• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New addition from Sudbury mint. Any info

23 posts in this topic

A really ugly medal. You can get something similar with an authentic 1964 half from novelty vendors.

1 hour ago, RWB said:

A really ugly medal. You can get something similar with an authentic 1964 half from novelty vendors.

Thanks this kind of friendly and encouraging response was just what I was hoping for as a newbie!  It’s warm welcoming manner sure does make a fella feel ok with asking a newbie question 

RE: "Please post any feedback history opinions."

It's an honest opinion, and a gentle advisory, about something that will have no lasting value. Find a 1964 Kennedy half and compare it to the ugly imitation in the photo. Certainly if the Sudbury Kennedy medal is to your liking, buy it and keep it. There is no historical connection between JFK and Sudbury, Ontario or nickel mining. Most of that area's background relates to International Nickel Co. (INCO) and Canadian coinage, plus the company's efforts to produce a viable substitute for US silver coinage in 1964-65. (See Private Pattern and Related Pieces: International Nickel & Gould Incorporated for information.)

If you want to learn about coin collecting, everyone here will willingly help you. And an important part of the hobby is acquiring coins, medals and other items that appeal to you - but it's also good if they will retain much of their purchase price for future sale or trade with other collectors. There are thousands of merchant tokens, state sales tax tokens, small medals and other collectible items that, although not artistically attractive, have history behind them. There are lots of ugly coins, too ---. Collectors enjoy these things in part because they are a connection to the past - events, people, occupations, etc. If you have a connection to Sudbury, there are quite a few medals produced by INCO that are interesting and inexpensive. Here's one of them:

image.thumb.jpeg.ea2bdd33b8c0ac92058589c777ed516d.jpeg

Thank you that was very nice and what I needed and was hoping for. Apparently I have opened a lovely can of knowledge. A giant nickel!  Please not trying to be a whiner but questions can be tricky to word. It was suggested to me that maybe the elders here are held in such high regard by us newbies that we maybe aren’t giving you a break....Sorry. It’s kinda understandable because we read long before we post so we usually know who’s knowledgeable and build a little following. Others jump in but don’t take long to get a feeling 

3E3E687B-55F5-4D3E-81D5-7E6A3691C4B6.png

Not even a medal.  More of EBay's dime store junk.  Money out the window.    :popcorn:

Edited by Alex in PA.
Add information

It appears to be made by a private mint similar to the Franklin Mint or Sunshine Mint.  There isn't a lot of collector interest in many private mint medals/Medallions/tokens because they aren't official issues.  If you like it, then that's great, however, just be aware that the secondary market is almost non-existent if it's not gold or silver.  The research you posted sounds like somebody trying to hype it to sell on a web site.  No info on the mint, who commissioned it, composition, etc

Its ok James , Don't be discouraged the guys are just trying to put you on the right track . If I had  a place like this to get help from years ago I never would have saved the stuff I have today that is only worth face value.

The nickel deposits around Sudbury, Ontario eventually replaced the nickel mines near the hamlet of Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania (go figure) in eastern Lancaster County, owned by Joseph Wharton, namesake of the famous Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania, in West Philly, as the primary source of nickel for pure nickel and cupronickel coins.

You may remember Nickel Mines, PA as the site of a horrendous Amish School shooting some years ago. You can still find the mine today and pick up rocks heavy in nickel ore.

Edited by VKurtB

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania,

And now for the exciting news from Pennsylvania:  You see what happened when VKurtB moved away.  The place turned into the jungle.  doh!

SUSQUEHANNA RIVER, Pa. | A surprising swimmer was found in the Susquehanna River on Friday by local residents.

A photographer at WGAL spotted an alligator, in the Susquehanna River near Wrightsville, York County.

What would seemingly appear frightening, ended in a surprising way however. The gator is a pet named Oscar, and he escaped from his home yesterday, sources say.

26 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

And now for the exciting news from Pennsylvania:  You see what happened when VKurtB moved away.  The place turned into the jungle.  doh!

SUSQUEHANNA RIVER, Pa. | A surprising swimmer was found in the Susquehanna River on Friday by local residents.

A photographer at WGAL spotted an alligator, in the Susquehanna River near Wrightsville, York County.

