• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your favorite coin and why, irrespective.of value?
2 2

27 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, RWB said:

"Gothic" crown of Victoria.Image1.thumb.jpg.dc738504f27941d767ff6ff2aba11247.jpg

When I first thought of posting this question, I anticipated a complete surprise 😮 and I must say your choice must have surprised a lot of other collectors as well. Extraordinary state of preservation!

8 hours ago, RWB said:

"Gothic" crown of Victoria

Must be a very old one to have Victoria looking that young.  Very nice Roger; coins of the British Empire are always fascinating.

2 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Must be a very old one to have Victoria looking that young.  Very nice Roger; coins of the British Empire are always fascinating.

Date is on the reverse, lower right in Roman numerals - 1847. It's one of the few coins I own for pleasure, not research, and one that I do not intend to sell.

Edited by RWB

35 minutes ago, RWB said:

It's one of the few coins I own for pleasure,

And very nice indeed.  I own some Scot money; also for pleasure.  I don't collect it but the notes I found very attractive.  Thanks.

5 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

That we OWN -- or just wish we had ?   ???

Compromise: one you own and one you would like to have.

13 hours ago, Woods020 said:

Right now it’s a Standing Liberty Quarter that was a recent acquisition. It’s well struck and the toning is simply amazing to my eye.

Really nice example of George Morgan's fix to the 1916 version. The clarity of detail results from his manual touch-up of a Janvier reduction. Compare detail to the 1917 Type II which was made from an unretouched reduction in February 1917.

1 hour ago, RWB said:

Really nice example of George Morgan's fix to the 1916 version. The clarity of detail results from his manual touch-up of a Janvier reduction. Compare detail to the 1917 Type II which was made from an unretouched reduction in February 1917.

The Type II are far inferior. I have been looking for an impressive one for a while now. There is inevitable weakness somewhere. Finding one with all rivets in the shield well defined is next to impossible. 

My favorite series, when found in nice condition, is the Liberty Head or “V” nickels. Or, as the are often pronounced by auctioneers with Pennsylvania “Dutch”, actually German, accents, “Wee Niggles”. There are so many beat to death that when we see nice ones, they are breathtaking.