind of response is considered "valid", what are unacceptable circumstances, and those types of things can only be handled subjectively.

For the major awards, I think NGC does vet sets by monitoring the activity and reputation of the winners. If someone is caught "cheating" then they just blew it big time (one would hope)!

I know I already asked for a lot, but I want to comment on one of the frustrations I find with the registry: finding sets that are worth looking at.

One of the highlights of the major awards is being provided a list of sets that NGC has already reviewed and selected for being exceptional.  Sure, there are some indicators, like # of coins with photos, comments, and views, but it is frustrating to look and find only stock photos, or an apostrophe for a comment, or a top ranked set with nothing to look at. Sometimes the most interesting sets are not even in the top 10 of ranked sets.

So, one idea I had: style points. Let users give other sets a token of admiration for their set's comments and photos by clicking a "like" button, or whatever you want to call it, and have sets sortable by the overall results.  After a while, sets that are exceptional would be recognized by the community itself, and make it easy for others to find the sets that are noteworthy.

Here is an easy suggestion…

For 'My Competitive Sets', when someone looks at mine there is a "story" to be told when the combined photos, one for each Competitive Set, are seen.  I've worked the "story" to tell its "tale" best when the Competitive Sets are presented using the Points (high to low) sort. (the "clicker" on the upper right of the page)

However, every time I visit My Competitive Sets page, the order of My Competitive Sets has reverted to the Default Sort again.

Can NGC make the My Competitive Sets page "sort feature" default to a sets-display-order that the owner of the sets chooses, with the ability for the owner to "Save" that set-display-order so that everyone sees the sets (when visiting) in the Saved order?

And of course, a visitor could then "click" the sort box to choose some other sort option, i.e. Recently Updated.

On 7/22/2021 at 7:34 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Here is an easy suggestion…

For 'My Competitive Sets', when someone looks at mine there is a "story" to be told when the combined photos, one for each Competitive Set, are seen.  I've worked the "story" to tell its "tale" best when the Competitive Sets are presented using the Points (high to low) sort. (the "clicker" on the upper right of the page)

However, every time I visit My Competitive Sets page, the order of My Competitive Sets has reverted to the Default Sort again.

Can NGC make the My Competitive Sets page "sort feature" default to a sets-display-order that the owner of the sets chooses, with the ability for the owner to "Save" that set-display-order so that everyone sees the sets (when visiting) in the Saved order?

And of course, a visitor could then "click" the sort box to choose some other sort option, i.e. Recently Updated.

That would be great, I support this request.

At least, if this is not doable (which is unlikely),  consider adding sort option "by ranking" - at the moment there is no convenient way how to look at your sets, current options are not very helpful (IMO)

On 7/22/2021 at 2:34 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

I believe this is exactly how a custom set works, right?

So why not just do both? (shrug)

Edited by BlakeEik

On 6/9/2021 at 1:26 PM, M.T. said:

Finally (unless there are any legal issues which I am not aware of) I would suggest to allow members to choose (= give permission) if they can be contacted or not by other participants in the Registry via email and facilitate this function

So, this may be one of the things we had in the CS system that didn't carry over but I thought we could always send each other emails through the site. I've had people message me through the CS site many times over the years.

On 7/23/2021 at 8:04 AM, BlakeEik said:

I believe this is exactly how a custom set works, right?

So why not just do both? (shrug)

I'm done, already.  Do both?  I'd have to see what the differences are, other than no Points.

The reason why I added the extra Mint Sets Complete, 7 of them, was to be able to add 7 more photos, and they've made my Total Collector points now reflect more accurately what my Type Set Points should have been.  I'm not too much of a coin collector, I'm more of a mystery box creator, and rare coins were an ideal way of getting the most value into as small a place as possible.  Couldn't go with gold bullion, like small bars, because their weight would damage a puzzle box with repeated openings.  And I like the History associated with rare US gold coins.  You feel like you have a piece of history.

If I can't get NGC to change the Default Sort, I can fool around trying to get the Default Sort to Display the way I want it to.  But, there seems to be zero logic to it.  It is always the same, but I can find no pattern to why it presents the sets the way it does.

Finally figured out the Default Sort, which I don't like, as detailed 5 posts up.

It appears that the hierarchy of the Default Sort is Date Sets first, and then Type Sets second.