What would seemingly appear frightening, ended in a surprising way however. The gator is a pet named Oscar, and he escaped from his home yesterday, sources say.

I thought he was what PA got in trade for the former Secretary of Health. 

14 hours ago, James Zyskowski said:

Thanks again I’m enjoying this lesson and ouch it’s not as bad as all that. Anyway swinging in a new direction didn’t have a gator but we do have this 

0A88DC08-42A2-4A0D-AF19-A3524D98F75B.jpeg

I like those. Those are collectable to alot of people. They have several different animals on them. Check out the one with the funnel weaver spider on it. It's a very cool piece of silver. 

On 6/2/2021 at 12:23 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Still researching found this 

FDED39C9-2078-4427-BCA4-111795FD2071.png

Well here it is. In hand just about flawless and I absolutely adore it. I am aware of lessons learned and glad it wasn’t very expensive. Solid bronze. I will maybe ask a little more before we buy🤓

25BE13FA-64E0-4B93-B390-D7E30976D027.jpeg

995C2698-C1C6-4241-8CC7-6CC63C7AC47C.jpeg

On 6/5/2021 at 9:44 AM, James Zyskowski said:

I hope this is a sign I’m beginning to get on the right page🤓. Was thinking about this one also added it about the same time last year 

E7D2155A-1EB7-4E4C-BEE4-5FA8CDECC861.jpeg

I love that coin. I'm eventually gonna start collecting a few of those.  That same series. It gonna be a while tho. I'm determined to get this Washington set completed. Main priority. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 6/4/2021 at 6:35 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Thanks again I’m enjoying this lesson and ouch it’s not as bad as all that. Anyway swinging in a new direction didn’t have a gator but we do have this 

0A88DC08-42A2-4A0D-AF19-A3524D98F75B.jpeg

If you’re interested in collecting silver bullion coins take a look at the Germania Mint , they started doing a series of coins few years ago . So far I collected all the Germania series BU and for Allegories series I collected all of BU and 2 proofs which were 1000 mintage only I had to order my proofs from a dealer in Germany they were real hard to find in US , however the BU 1oz issues are nice and easier to find in the US they have mintage 25,000 coins but they are becoming hot property a lot bidding going on for them … At the end of this year I’ll be sending mine in for grading at NGC , I’m still waiting on 2 more Germania mint coins to come in 1 proof and 1 BU both came from German dealer … They got some cool stuff they are making with low mintages like I said the proofs are very hard to find . But some of BU Germania silver rounds can be found on eBay here and there 

https://germaniamint.com

583C1EB2-781E-4279-B960-C61ED8BEA516.jpeg

51247B62-1100-4105-9E64-4E2225DB2399.jpeg

6 hours ago, Jason Abshier said:

If you’re interested in collecting silver bullion coins take a look at the Germania Mint , they started doing a series of coins few years ago . So far I collected all the Germania series BU and for Allegories series I collected all of BU and 2 proofs which were 1000 mintage only I had to order my proofs from a dealer in Germany they were real hard to find in US , however the BU 1oz issues are nice and easier to find in the US they have mintage 25,000 coins but they are becoming hot property a lot bidding going on for them … At the end of this year I’ll be sending mine in for grading at NGC , I’m still waiting on 2 more Germania mint coins to come in 1 proof and 1 BU both came from German dealer … They got some cool stuff they are making with low mintages like I said the proofs are very hard to find . But some of BU Germania silver rounds can be found on eBay here and there 

https://germaniamint.com

583C1EB2-781E-4279-B960-C61ED8BEA516.jpeg

51247B62-1100-4105-9E64-4E2225DB2399.jpeg

I prefer the normal cameo look on the obverse, but I really like the way the enhanced reverse proof finish brings out the detail on the reverse shield. 

I myself like the reverse of coin as well . I’m desperately waiting for 2021 knights of the past coin to be released sure looks cool ! How much detail can you ask for on a coin ? Doesn’t get any better than this !

F75D9210-C6D5-4A9A-A655-C1B25A913E80.png

FEA0E1F4-4A1E-4F6D-8131-F7483C3594CD.png

1E86D730-D32A-441D-A1D2-20DD0197912F.png

A58833B1-965D-4ADE-BB7E-71818573F62A.png