• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2020 D quarter
1 1

70 posts in this topic

Not exactly sure what to think about this quarter. It is on obverse and reverse of the coin. Whole pieces of letters missing, some have only parts of letters missing. You can also see where it looks like doubling on almost all letters. This to me doesnt look like MD. Need some help though please and thank you 

210526_233807.jpg

210526_235908.jpg

210526_235845.jpg

210526_235657.jpg

210526_235554.jpg

210526_235722.jpg

210526_233901.jpg

210526_235854.jpg

210526_235908.jpg

210526_233935.jpg

210526_235657.jpg

210526_234136.jpg

210526_234222.jpg

It is hard to say? I have been finding with my Microscope camera on some coins that have scratches in the field and letters the reflection of the LED lights make it look like there is crazy doubling. I have to look at all different angles to see if it is real or not.   

Can you post a full pic of the coin front and back? I’m curious to see if it’s circulated. 

I will say that dimes of recent years mintage have a ton of these issues. The dies are worn badly. You will see a lot of die chips and cracks as well. Finding a dime now without something like that it almost seems is rarer than one with something like that it seems. 

4 hours ago, GBrad said:

Based on your pics, what I am seeing is a completely worn out die.  I can tell by the flow lines on the fields of the coin.  This signifies a worn-out die which can lead to die deterioration doubling.  It also appears to be a Dime, not a quarter....Just MHO........

It very well may be a dime considering context of pics. 

5 hours ago, Woods020 said:

Can you post a full pic of the coin front and back? I’m curious to see if it’s circulated. 

I will say that dimes of recent years mintage have a ton of these issues. The dies are worn badly. You will see a lot of die chips and cracks as well. Finding a dime now without something like that it almost seems is rarer than one with something like that it seems. 

This may very well be a dime from 2020

As usual, the Denver mint is putting out some quality circulating coins. With very little coming out of their numismatic shop, what else do they have to do?

4 hours ago, VKurtB said:

As usual, the Denver mint is putting out some quality circulating coins. With very little coming out of their numismatic shop, what else do they have to do?

This one isnt high quality. What else is there to say? Surely you can see what kind of quality they are putting out due to my pics. The naked eye may not see them but a microscope can.

11 hours ago, Tridmn said:

This one isnt high quality. What else is there to say? Surely you can see what kind of quality they are putting out due to my pics. The naked eye may not see them but a microscope can.

If you are suggesting there is an error here, you are again mistaken. 

53 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Suggestion #1: Put away the USB microscope.

I completely agree with VKurtB. These USB microscopes have their purpose but IMO you are better off using a 10x or 12x GOOD Triplet style loupe, under an LED light source, to see the intricacies associated with true doubling. Light sources can cause havoc on the interpretation of determining a real doubled die vs. worthless doubling which is what you have here. Many of the people on this forum are experts and I suggest you take their comments and advice to heart.  I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination (still learning from my own diligent numismatic research and from learning from the experts here)  but I did point out earlier on this thread that your coin exhibited die deterioration doubling. Have you researched this topic in depth in order to make the determination between the different types of doubling in regards to true doubling vs. mechanical/machine, deteriorated die doubling, strike doubling, etc......?  VKurtB is an expert and knows his $hat. So are the others that have commented.
To all: Have a great night and a Great Memorial Day!!!!  Please remember those who gave their lives for our Country which ultimately has allowed us all to enjoy our freedom and to simply be able to sit here and discuss these topics!!!  God Bless. 

4 hours ago, VKurtB said:

No, it’s YOU who may want to check again, and, oh yeah, learn something about the minting process, too. You repeatedly offer up “errors which are not”.

Suggestion #1: Put away the USB microscope. Doing so may help with telling a quarter from a dime, for starters. 

I made a mistake, which is more than you will or can in that thick head of yours CAN'T. It is in fact a dime, however, at the time I had been looking at quarters. So it auto populated. My microscope is my best and easiest way to look at coins. It's not like I have a bionic eye ot something. Perhaps you do. Great for you. Dont sit there high and mighty like you just know "everything". I had my light as low as it would go. You want me to take better pics, then you send me the best one you can find at no charge to me. 

8 hours ago, Tridmn said:

You may want to check again

Explain EVERY, AND I MEAN E V E R Y thing that is wrong with the pics I submitted. IN DETAIL

NOT SOME HALF BUTT THING. SO, LETS GO MR BIG SHOT. 

EXPLAIN WHE THERE ARE 2, COUNT THEM 2 "E'S" AND NOT JUST ONE AS YOU SO BLATANTLY SAID THERE WERE NO ERRORS. LETS GO OLD MAN

Cmon, let’s not have a pxssing contest, agree to disagree. Tridm, don’t be so offended, coin pictures are very hard to do. Vkurt has been very helpful in mine getting better as have many others. Don’t like criticism? Don’t post.

Remember our fallen heroes this weekend.

peace, out

2 hours ago, Tridmn said:

It's not like I have a bionic eye ot something.

Only the Six Million Dollar Man had one of those........ I loved that show!!!!

2 hours ago, Tridmn said:

Explain EVERY, AND I MEAN E V E R Y thing that is wrong with the pics I submitted. IN DETAIL

EXPLAIN WHE THERE ARE 2, COUNT THEM 2 "E'S" AND NOT JUST ONE AS YOU SO BLATANTLY SAID THERE WERE NO ERRORS. LETS GO OLD MAN

In case you didn't know, when you type in all Caps, it typically means you are yelling. So....SHOW SOME RESPECT TO THE SEASONED VETERAN MEMBERS ON THIS FORUM!!!!! Just sayin.......(tsk)

On 5/30/2021 at 9:32 PM, Tridmn said:

Is that a better pic?

20210601_144707.jpg

You are confusing reflections and die deterioration as die doubling which neither are.  This gets back to what Kurt said, high magnification actually exacerbates this confusion for people that do not have the information and skills to identify true doubling.   Clearly you have convinced yourself that you have found something rare and valuable, you have not.   However because you have convinced yourself that you are right you do not want to hear the truth, so I suggest that you send this in for variety service and see for yourself.   Make no mistake I know you will be wasting your money but it seems that is the only course of action that will prove to you what you have.

Edited by Coinbuf

1 hour ago, Tridmn said:

Is that a better pic?

20210601_144707.jpg

What you are seeing here is a perfectly normal E greatly affected by bizarre lighting angles. There is no doubling here. 

Edited by VKurtB

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

What you are seeing here is a perfectly normal E greatly affected by bizarre lighting angles. There is no doubling here. 

If it were under a black light would that serve as a better way to see it then

Just now, Tridmn said:

If it were under a black light would that serve as a better way to see it then

What I am saying in retrospect, in a black or even a different color light other than white light a better way to actually check and look at coins?