• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to sell 200 to 300 graded coins

6 posts in this topic

Like subject says: I have 200 to 300 NGC graded coins. Where can I find current bid prices? How is the best way to put them up for sale. Thanks all...

Jdude,

Welcome to the forum. You can go about this in a myriad of ways. I’m assuming given the question you aren’t very experienced with buying and selling and that’s ok. Here are a few thoughts and options. 

1. You can carry your coins to a local dealer or dealers in your area. They can tell you what most are worth and make you an offer. Go to a couple and see where the best offer is. 

2. You can buy a red book, and price the coins. Just remember that you are looking at realistically 50%-80% of book price when selling. 

3. The best option is to look at sold prices on eBay and auction houses to see what the coins are actually selling for. But with little experience and the number of coins this would be a large task. 

4. You can post them in a spreadsheet on here and some of us are happy to help and may make an offer you on some of them. 

Welcome to the forum, can you tell us how you came into possession of so many coins as it seems that you know very little about them.

There are a few ways that you can go about this, first you can spend lots of time trying to figure out an appropriate retail price using the available price guides, Ebay sold listings (not the current ask prices as those can be very misleading), and prior auction selling prices.   By combining all those for each coin you will arrive at semi reasonable estimate, I say semi reasonable as there are many factors (like color or other special coin attributes) that can change the desirability and marketability of the coins you have.   Then you take good clear photos of both sides of each coin and list them all on a site like Ebay or on the Marketplace section of coin forums like here.   Then when any of the coins sell you box and ship after you receive payment X the 2 to 3 hundred coins you have.

The second way is the far easier route, you can contact the major auction houses (Great Collections, Heritage, and Stacks) with a list of what you have to sell.   They can provide you with the costs to you for the use of their services as well as other information like how long to get paid after an auction has ended etc...    Then you box everything up and send it all; with the proper insurance to protect yourself; to the auction house that you choose.   They will do all the imaging, take care of all the auction listing, payment processing and mailing of the 2 to 3 hundred coins you have.

The third option is to take all the coins into a local dealer and ask him if he is interested in buying the entire lot.   He will go thru the coins figure out what he is willing to pay; keeping in mind that he then needs to mark up the coins in order to make a profit reselling them; if you are ok with his offer you get paid and off you go.

The first option will be the most time consuming but may net you the most money for the coins you want to sell.   The second option will most likely net you the second most amount of money for the coins but it will take some time for the process to work itself thru and you to receive the monies from the auction house.   The third option will almost certainly net you the least amount of money for the coins but its very quick. 

Before you auction them or other means I would love to see a list. I may buy all or some of them depending on what they are. 

Save yourself a huge headache and send them to great collections. They have the lowest fees and the prices realized there very good, I say this even if they are 20 dollar coins or 2,000 dollar coins. If you are asking here I can almost guarantee great collections is your best bet. Good luck with your sale!