• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange find
2 2

21 posts in this topic

Kind of looks like some type of glue or adhesive. Looks like there was an attempt to scrape it off by the chin area.

I wonder about brockage. The ripply areas remind me very much of the coin's reverse.

I'm going out on a limb here. It looks like possible clashing to me. Don't have a couple halves handy to see if anything actually matches up. 

11 hours ago, JKK said:

I wonder about brockage. The ripply areas remind me very much of the coin's reverse.

I can see part of the shield under the neck and wing feather tips both front and back of head. Nice coin

Thanks everyone has been a great help. Have been having a hard time trying to figure out what it might be  Worth.  Had someone off for me $30 I feel like that might be too low.

Patman54 - Your 1973 D coin was struck from strongly clashed dies. That means obverse and reverse dies came together in the press without a planchet between them, and they left parts of their designs pressed into each other. The obverse clash is very clear and the reverse is nice too, but not as interesting.

With both sides showing strong clashes, you have an interesting coin that should be worth authentication and grading. The coin is not a high uncirculated pieces, but you should be able to get a good price....certainly much better than $30.

That was a great explanation thank you for that Everyone has been a great help much appreciated. Have been finding out though that disposably could be a one of a kind In 1973-D  Have been hearing from some other acquaintances that ha how been helping me also they have never seen this coin for this year

5 hours ago, Patman54 said:

That was a great explanation thank you for that Everyone has been a great help much appreciated. Have been finding out though that disposably could be a one of a kind In 1973-D  Have been hearing from some other acquaintances that ha how been helping me also they have never seen this coin for this year

I don't think it is a one if a kind piece

A clash occurs when the dies come together without a planchet.  The high speed minting process is going to continue running until an operator notices the damage and pulls the die.  I'm not sure of the press speed for minting 1973 halves, but it is probably multiple coins per second, so there should be others out there.

The value of your coin is due to the strong, visible clashes, not a low number of known examples.