• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2020 D quarter
1 1

70 posts in this topic

On 9/2/2021 at 5:24 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

Pfft! Err! I used a scope for all of 5 minutes before I gave it away.  I prefer my 10x Macro lens clipped to my pixel 3a that mags up to 7x and once I pick my best shot taken I can crop the photo up to 4x more in Edits. 

I think a lot of the problem people have taking nice close and CLEAR photos is that they think they have to TAKE the perfect picture. That's not so. You have to take a butt load of Shots to get the perfect SHOT to be your photo. You pick your best shot and make it a great photo via edits.

Do you get what I'm trying to put across? Imo a scope doesn't take shots that we make into photos. They take photos without there ever being a Shot. (Make sense?) And the photos are SO close up that you can't tell if you're seeing an ear or a fold or even of which side of the Coin you are seeing.

As far as lighting goes, I am a fan of the Photo Box to produce photos so lighting is not an issue. Very easy to make and only costs whatever you pay for a box, a half sheet of poster board, tape, and tissues. Oh! And 2 similar sized lamps with twin bulbs. I prefer White HD bulbs at about 800 Lumens over the more yellow filament type.

Took me about 20 minutes to make mine and my video has been used by lots of other peeps in making their own.

On 9/2/2021 at 5:35 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

As far as lighting goes, I am a fan of the Photo Box to produce photos so lighting is not an issue. Very easy to make and only costs whatever you pay for a box, a half sheet of poster board, tape, and tissues. Oh! And 2 similar sized lamps with twin bulbs. I prefer White HD bulbs at about 800 Lumens over the more yellow filament type.

Took me about 20 minutes to make mine and my video has been used by lots of other peeps in making their own.

One more here...Tooting my own horn...I do take phenomenal shots that become great photos by the time I'm done with them. All with very little effort but maybe a little too much time.

I’m interested in your lighting bit. Is there a link? And in your edits, are you combining individual shots? As in focus brackets?

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/2/2021 at 5:41 PM, VKurtB said:

I’m interested in your lighting bit. Is there a link? And in your edits, are you combining individual shots? As in focus brackets?

Only a link if you have FB. Idk if I have the video in my Google but I should. Sometimes should isn't good enough though. 

I do not join photos. That could be construed as misrepresentation. Mostly I only crop to make certain areas larger larger. However, many times something like an internal die break or a defective planchet, etc  may be hard to see well, as far as how they sometimes disappear a little and pop back up further across the Coin. You know it's 1 big Break and you have to show that. A Break that crosses the entire Coin is more valuable than a Coin with multiple Breaks. So edits in Color and Contrast, or even black and white levels, that kind of thing, can pull all the criss crosses and entanglements of a Crazed Die into the light, so to speak, so it can be seen more clearly and by everyone. 

@VKurtBI am trying Sir. Apparently when I made it was when cell service sucked and it never got fully saved in my google account. I know it is in several of my FB Groups. I just have to figure out how to save it externally. If I can't I'll just make another.  But I'm going to sleep now and will likely work in my yard until dark when I wake up. So it will be tomorrow evening. Thanks for your interest. I made mine to get non-glare photos of Proof Coins. There are tissues over the windows and the windows are between your lights and the Coin, effectively removing the opportunity of glare. I'll get a vid or a link to one tomorrow evening. -Karen

Hey @VKurtB sorry it took so long. Couldn't get my video back so here is the one I used to make it. Well, it's not a video. Idl videos.

https://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-Inexpensive-Photography-Lightbox

On 9/7/2021 at 12:22 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

Hey @VKurtB sorry it took so long. Couldn't get my video back so here is the one I used to make it. Well, it's not a video. Idl videos.

https://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-Inexpensive-Photography-Lightbox

Thank you very much. It’s all good. I’m not one for FB. Likely never will be. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/7/2021 at 1:56 PM, VKurtB said:

I’m not one for FB. Likely never will be. 

I'm with you Kurt.  The boards here are actually the only social media I participate in.

On 9/7/2021 at 4:20 PM, Mohawk said:

I'm with you Kurt.  The boards here are actually the only social media I participate in.

I throw a spear or seven on Twitter.