• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just to share a nice photo of a toned Jefferson nickel
3 3

28 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, lehigh96 said:

You know what is better than a toned 1941-D Jefferson Nickel MS67 FS, that's right, two 1941-D Jefferson Nickels MS67 5FS.

f5ZGZFq.jpg

All hail “The King”

Both Jefferson Nickels. Both with the same date. Both with the same Denver mint mark. Both with Full Steps...

Three questions: 

Both graded identically by two different TPGS? 

A PCGS Certification Number exceeding 90 million! Since when? Where are all the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's?

And finally, if not "wear," would anyone who hasn't commented (precluding the possibility of contradiction or "axe to grind") care to explain precisely when "wear" becomes "weak strike," or vice versa? 

[For the purposes of this impertinent informational interrogatory, let's all pretend Q.A. is an honorary member of the "Show Me" state.

Go ahead, I'm all ears.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Clarifications

On 6/19/2021 at 7:16 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Both Jefferson Nickels. Both with the same date. Both with the same Denver mint mark. Both with Full Steps...

Three questions: 

Both graded identically by two different TPGS? 

A PCGS Certification Number exceeding 90 million! Since when? Where are all the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's?

And finally, if not "wear," would anyone who hasn't commented (precluding the possibility of contradiction or "axe to grind") care to explain precisely when "wear" becomes "weak strike," or vice versa? 

[For the purposes of this impertinent informational interrogatory, let's all pretend Q.A. is an honorary member of the "Show Me" state.

Go ahead, I'm all ears.

The 1941-D is the quintessential type coin for the series.  It is extremely common in MS67, Full Steps, and with attractive toning.  The current population reports are: 

NGC MS67 5FS:  104/9 with 2 star designations

NGC MS67 6FS:  99/2 with 4 star designations

PCGS MS67FS:  290/6 with 46 + designations

I don't understand your second question, and your third question is irrelevant to this thread since neither coin has any wear or weak strike.

@lehigh96 I do not ever recall seeing any encapsulated coin from PCGS with such a high certification number:  90+ million.  My 🐓🐓🐓 all bear #'s in the 37 million range from only two years ago. They are only up to 43 million or so.

Can you, or anyone else for that matter, tell me when the PCGS coin was certified?

36 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

@lehigh96 I do not ever recall seeing any encapsulated coin from PCGS with such a high certification number:  90+ million.  My 🐓🐓🐓 all bear #'s in the 37 million range from only two years ago. They are only up to 43 million or so.

Can you, or anyone else for that matter, tell me when the PCGS coin was certified?

Peculiar perhaps but in PCGS Coinfacts there's quite a few with cert numbers in the 80 million range for this year/mintmark.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1941-d-5c-fs/images/84011

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

No body but the person that submitted the coin can tell you exactly when a coin was certified.   However this generation of PCGS slab (gen 4.1) was used in early 2002 to late 2004.   PCGS does not use cert numbers numerically.

9 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

PCGS does not use cert numbers numerically.

I never knew that. I appreciate your reply.

Very nice coins everyone!!!!!! Love those Jeffersons. I've been doing the same thing @Coinbuf. I been taking pics of the whole slab in case I get robbed or something. Getting pics where I can see the serial numbers on the slabs. I been keeping mine locked up in a fire proof safe. I got it heavily bolted to the floor and wall both in my house. The crooks would have to work to get them. They better bring help to load up that safe. Took me and 4 friends a pretty good while to waller the thing in the house and in place. 

9 hours ago, Weidel Legacy Collection said:

Ultra Proof Cam proof Jeff's life this in blue/purple just set my heart a-flutter :)  Trust me, the images don't do these justice!

1962ProofJeffersonNickelObverse.thumb.JPG.4c69ff05db51c3dd9aba9ce9df7c54b4.JPG

1962ProofJeffersonNickelReverse.JPG

Woah. :cool: