• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fake Krugerrand?

14 posts in this topic

I purchased a 2017 Silver Krugerrand. It meets all of the tests that I can do on it.  The ice. The magnet slide, The weight, and size.  The specific gravity.   It looks perfect...but it does NOT have the tiny word "Krugerrand" etched into the mountain, or hills below the Springbok's back leg. Do the 2017 Krugerrands ALL have this word etched into them. I know NOTHING about coins. It's the first one that I have ever bought. I wanted to start with something notable. What's the verdict? Is it bogus? Thank you for your help. 

Not saying you're not correct but I have never seen or heard that that the word Krugerrand was hidden in the design. The one thing that the 2017 issue has that the others don't is the 50th Anniversary Privy. It's possible that someone (China) went to the trouble of producing a fake silver Krugerrand, if you could post some pics of the coin front and back we could take a look at it. Do you have a link to an article or site that shows or describes the placement of the word Krugerrand in the mountain?

11 hours ago, WaukeganJoe said: I know NOTHING about coins.

And STILL people have a need to dabble. /smh

13 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Not saying you're not correct but I have never seen or heard that that the word Krugerrand was hidden in the design. The one thing that the 2017 issue has that the others don't is the 50th Anniversary Privy. It's possible that someone (China) went to the trouble of producing a fake silver Krugerrand, if you could post some pics of the coin front and back we could take a look at it. Do you have a link to an article or site that shows or describes the placement of the word Krugerrand in the mountain?

If you take a jeweler's loupe, you can SEE the word "Krugerrand" etched into the left side of the hills below the Springbok's leg, on all of the other silver years. 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.  I don't know about the Gold. The internet offers very little to NOTHING in reference to the word etched in tiny letters in the coin...but if you have one...take a look. It's there. You don't have to take my word for it.  You can SEE it, if you have a silver Krugerrand. I have a 2018 to compare it to. There would be no point in leaving a picture, as it is identical to every other silver Krugerrand, except the word that I am talking about, and the 2017 50th Anniversary Privy emblem..which it DOES have. But as soon as I have time I will leave pics of both sides. I am on a desktop with no Bluetooth capabilities. 

13 hours ago, Greenstang said:

First, Welcome to the Forum

Here is a photo of a genuine silver Krugerrand. I don't see any word "Krugerrand " below the leg.

FYI-  A Krugerrand is not a coin, it is bullion

2017 silver Krugerrand.png

Thank you for welcoming me. Perhaps it is just the 2017 issue that does NOT have the word Krugerrand etched into it. Anyone here that has one can examine the other silver years, and find it. VERY tiny. You would need a jewelers loupe. 

14 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

OK...Found it!  

9 hours ago, WaukeganJoe said:

OK...Found it! 

As far as I can tell it's not on the 2017s or any proofs that I have or have seen, it only appears to be on BUs. It sounds legit.(thumbsu

26 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

As far as I can tell it's not on the 2017s or any proofs that I have or have seen, it only appears to be on BUs. It sounds legit.(thumbsu

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it!

Hi WaukeganJoe,

Here is what I am able to find:

2017 SP - None that I found.

2018 MS & Great Wall Privy - Krugerrand under the mountain and ©SARB18 in the V of the flower above the "E" in Fine

2019 MS - Krugerrand under the mountain and ©SARB19 above the second rock, above the "O" in OZ.

2019 PF Ranger Spacecraft Privy - None that I found.

2020 MS - Krugerrand under the mountain and ©SARB20 above the oval rock above the "ER" in FYNSILWER

2020 PF Spotted Leopard Privy - None that I found.

2021 MS - Krugerrand under the mountain and ©SARB21 above the rock and below the V of the flower above the "E" in Fine.

Best wishes - Denko

Edited by Denko

On the MS 2022 -  Krugerrand is still in the same location under the mountain and ©SARB22 looks like it is above the left front hoof.

4510144_Full_Obv.jpg

Edited by Denko
Added picture.

On 5/30/2021 at 6:38 AM, VKurtB said:

And STILL people have a need to dabble. /smh

And STILL you can't just let people answer his question without throwing gratuitous shade at him. This added nothing useful whatsoever. I do not get why you seem to enjoy doing this so much.