Within these two "categories" the Default Sort alphabetizes the order of the Sets by the name descriptions NGC uses for the Sets.

So, NGC Registry participants are "hung out to dry" by this imposed imposition, by having no say in how their Sets are "defaultly" presented.

Not a fan of the Default Sort in its current manner.  It's not mannerly, at all.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but it would be nice to have an option to sort registry sets by the most recently updated, if this is already available and I missed it then disregard. 

This is more of a convenience thing but if you click on a member's profile in the forum it would be nice if you could go to or see a list of their public sets. Put it at the bottom of the list. (thumbsu 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
More Info

Oh, I thought of another one.  It has to do with the running threads for requesting new registry sets and the thread for requesting new registry slots.

If you ask for a new registry slot in the thread for requesting a new registry set, you get a 7 day timeout.  And vice versa.  If you request a new registry set in the thread for requesting new registry slots, adios muchaco for 7 days.   

Second offense, you request is automatically denied.

Third offense, you need to forfeit your coins.

I am kidding of course, bit it astounds me how many folks screw this up.  rantrant  

On 6/8/2021 at 9:18 AM, Ali E. said:

Our team is working hard on developing new features for the NGC Registry that you, our treasured collectors, would enjoy. What is on your wish list? Please let us know below!

Arrow GIF

Export to CSV with configurable column selection. It's great to have a coin list but if it can't be exported it's of no use outside NGC website:-(

• Administrator

Hello, Paul.

Thanks for your interest. You may run a report, export it, and save it to your own device/computer. It then may be edited with your own Spreadsheet software.

Although not part of the Registry Feature request - something that would be nice to have is a more detailed invoicing system to the site.

Currently the invoicing is general & broad, most of us are very detailed oriented with records and transactions, and currently this system of invoicing is vague at best.

Credits/Debits to my account and fee changes appear often with every submission and I always left scratching my head to what happened. 

e.g., current account status, balance, fee changes +/-, credits for renewing, etc. Recently I received a credit to my submission, and I have no idea why.

Thank you

After my short Registry experience here are a few notable wishes:

- Ability to contact other Registry members. I prefer to be contacted and contact people with mutual Numismatic interests.

- New Award for the best type set.
- Better Onboarding experience for new users. It was a bid hard to get started with my set and then add coins to it. Maybe instead of forum requests to create new sets/slots can be moved to individual coin view?

- Ability to filter Best Collectors rating by Country and/or set category. This is due to: I am not really interested in people who collect coins from all over or modern stuff. But I am interested in people who collect coins from same country and era.

- My understanding of the point system is almost nonexistent, but it seems like people who are collecting types of coins that are easy to find and people who collecting coins with NGC population - 1-2 specimens, should not be rated on the same scale. Collectors who own dozens of coins (valued thousands each) are much more interested to me than collectors who managed to assemble set of US state quarters. Rating systems are there to differentiate beginners and average hobbyists from the top. So, I guess it would be nice if number of graded coins (population) would affect numbers of points particular coin add to the collection. Higher the population = more common coin is = less points for the collection.

Edited by SilverStag

Concerning Custom Sets...

Note: Custom Sets are not yet available in the new NGC Registry

The "old" Registry doesn't have nearly the presentation appeal as the new Registry, so very much looking forward to Custom Sets eventual availability in the new NGC Registry.

On 12/1/2021 at 9:00 AM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

The "old" Registry doesn't have nearly the presentation appeal as the new Registry, so very much looking forward to Custom Sets eventual availability in the new NGC Registry.

Same. There are a couple of sets I've thought about trying to make but that system just makes the whole prospect of it seem miserable. The Custom set set-up on NGC isn't even the same as the one I've managed to teach myself and get used to on the PMG side, which makes it just that much more jarring and frustrating.

On 9/7/2021 at 11:01 AM, Ali E. said:

Hello, Paul.

Thanks for your interest. You may run a report, export it, and save it to your own device/computer. It then may be edited with your own Spreadsheet software.

Hello, I'm interested in using this feature but the instruction graphic is no longer showing in the post.

• Administrator
On 1/8/2024 at 8:53 AM, gbandy84 said:

Hello, I'm interested in using this feature but the instruction graphic is no longer showing in the post.

Hello.

We will send an email to you. Thank you.