• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAC result photos
1 1

13 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

I'm surprised they beaned the 82'. It looks more like a MS62 to me. Love the DPL's though!

i am finding out that some of the photos are sooooo detailed that almost all the coins look worse than in hand.  looking at the pics it almost looks barely like an ms62 but in hand it looks much better.  I am just trying to learn how to photograph coins (still cant capture blast whiteness)  does anyone know what the magnification level is for a photo like this (not even sure what the lense is called).  i am thinking that is why alot of sellers post "good" solid pics but not crazy magnification shots.  i still am figuring out the CAC system of what will/will not bean.  some did that were not nearly as nice as some that didnt.  I am looking at the coins closely as they come back hoping to find the secret to success.  I have an OGH ms61 peace 34S that is showing as received by CAC and waiting patiently to find the results.  side by side a newer PCGS holder 34S MS63 it is exactly the same.  that may be the last chance i have for "gold" bean out of my entire collection.:wishluck:

The photos are much nicer color than before. And yes the camera magnifies everything I cry a lot when I bring a coin home after looking at it for a hour thinking I got every possible view. and then bam USB Microscope heart attack.:roflmao: 

Just now, J P Mashoke said:

The photos are much nicer color than before. And yes the camera magnifies everything I cry a lot when I bring a coin home after looking at it for a hour thinking I got every possible view. and then bam USB Microscope heart attack.:roflmao: 

LOLOL yeah i hear that!  i am liking the full slab shots alot more.

PL, DMPL, and proofs are very tough because of the reflective surfaces and need the lighting adjusted from what you use for a regular brilliant coin.   That said you photos are a great start, you may need to play with the white balance and the placement of the lights some to get things the way you want them.

Never use automatic ANYTHING in coin photography, for a start. No auto white balance, no auto exposure, not even auto-focus.   Use an 18% reflectance gray card to determine exposure and the cleanest whitest paper you can to set white balance. Then focus MANUALLY. You are on your way. 

Edited by VKurtB

7 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Never use automatic ANYTHING in coin photography, for a start. No auto white balance, no auto exposure, not even auto-focus.   Use an 18% reflectance gray card to determine exposure and the cleanest whitest paper you can to set white balance. Then focus MANUALLY. You are on your way. 

yes i am slowly starting to figure it out.  this is the first sort of whiteness i got on this CC.  definately a learning process but im having a blast!

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0034 (2).JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

@Coinbuf  these are my nicest pics yet,  i want to send ray a couple once they get looking good.  should i send these??  Thanks soooo much for the contact info.  i am very very pleased with the purchase.

29 minutes ago, dollarfan said:

@Coinbuf  these are my nicest pics yet,  i want to send ray a couple once they get looking good.  should i send these??  Thanks soooo much for the contact info.  i am very very pleased with the purchase.

Those are looking very nice, the top obv photo is great.   The focus is sharp, the lighting is well diffused with no super hot/bright or overly dark areas.  Glad that you are having fun with the photo system, it can be a very satisfying hobby within the hobby.   Here is a link to a site by a guy that literally wrote the book on coin photography, on this site he talks about and gives some tips on how to photograph proofs which may be of some help to you when working with the DMPL coins.  Alot of the articles are very technical but in the "basic coin photography" section he discusses some great basic issues with tips and pointers.

Mark Goodman's website.

Edited by Coinbuf

21 hours ago, dollarfan said:

the DMPL is definately hard to capture.  in hand this is a monster blazer.

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0037 (2).JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

You are getting some real nice shots now Dollarfan. The straight on shot shows the texture and scratches of the metal show up more with a good setup like yours but a close shot with a little light and a small angle will make a coin look good. but it is harder in a slab also. Like VKirtB said, White is the best background 

Edited by J P Mashoke